OT - Katrina and Insurance Claims

Page 4 of 5

In all likelihood, someone will pay. What I suspect will happen is the uninsured will be given the option of taking on a low interest loan that's sponsored by FEMA. A lot of people will go bankrupt. Property will go abandoned and decline. Then for the property that goes untouched, but needs repair, eventually local residents will get upset when those properties become problems, so they'll pressure government to come in and fix the problem, so eventually, taxpayers will foot the bill. Its just a question of how long the unrepaired properties will be allowed to fall into further disrepair before government takes over those properties and rehabs them or demolishes them.
I agree with the general discussion but...
I have seen it mentioned several places that only 40% of the population had flood insurance.
Now if you have 60% of the population that can't afford to rebuild because of losses, what do you think the politicians will do?
Also remember that over one million people are homeless at this time.
That is a significant number of votes.
TMT

That would mean that 60% of the properties (assuming we're talking about homes in flood plain, which I appears to include all of coastal LA and MS) are free and clear of any mortgage or other lien (home equity loan, home equity line of credit). No lender would have a lien on a home in flood plain without requiring flood insurance. Maybe that number is correct, but it sounds high to me.

Sure it is. For people in LA and MS. I don't know how much pressure those homeless can exert on our fine senators here in Illinois.
todd

been homeless before the mess, had it not been for our government. As a law, it should be imposed that people on welfare should not be allowed to vote.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a

Likewise government 'workers' should not be allowed to vote.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

That too!!!! :)
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a

You mean, like all those people who're supposedly fighting for our freedom in Iraq and Afgahnistan? What about government contractors too? Teachers? Librarians? Nah! I saw, just have an IQ test to vote. Anyone over 120 gets to vote, which would probably leave out most of the people who are commenting in this thread, including possibly me, and also most of congress, and the guy in the White House. I am joking.
Shawn Hirn wrote:

Actually it's not the government employees voting that I object to but the formation of Public Employee Unions that extorts, (You have to pay the union even if you aren't a member), billions of dollars from public employees and funds the crack pots (Democrats).
--
There are in fact two things, Science and opinion,
the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance.
Pope Secola VI wrote:

theyd fund the republicans, too... if the republicans would support em.
no different than all the oil money going to bush and his friends, and bush giving them sweet subsidies.

I don't see those troops supporting or defending OUR Constitution or our Bill of Rights. They are supporting politicians and big government.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

find yourself in deeeeep sh*t.)

I do remember being stationed overseas and twice the absentee ballots arrived in the mail after the formal voting was done. Not just a single event but across the post. Of course your vote still counted, but did not really seem to matter all that much after the fact.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Congress critters are smarter than the rest of us. We voted for THEM, remember??? They didn't vote for us...

Fortunately, you are not in charge. Our government got rid of that draconian policy ages ago. If democracy bothers you, there are plenty of countries where you can happily live under a dictatorship. Perhaps we could limit voting on to those who know this country's history, but that would clearly let you out.
Shawn Hirn wrote:

There is a difference between a dictatorship and a republic where only the rich get a vote. Poor people wouldn't see much difference but rich people would.
I'm coming to the opinion that everyone in the country (including those born here) should pass the same kind of citizenship tests and swear the same kind of oaths that immigrants must in order to obtain the rights of citizenship. It seems odd to have two standards.
Anthony

This is the American Republic, not the american denocracy. Those of us who wish to restore the Republic will not move, but will wage civil war at the correct time. You are welcome to take the opposite side if you choose, voting will be by bullets. ;)
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Too funny. :)
Do remember too that when this civil war breaks out, which side the veterans will be on! They have a tendency not to want to leave this country. Go figure.
I think a better voter would be one that knows this is a Republic, knows the true history, and has done something for this country. Of course this would leave out all the liberals.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a

What a crock! I am a liberal and I well understand this country's history. Although I was born at a time where I was either too young to serve in a war or too old, but most of the veterans I know are liberal and risked their lives serving in the military in Korea, Vietnam, or during WW II and have worked hard all their lives paying taxes and contributing in various ways toward society. Further, some of the wealthiest Americans are liberal.
Your comments speak loudly to the fact that you have no clue what you're talking about. Your claim to be a font of knowledge of American history is at best, dubious, given your silly statements about liberals.
We are a Representative Republic, but I have heard many people, both conservatives and liberals deny that fact.
Shawn Hirn wrote:

You do know that you cannot refute the meatballs who classify everyone either/or, as your taunter does? They have limited intelligence, very limited. As a former Marine, I can state that not all the veterans are going to be in the side of the meatballs. Unfortunately, some of those I know will be, but not anything like even a simple majority.

Most of those I know are what are called Conservative in todays lingo. Myself included.

Oh dear God..you are saying there are some Rich Corporate Greedy Slave owning rip off the public capitalists?
Oh please..say it aint so. Rich elitiests...liberals...oh my God.....
Gunner