OT kinda...? about posting

Since Google "improved" their "Google groups", I can't seem to post under my old moniker, "Never Enough Money". Instead it shows my e-mail address. How do I get my old monoker back? I notice many postings still use nicknames -- they must not be using Google.
BTW, the new Google groups is fantastic in every other way.. especially the "starred topics" feature.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

And I quote from Google Groups Help:
Browse Google Groups Beta Support
Groups Support > For Google Groups Users
How can I change my nickname?
Once you've signed in, click the 'Manage my subscriptions' link on the main Google Groups page. Then type in the nickname you'd like to use for each group you've joined or designate one nickname for all groups. Don't forget to save your changes.
You can change your nickname whenever you submit a new posting. Just click 'change nickname' next to your name. If this does not answer your question, please search or browse Google Groups Beta Support for more assistance. If you are unable to find your answer, please contact us.
Hope it helps.
-Phil Crow
Ok, let's see if that worked.....
I post through netscape 4.8 news reader through my ISP.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

And it boggles your mind why, exactly? A number of threads related to Google's new beta some flummy have been cropping up all over the place, and I still have practically no idea what you guys are whining about. There are a gazillion newsreaders for every platform known to man.
Silvan wrote:

The problem occurs when you have an ISP that doesn't host newsgroups. Then you have to find a way to connect to them. If you're using Google to get to the usenet and haven't already, check with your ISP, you may be able to bypass Google entirely. Then the question of newsreaders comes into play. Assuming that you don't like the one built into your browser. Netscape has one built in, Firefox, Agent, Xnews and plenty of others are out there for free if you want to avoid using MS products.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

http://www.individual.net /
Problem solved. Their only unusual stipulation is that they require people to post with a working reply address, even if it's pointed at some hotmail account they never intend to read.
I guess I'm just old school, but I've never seen a newsreader built into a web browser or a web-based usenet (or email) interface that didn't thoroughly suck. I guess that stuff is good if you use different computers in different places a lot.

Mine does offer newsgroups- or at least it did. Now it umm... kinda offers usenet- when it feels like it. So for $11.95/mo I just subscribed to Giganews, and it's a far sight better than any of the ISP offered servers I've seen. Much faster, and with almost insane retention rates. There are also a lot of free text-only news servers if you search on the Google string "news server." I'm sure there are some reasons to use Google for Usenet, but I just can't stand using the WWW for the application. That Google setup is just irritating to me! (the old one and the new one alike)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
"Prometheus" wrote in message

Hate to brag on it, but you're right about Giganews.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Just to chime in with a third endorsement for Giganews. I tried Teranews and had a) intermittent service, even with the paid subscription and b) for some reason was unable to download all binaries from abpf or abpw; some posts would just hang and not provide data. This could have been partially the fault of DirecWay, my ISP, but between trying to understand some person on the other side of the world (or make them understand my problem) after interminable hold times and TeraNews's pretty much unhelpful help desk, I decided life was too short to spend time to get others to improve their service and just switched. So far, I can now see all postings on the binary sites and have yet to get a "server unavailable" error from Teranews. I still had problems with the binaries the first day or two after switching, but a computer reboot cleared out whatever vestiges of Teranews that Agent was apparently still carrying with it.
"Silvan" wrote in message

I only use Google to search/research Usenet archives and it appears that they took the beta carping to heart.
The "new" search page returns on Usenet this morning, when I was looking for drill sizes for 10-32 threaded brass inserts in the Wreck archives, works, and looks, better than it did a week or so ago.
However, things ain't the same in more ways than one: I've posted over 4000 messages in this forum in the last few years. About 3200 showed up on a search with the original beta a couple of weeks back, and only 1450 showed up today under the new system.
Point is, they've also obviously changed something besides the "look".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

Oh no. You mean my 25,000 message legacy just evaporated? I wrote all of that stuff for posterior, and now it's gone?
"Silvan" wrote in message ...

Well, you know what they say, get it in your head, blow it out your ass.
;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

And I'm so deeply, deeply depressed, because everything I eat turns to shit.

Well, if you consider that a goodly portion of them were about your wife, then you can consider them to be disposable anyway. :)

news.individual.net is a good, free usenet server that you can use from your existing isp account. Free, fast, reliable, and they're very good about cancelling spam posts. Dave Hinz