OT: Just a thought.

Page 4 of 8
On 7/27/2011 2:33 AM, Bill wrote:

Yes you do need the capacity of the Blu-ray to hold a typical full length HD movie. I would suspect that if the movie is in Blu-ray it would be HD.

I hear you on that front. Since switching to DVR's some 6-7 years ago I use the other boxes less and less. I am not the kind of person to watch a movie more than once unless it is damn good.

On 7/27/2011 5:58 AM, Leon wrote:

Unless, of course, it has Ashely Judd in it; or is starts with "O'Brother...", or "World's Fastest Indian". ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/27/2011 8:30 AM, Swingman wrote:

I think you named all but one! ~). Don't forget Second Hand Lions.
Leon wrote:

Me too, but I have more invested in VHS tapes, DVDs, and audio cassettes than I do in the players. I'm not ready to trash them all yet!
It should be nice to invoke (audio) mp3 files on my computer from the tv in the living room. I will listen to them more.
Bill

I have one ethernet cable going to my NetGear router/transmitter. Period. The rest is now WiFi. 2 iMacs, a G4 for email and browsing, an Apple Powerbook, and 2 PC's, one of which is a laptop, a laser printer and an AppleTV going to my plasma via HDMI. Flawless performance.

The Verizon Wifi router that I have is indeed long in the tooth. It often requires more than 1 or 2 attempts to log on to that f'ing radio. I will remodel the LAN any time soon now <grin>. Then I have to find out whether to get another router and if so which one. At the moment the WR1424 or whatever the VZ router is called is only 10/100, as are most all other things on the LAN. Need to find out whether I should rewire for gigabit LAN ...
This'll be a wintertime project.
--
Best regards
Han

If you replace the router with a gigabit router, you might be able to take advantage of gigabit immediately. Most cables for some time now have been cat 5e, which supports gigabit speeds. (I may not be getting 1000 mbs on my older cables, but it's much faster than 100.)
You won't see faster internet, but computer-to-computer transfers will be much faster.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

Thanks!! Do you have any advice as to a good cost-effective gigabit router??
--
Best regards
Han

I'd check the various sales sites that have reviews and look for at least 4 stars with lots of reviews. As long as you don't want to do anything fancy like internal DNS, most gigabit routers will work for you. (If you don't know what that is, you probably don't need it.)
If you want wireless, make sure it supports 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n for maximum compatibility.
You can also buy a gigabit switch, connect it to the router and then connect all your computers to the switch. It won't save you much money, but should just plug in and work.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in
Thanks!
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

I got confused there for a minute. Since this is a WOODWORKING newsgroup, I thought you were talking about some kinda super digital, cnc inspired, router. Then I looked at the previous messages, it became apparent I was mistaken.
Carry on.
On 27 Jul 2011 21:01:55 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Which is why I've added a USB3 interface card and an external USB3 drive to my computer. They're an excellent addition when it comes to backing up my computer.
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 04:51:08 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

What? No tablet or Ipad? Personally, I'm waiting for a Xoom 3g/4g to come out in Canada and then I'll be prepared to buy.

I'm looking closely at webOS on the Samsung tablet.... so nope, no iPad yet. I can't consolidate it in my daily affairs. Stuff like appointments, contacts, are all handled just nicely by my BB.

So, can your -TV- get viruses from dem poan sites now?
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mine is immune. Yours??
--
Best regards
Han

2002 Panasonic with 27" flat tube hooked only to a DVD player through the surround receiver? I'll not likely need immunity with no feed. ;)
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Larry Jaques wrote:

Just a hunch: I doubt your tv is smart enough to pick up a virus. It's not like it's much a computing platform. But writing one to your USB Flash memory--that may be a different story.
Surely there is a reader who is wililng to tell me how wrong I am. : )

On 7/27/2011 9:45 AM, Bill wrote:

Well, if your TV is dumb enough to be a Windows PC, look for 100 viruses/day... Unix based, not so much, cause no one uses Unix TV's, no one writes for those buggers:-)
--
Jack
Got Change ====> Now CHANGE it BACK!