OT: Just Because I Was Listening To It

When I get off of this mountain, you know where I want to go? Straight down the Mississippi river, to the Gulf of Mexico To Lake Charles, Louisiana, little Bessie, girl that I once knew She told me just to come on by, if there's anything she could do
Refrain:
Up on Cripple Creek she sends me If I spring a leak she mends me I don't have to speak, she defends me A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
Good luck had just stung me, to the race track I did go She bet on one horse to win and I bet on another to show The odds were in my favor, I had 'em five to one When that nag to win came around the track, sure enough she had won
(refrain)
I took up all of my winnings, and I gave my little Bessie half And she tore it up and threw it in my face, just for a laugh Now there's one thing in the whole wide world, I sure would like to see That's when that little love of mine, dips her doughnut in my tea
(refrain)
Now me and my mate were back at the shack, we had Spike Jones on the box She said, "I can't take the way he sings, but I love to hear him talk" Now that just gave my heart a throb, to the bottom of my feet And I swore and I took another pull, my Bessie can't be beat
(refrain)
Now there's a flood out in California and up north it's freezing cold And this living on the road is getting pretty old So I guess I'll call up my big mama, tell her I'll be rolling in But you know, deep down, I'm kind of tempted To go and see my Bessie again. Regards,
<SNIP>
Love that song too. . . I rented the Last Waltz when we first joined Blockbuster.com. I was interesting seeing the guys who made the music - especially already knowing what was in store for them in the future.
Cheers
Jim

As one musician once said: "sure's a lot of people ending up dead around Levon."
Personally, I never really took to The Band much. I really enjoy Robbie's solo stuff and play it all the time. Some of the Band's songs are nice tunes, but I fail to see the OMG aspect of them. Danko ROCKED on Roger Water's The Wall concert in Berlin.

Agreed. I remember Time magazine comparing them to the Beatles. Not! OTOH, their music was a breath of fresh air at the time, when bubblegum and funk and early metal were all over the airwaves. Their music was melodic and could be sang or whistled or hummed. To this day, I still get chills when I hear Across the Great Divide or The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down (despite abhoring that whole Dixie schtick). The Weight is an all time fave and who can keep the toes from tapping during Rag, Mama, Rag? Great stuff.

DOH! Pink Floyd. Now there's a band I have no use for and the best thing Rick Danko ever did was Jave Blues.
nb
Tom Watson wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIpfhEwlw5c

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Thanks, Swing.
Don't them boys look young?
(didn't we all?)
Regards,

Levon didn't look quite so good on Letterman last night. Sounded okay though.
Mike O.