OT: Kids like this one.

A woodworker near here passed away recently. When he died, he had 17 boards of Brazilian Rosewood.
In his will, he had left 1/2 of those boards to his oldest son, 1/3 to his middle son, and 1/9 to his youngest son. The family discussed/argued/fought over how to best split up the lumber. To no avail. No matter how hard they tried, they could not make the fractions work into the number 17, and nobody wanted to cut those boards.
The village idiot made a suggestion that worked. He suggested he'd lend them one of his boards which would make the total 18. The oldest son got 9 boards The middle son got 6 boards and the youngest got 2 boards.
9+6+2, and the Village idiot took his board back and walked off whistling and thinking who the idiots really were.
-------------------------- CAVEAT!!!! This was meant to be a cute little thing to share with your loved ones, NOT intended to be the fuel for a mathematical flame-war.

That's the difference between a woodworker and a machinist. For a woodworker, it all came out "close enough". A machinist would have labored over the precision.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

-

Converting the fractions to decimal you get, 17 x .5 =8.5 17 x .333 = 5.6 17 x .111 = 1.88
8.5+5.6+1.88 in round numbers. I wonder who the old man wanted the last board given to! Pretty simple to see that if you round the numbers up you end up with 17 boards, but that is not what the will stated! Greg
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 12:27:15 -0600, "Greg O"

I'm not sure what the point of the story was. Dad can't add? 17/18 is close enough to 1 for a wood worker?

*sound of buzzer*
Nope.. that's not it.

Not for the wannabe machinists who use micrometers to set their saw.

What did the youngest son do to get so screwed?
Where did he find 17 identically sized pieces of rosewood? Don't tell me he bought them s4s!
And since he knew none of his kids appreciated his woodworking (remember, nobody wanted to cut the wood) he'd be a smart ass about it. Clearly he was a regular wreck poster.
-Leuf

hey, we're talking about a group of folks who say 12/4 instead of 3"s... what do you expect from poor dad?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

that one?
Gary

They all should be happy. The each got more than their allotted share.

That's why we luvs Leon. *G*