OT... kinda... Karl, head's up!

I just saw that Picasa is going away and will be replaced by Google photos. Replaced as in "no choice". There are a lot of opinions out there, but a ny time data is migrated to another location there is always that knowledge that some can get lost or corrupted.

Certainly over the years many of us have enjoyed and learned from your inst ructive photos, your work in progress photos, your Sketchup renderings, etc .

I can't think of how many woodworking photos and how much data you must hav e on Picasa, but it looks like the mandatory reorg/migration is starting ve ry soon.

1758769207

After reading those articles and a few others, it looks to me like the seri ous users want Picasa, and the less frequent want Photos. I don't use eith er, so have no idea what the difference is between them.

Thought I would give you a shout out so you can start shopping for a new ho me or at least investigate the new changes to your data bank with Google.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks, knew about it as a rumor on G+ for sometime now.

Besides, have been a geek too long to put all my eggs in one basket.

All "picasaweb albums" have been available since day one of Google Photos as a "collection" ... migrated automagically.

All of my projects photos/collections besides being on Google, are also in Apple photos and Flickr, just not public.

I use Flickr specifically because they can be saved in the original resolution ... not so with Google or Apple.

As far as Picasa itself, hate it ...

- eWoodShop:

Wood Shop:
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Reply to
Swingman

If Picassa users are being transferred and or jumping ship it might explain why Flickr has become lethargic past the first page of pictures recently. Sometimes the second page loads slowly, the third page and beyond not at all.

Reply to
Leon

What Robert was talking about really doesn't effect my legacy eWoodShop albums that much.

Not sure about future links for picasweb being redirected, but, as an example, the legacy albums have been automagically migrated just by virtue of me also using Google Photos:

IOW, all legacy picaweb "albums", are now "collections" ... the photo "caption" is also transferred, but is now in Info in the right pane.

All in all, so far like it better than Picasaweb for show and tell, and don't need to do a thing to migrate.

That said, and if you will, let me know if you indeed can see the above. Thanks!

Reply to
Swingman

The links work and the it displays nicely.

Reply to
Leon

Well, it works as advertised! And for some reason the display seems cleane r... don't know if that is my imagination or not.

I was concerned as I know you have 1000s of pics, and again, I always enjoy both you and Leon's WIP pics and illustrations of your work. Can't lose t hat stuff. If folks haven't done that type of thing they can't appreciate how much time both you and Leon have in documenting/recording your jobs. I take about a thousand pics a year of my job, with a couple of big inspecti on reports, even more. I just don't have the energy to organize and post t hem up like you and Leon.

By the time I edit, size, sharpen, highlight, crop, annotate, change colors /hues/shading and on a on I am out of steam on the photo business. I have too many to count on several DVDs I am using as storage. The good news the re is that one day I will be looking into building a website and I should h ave plenty of ammo to make some nifty wallpapers and slides showing what I want without taking another picture.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

NO! I noticed that too and the primary reason that I mentioned that it displays nicely. I can't quite put my finger on it.

I post mine straight to flicker From my phone shortly after taking before I forget. Organize??? ;~) Mostly in the order that they get uploaded from the phone. Does you phone have a camera?

It may be obvious but I don't do anything but select the picture and send to Flickr.

I have too many to count on several DVDs I am using as

I keep all of my pictures on my computer secondary HD and on my backups on the cloud.

Reply to
Leon

I really started doing it in earnest with the advent of the cell phone camera.

I've always put together a "House BooK", with usual appliance and fixture information and manufacturer's warranties for purchasers/home buyers, but also starting including a CD/DVD of photos of all the construction stages, particularly showing the location of ALL framing, plumbing, wiring, venting, etc.

I know how much time is spent guessing where things are behind a wall in a remodel, when something breaks/leaks or just needs to be located, and figured, with the advent of digital photography, that it would be foolish to not take advantage of the inexpensive opportunity to take the mystery out of that exercise for future owners.

And, that practice has saved my own butt on a number occasions, what with the lost electrical circuit behind a run of freshly installed kitchen cabinetry, the stray AC drain that didn't get hooked to sink, lost ducts, low voltage wiring, and all those thing that get covered up with drywall when the crew is pushing to finish.

Also surprising how many of my furniture, cabinetry and remodel clients like to follow along with the progress and see how their sausage is being made.

And, speaking of sausage ... I'm jonesing for more of your breakfast sausage. Damn that stuff is GOOD! ... breakfast just ain't the same. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Hell yeah. LOL We signed up with a new termite control company this week. Our original warranty expired after 5 years.

The new company put out 28 Sentracon bait stations around the perimeter of our house and the storage shed. These thing are about 12" tall and go in that deep. The installer used a small gas powered auger that drilled a hole about 2" in diameter. I caught up with him on the North side of the house where all of our water lines go for the water softener. Whew! I took pictures of the installation of the water lines before they were buried and pulled them up quickly on my phone. For certain he was going to drill right on top of two of the pipes.

I have had 4 customers that are/were engineers. All of them, 2 were women, could hardly wait for the next batch of progress pictures to be sent. One of the latest showed all of her fellow engineers the pictures when I sent them. ;~)

Yeah Robert!

Reply to
Leon

I got in the habit of taking a lot of pics of jobs back in the early 80s. I negotiated a supervision/inspection contract with two different companies , neither in Texas. I bought some nice cameras, but my most used was a "po rtrait quality" Polaroid that I spent a fortune on. I found out that not o nly did my clients appreciate me actually showing them problem areas of rep air, but that with FedEx I could have a handful of pics in their hands with a written report overnight in some cases. They were happier and more at e ase and it made it easier for me to get paid.

Sadly, out of the thousands of pictures I have taken both on film and digit ally, I have saved very few. I am not much on reminiscing, so other than t utorial or historical value, they don't mean much. I record things not by photo like you and Leon are talking about to record wiring, plumbing, produ ct labels with model numbers and manufacture dates, etc., but then send the m to my clients. I don't hang on to them myself.

LOL! Kathy and I enjoy those two recipes the most out of all we have tried . Glad you liked them! I tweaked them just a tiny bit from the original b ut like you, I like it the way it is.

Next, I am trying to find the time to make some old fashioned link stuff an d smoke it myself. I do like that breakfast sausage, though!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Yes, it has a camera! It is a lousy one, and to reinforce that I look a th e pics you and Karl take with your cameras and it reinforces how bad it is by today's standards.

I bought the phone based on one thing: battery time. It has been fantastic on that aspect, partly no doubt that it has no advanced features. But eve n though it is a smartphone, it can go up to three days with moderate use w ithout a recharge! I installed a 32gb card internally as it had a 4gb mem c ard when I bought it. All pics go straight to the mem card, and I offload the card as needed via bluetooth with my laptop.

For all my report writing, documentation, and significant records I a coupl e or really nice Panasonic cameras that have ultra wide lenses as well as e xcellent telephoto (think roof details on a large, tall house) that I have had for some time. Pic sized range from about 250K for a down and dirty sh ot to about 15mb per shot depending on what I need.

The next phone I get might send those out to pasture, though.

I am thinking at this point about opening up a free account for my clients with longer jobs and post pics of progress and items of interest for them t o access any time they want. I tried it once and the people liked it and s howed it to their friends but it didn't get me any more business so I haven 't done another. I took WIP pics, lots of before and after, items of inter est, color mixes on paint cans, etc., and the novelty wore off pretty quick ly. I got pretty tired of it because the client was asking me when I was g oing to post more pics! They thought it was a service provided in my contr act, not a neat little "gimme".

I am looking at a repository for my pics, and while I use photobucket now, they spam me about 3-4 times a week, and they have so many video ads on the ir free sites that it will almost crash a slower connection. I saw where F lickr has just upgraded to one TERABYTE for free, and no Google Photos is u nlimited. Things to think about, no doubt.

BTW... glad you liked the sausage, too!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

FWIW most all 3 models of iPhones that I have owned, last 3 days on a charge. Now I do turn off a lot of unwanted features.

Reply to
Leon

Wow! I had no idea. All the iPhone folks I know report >>substantially

Reply to
nailshooter41