OT: It had to happen.

.... absolutely priceless! :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

The memo was followed up by sending several workers out with masking tape and a magic marker to change the labels on over a thousand pieces of equipment. Gov't dollars at work!

Glen

snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu

Reply to
Glen

Glen responds:

Seems a black man had actually made a complaint about the labeling showing discrimination, back in May. That was when the tape-over incident occured, according to an article I just read.

Sandoval, the turkey who actually made the "request" notes that we have to keep an eye on this kind of thing.

What bullshit, to be polite.

This country has an absolutely amazing number of things for which we should be very, very thankful. Fools walking around looking for insults to them or their preciouis dignity are not among them.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hee... That gives one thoughts though. "We're offended because this male connector won't mate with the other male connector, and the female connector won't mate with the other female connector. This computer equipment is heterosexually biased, and we're offended. To avoid this offense, you need to examine the population in your workplace and label all female connectors as 'asshole' connectors, and/or re-label all male connectors as 'strap-on' connectors. 'Strap-ons' in the 'asshole' won't offend either group, so that would be the preferred labelling in a mixed-gender workplace."

Reply to
Silvan

This might be an urban myth, but was there not a discussion between a major soda drink maker and a society group that took issue with the letter "k" that was encircled on the soda bottle. The soda maker said it was there to signify that it was 'kosher', and the society group said it, to them, was a truncated version to represent the 'kkk.'

Reply to
Mo' Sawdust

GERRY asks:

Yeah, many of us do. And many of us realize that the basis for the trade was often the selling of battle captives between tribes, as slaves, and to slave traders, often Arab, again as slaves.

But the BS artists continue to put up the claims that we're all now responsible for past slavery, and that even black who emigrated here from Jamaica 15 years ago are entitled to reparations for slavery...though most of us come from families that never owned slaves in the first place.

Sometimes, the PC types, conservative and liberal alike, get almost incredibly thick on the ground with silly demands.

Charlie Self

"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:04:54 -0500, "G.E.R.R.Y."

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Aha! I didn't read about in the paper, but I got a different impression from (John and Ken Show, KFI) the radio. They made it sound like the taping over was more recent. Thanks for the update.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Problem here is that the problem is not congress -- the problem is the emperors and triumvirates we have sitting in the courts making laws or reading into laws things that were never there rather than interpreting and clarifying laws.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

.. dadgummit! Keep this up and I'm gonna hafta buy Windex in bulk! (I'm not going to stop drinking tea while reading the newsgroups -- probably otta swallow before clicking "next" though)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

LOL.

Makes ya wonder... Because of "master/slave's" S&M connotations, couldn't another "lifestyle" group claim that they are being discriminated against because LA County considers those words offensive?

Reply to
Keith Carlson

In article Did Californians also cause *rapeseed* to be renamed *canola*?

Or "slimehead" to "orange roughy"?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Remember when "Friendlys" restaurants/ice cream parlors started life as "Sambo's"?????? Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

One of the memos apparently went out November 18:

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I was wondering what happened to Sambo's.

Reply to
CW

Yes, some of us know that. It is a relatively small but very vocal group who feel the need to apologize for being white, American, ect.

"G.E.R.R.Y."

Reply to
CW

Just you wait. Six months from now we'll be reading about it in the papers, and you'll find out Silvan was right about the whole thing. :)

Reply to
Silvan

On 27 Nov 2003, Norman D. Crow spake unto rec.woodworking:

Friendly's has been Friendly's for almost 70 years. Sambo's was a small chain like Denny's. They got into trouble with the PC police back in the 1970's, changed the name to "No Place Likle Sam's" for a while, and went belly-up shortly thereafter.

Maybe Friendly's opened some franchise locations in former Sambo's spots, but Friendly's has always been a separate entity.

Anybody ever take them up on their Fribble deal? A Friendly's Fribble was a giant ice-cream based milkshake, probably about 2750 calories worth. Back when I was a kid, they had a special offer - if you could consume two of them at one sitting, you would immediately get a third one, free. If they did that now, they'd have to include a gift certificate for Lipitor as well.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Trent, just a suggestion. When you give a short response to a long message, could you please only quote enough so we all know what you're responding to? It's a pain to page through the original to find that all that was added was a one-line comment :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I stand corrected. The Sambo's here did change their name, but I didn't remember them going belly up. Seemed like there was a very seamless transition from "No Place etc." to Friendly's. Then again, I spent a lot of time out of town in company training centers during the mid/late 70's, so it might have all gone by while I was away. Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow