OT. July 1st and 4th.

Page 1 of 2

Wreckers and Wreckees!!
Just wanted to take a moment and wish all of my American and Canadian friends a great weekend. It is Canada Day July 1st and Independence Day July 4th. I will be celebrating both sides of the border all weekend long with bi-national friends from all over.
Raising a toast to my new-found acquaintances in the Wreck and I gotta tell you..this place is pretty damned cool.
CHEERS!
PS I am dumping my kill-file and starting a fresh one.. I'm hoping I won't need it much.

Celebrating on both sides of the border??
Isn't there a law against that? ;)

Only in Quebec where they celebrate Bastille Day

Nope. After all, we're all Americans. :-P

Who is "we"?
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:27:20 GMT, the opaque Bob Martin

The VAST majority of those reading this newsgroup. Other than the few handfuls of Europeans, Aussies, and an occasional African (I'm from Nairobi, Maam. Isn't everyone?), we're all (South/Latin/North) Americans here, Bwana.
- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - -------------------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming

By "we're all Americans", I was referring to the citizens of the United States of America and of Canada - the people who will be celebrating July 4th and July 1st, as indicated by the thread subject. I'm not saying everyone on the wreck is American.

Maybe the vast majority of *contributors* are American but how do you know that everyone in China isn't *reading* it? ;-)

Cuz the chinese government has strict controls on the internet. They strictly limit access because the feel that any free exchange of ideas will lead eventually to their downfall. Can you imagine the effects of unlimited access to the Wreck would have on the politics and economics of the People's Republic of China?
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:51:27 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

Not to mention the horrendous flame wars that would ensue...
AFAIK, China won't allow citizens to access the BBC, much less the wildlands of usenet. It's a shame, really.

Access depends on where you are. BBC, CNN, Sky TV, other satellite programming is readily available in the major cities and all over SE China, from Hong Kong to Guangzhou. Time, Newsweek, the Economist, are also available, but are overshadowed in quality by the Far East Economic Review, partially owned by Dow Jones, which is printed in Hong Kong. Usenet, including talk.political.china is read at all of the major universities -- the reason you may not have seen it is that the threads are almost entirely in Chinese.
Having visited every province in China, including Tibet and many of the rural areas, I'll tell you I've rarely been in a place where there wasn't some electrical power and TV transmissions (mostly Chinese-owned networks). If you're actually interested in Chinese TV, you can subscribe to mainland Chinese channels through DirectTV and Dish Network, whose offerings include TVB, ATV, and CCTV (Hong Kong and Mainland channels) as well as Phoenix (Taiwan) and other Asian channels. Among other avenues, the thousands of Chinese students studying in western schools are getting immersed in Western ways.
The Genie is out of the bottle, between Chinese access to media and their tourism. With 40+ airlines and easy access to Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, U.S., etc., many average Chinese families are getting a first hand look at life in other countries. To my experience, the most usual reactions (e.g., Singapore, Hong Kong, U.S.) are:
1. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here -- 2. The food isn't very good
Regards --
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:43:57 GMT, the opaque Bob Martin

Because computers run by bicycle-powered gensets are less reliable? They tend to have either full-technology cities or fully-primitive cities over there, with few in between, though that's changing as we send our billions to them for every petty product known to man.
- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - -------------------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming

Because I'm pretty certain that this group has been blocked by PRC government as seditious, and often downright revolting!
Patriarch, veering dangerously further off topic...

"But Sire, the prisoners are revolting!"
"You're telling me, they stink on ice"
(History of the World part 2)

Because they're all too busy making our jointers, sneakers, toasters, socks, mowers, computers, phones, vacuums, band saws, TVs, kiddie pools, pooper scoopers, VCRs, fridgidators, watches, circular saws, pots & pans, DVDs, "I Support Our Troops" car magnets, trousers, air-nailers, t-shirts, drill chucks, whiffle balls, table lamps, blenders, hair combs, garden hoses, lathes, kitchen knives, nail clippers, air compressors, popcorn poppers, bicycles, military berets, scissors, microwaves, drill presses, hedge trimmers, volley balls, printers, patio tables, weed wackers, planers, freezers, sun glasses, and American flags we'll be flying on this 4th of July to be reading a newsgroup on woodworking.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Wellll..no..... I'm a Dutch born Canadian of Swiss ancestry....if that's okay with you guys... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <G>
"Robatoy" wrote

But, do you have to wear the silly shoes?

Okay, buddy, what's wrong with my shoes, huh? Is this a wood-related group or not, eh?
And, to paraphrase another well-known statement:
Shoes don't make people silly people make people silly.

Easy there big fella.
If you are gonna wear wood shoes to the wreck, you need to supply some jpeg's and color commentary on how they are made.
International wood dorking etiquette, ya know.
And for the record, your silly credentials are impeccable.
;)

http://library.thinkquest.org/C005615/data/english_text/woodenshoes.html
Now... do the math.. 240,000 times...... say a dollar profit?
A pair of wooden shoes make lovely pair of planters to hang on a wall.
A game of soccer on a cobble-stone town square is a sound to behold.