OT. July 1st and 4th.

"Robatoy" wrote

Easy there big fella.

If you are gonna wear wood shoes to the wreck, you need to supply some jpeg's and color commentary on how they are made.

International wood dorking etiquette, ya know.

And for the record, your silly credentials are impeccable.

;)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

do the math.. 240,000 times...... say a dollar profit?

A pair of wooden shoes make lovely pair of planters to hang on a wall.

A game of soccer on a cobble-stone town square is a sound to behold.

Reply to
Robatoy

Neat link. Thought the one mis-spelling I caught was rather ironic:

"... When finnished, ...", especially given the subject.

Mark & Juanita

Because they're all too busy making our jointers, sneakers, toasters, socks, mowers, computers, phones, vacuums, band saws, TVs, kiddie pools, pooper scoopers, VCRs, fridgidators, watches, circular saws, pots & pans, DVDs, "I Support Our Troops" car magnets, trousers, air-nailers, t-shirts, drill chucks, whiffle balls, table lamps, blenders, hair combs, garden hoses, lathes, kitchen knives, nail clippers, air compressors, popcorn poppers, bicycles, military berets, scissors, microwaves, drill presses, hedge trimmers, volley balls, printers, patio tables, weed wackers, planers, freezers, sun glasses, and American flags we'll be flying on this 4th of July to be reading a newsgroup on woodworking.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Not to mention the horrendous flame wars that would ensue...

AFAIK, China won't allow citizens to access the BBC, much less the wildlands of usenet. It's a shame, really.

Reply to
Prometheus

Access depends on where you are. BBC, CNN, Sky TV, other satellite programming is readily available in the major cities and all over SE China, from Hong Kong to Guangzhou. Time, Newsweek, the Economist, are also available, but are overshadowed in quality by the Far East Economic Review, partially owned by Dow Jones, which is printed in Hong Kong. Usenet, including talk.political.china is read at all of the major universities -- the reason you may not have seen it is that the threads are almost entirely in Chinese.

Having visited every province in China, including Tibet and many of the rural areas, I'll tell you I've rarely been in a place where there wasn't some electrical power and TV transmissions (mostly Chinese-owned networks). If you're actually interested in Chinese TV, you can subscribe to mainland Chinese channels through DirectTV and Dish Network, whose offerings include TVB, ATV, and CCTV (Hong Kong and Mainland channels) as well as Phoenix (Taiwan) and other Asian channels. Among other avenues, the thousands of Chinese students studying in western schools are getting immersed in Western ways.

The Genie is out of the bottle, between Chinese access to media and their tourism. With 40+ airlines and easy access to Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, U.S., etc., many average Chinese families are getting a first hand look at life in other countries. To my experience, the most usual reactions (e.g., Singapore, Hong Kong, U.S.) are:

  1. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here --
  2. The food isn't very good

Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler