OT: It had to happen.

Page 3 of 4

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:

Hopefully it will make those poor confused little street L's feel better about themselves.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
We certainly can't go asking for pipe nipples anymore either. Woodpecker

There is a part in plumbing called a nipple... Wonder what they'll rename them to.

HEY!! It was just ONE Californian who filed that suit. Given the population, the ratio ain't that bad.
-JBB

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:04:54 -0500, "G.E.R.R.Y."

Nope. Us Kanuckistanis were responsible for that. It was made up from Canada and oleum, the Latin word for oil. Rapeseed oil has a number of toxic components, but Canadian researchers bred rapeseed varieties whose oil is edible and wanted a name to distinguish it from the original.
DON' snipped-for-privacy@aci.on.ca says...

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

From what I read, it was a Los Angeles County Gov't thing. They want everything to be "PC", so master and slave designations are not to be used in documentation, bid proposals, etc.
--
Mike Iglesias Email: snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
On 26 Nov 2003 22:01:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) wrote:

George in Maine snipped-for-privacy@ctel.net
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:11:27 -0500, George J. Dekelbaum

The memo was followed up by sending several workers out with masking tape and a magic marker to change the labels on over a thousand pieces of equipment. Gov't dollars at work!
Glen

Glen responds:

Seems a black man had actually made a complaint about the labeling showing discrimination, back in May. That was when the tape-over incident occured, according to an article I just read.
Sandoval, the turkey who actually made the "request" notes that we have to keep an eye on this kind of thing.
What bullshit, to be polite.
This country has an absolutely amazing number of things for which we should be very, very thankful. Fools walking around looking for insults to them or their preciouis dignity are not among them.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
This might be an urban myth, but was there not a discussion between a major soda drink maker and a society group that took issue with the letter "k" that was encircled on the soda bottle. The soda maker said it was there to signify that it was 'kosher', and the society group said it, to them, was a truncated version to represent the 'kkk.'

--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

There is only one period and no underscores in the real email address.

Remember when "Friendlys" restaurants/ice cream parlors started life as "Sambo's"?????? Nahmie
I was wondering what happened to Sambo's.

On 27 Nov 2003, Norman D. Crow spake unto rec.woodworking:

    Friendly's has been Friendly's for almost 70 years. Sambo's was a small chain like Denny's. They got into trouble with the PC police back in the 1970's, changed the name to "No Place Likle Sam's" for a while, and went belly-up shortly thereafter.
    Maybe Friendly's opened some franchise locations in former Sambo's spots, but Friendly's has always been a separate entity.
    Anybody ever take them up on their Fribble deal? A Friendly's Fribble was a giant ice-cream based milkshake, probably about 2750 calories worth. Back when I was a kid, they had a special offer - if you could consume two of them at one sitting, you would immediately get a third one, free. If they did that now, they'd have to include a gift certificate for Lipitor as well.
<snip>

I stand corrected. The Sambo's here did change their name, but I didn't remember them going belly up. Seemed like there was a very seamless transition from "No Place etc." to Friendly's. Then again, I spent a lot of time out of town in company training centers during the mid/late 70's, so it might have all gone by while I was away. Nahmie
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:23:59 GMT, Scott Cramer

That's what I thought, Scott. Thanks.
Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...
Trent
Aha! I didn't read about in the paper, but I got a different impression from (John and Ken Show, KFI) the radio. They made it sound like the taping over was more recent. Thanks for the update.
Glen

snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

One of the memos apparently went out November 18: <http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20954~1791069,00.html

Swingman wrote:

I think so, yes. Probably right after we have our first official Emperor, and the Congress is disbanded.