OT(ish): How do you find the motivation??

Greets!
So I am half way through building some custom cabinets under our breakfast bar and stalled. I meant to do a buncha work last Sunday, but just cleaned the shop and then glued up a panel for a door.
Part of my problem is that I am an avid cyclist, and the weather has been very warm for this time of year in WI. This project really has to get done before the cycling season cranks up as I ride 10 - 15 hours per week and really won't have a lotta spare time given my affection for cooking, eating and beer (both production and consumption).
I just don't seem to be able to get excited anymore about the project. Quit the day job, perhaps ;-) ?
Help!
D'ohBoy
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

As an athlete, you should know that a frequently used technique is to visualize the desired result. Scoring the touchdown, making the kick, sinking the long putt, etc. You just need to visualize the finished project and allow yourself to feel the sense of accomplishment that come when the job is done.
If none of that psycho-babble works for you, go ride your bike and pay somebody else to finish the job. :-)
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

If he's married (not in his OP), he could also envision his wifes response to non-completion.
Life is a combination of both positive reinforcements for those things we want to do and negative reinforcements regarding those things we are reluctant towards.
He may need the carrot AND the stick on this one. ;-)
Bill
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

Simple idea:
(I) Start off each weekend with a list of everything I intend/need to to. You can prioritize while you are making the list. You may not get "everything" done, but at least you'll have optimized your use of your time (with respect to your priorities). I find I get more done just by having a list. YMMV, --Bill

On 27 Mar 2007 05:37:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Here's how I work it. I always want to start a new project, but stop my myself until the current working project is completed. If the project is major and disrupts everyday activities I work on it daily, at least 30 minutes worth until it is completed. I guess it's about scheduling your time or paying someone else to do tasks you enjoy less. Woodworking is typically more intense during the winter months. Now I have yardwork/gardening to do that cannot be put off, but during rainy days it's woodworking time.
On Mar 27, 7:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You MUST be single. Get yourself a SWMBO and you will not have the motivation problem any more. You will be willing to do ANYTHING to get her to shut the ^#%$ up about that %#%#%$@ honey-do list that she keeps adding stuff to.
Bill Hewitt wrote:

I consider the 'honey-do' list to be advisory only ... and she knows that. That's enough to keep it short. HOWEVER ... I have not had the temerity to leave a project partially done for a moment longer than the minimum time circumstances absolutely required.
To quote Yoda: "Do. Or don't do. There is no 'try'".
Bill
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

Married. My wife said to me the other day, after I commented that I was having trouble getting going again: "Oh, I KNOW you'll finish it."
I think she was referring to an earlier project of rebuilding our 800 sq ft deck which had to be done before we had our wedding party (we semi-eloped and had a party for family and friends in our new house eight months later). I spent two weeks working on getting everything from the joists up replaced, working after work from 5 pm to 11pm. The prior owner of the house had installed floodlights over the deck so I couldn't use dark as an excuse.
Either that or she was suggesting she would MAKE SURE I got it done. She is planning a party this summer and I think that the gaping holes in our breakfast bar wouldn't be acceptable as decor.
Oh, and the gd honey-do list fills a lined 81/2 x 11 notebook page. She knows better than to push me - we both tend to push back harder when shoved.
D'ohBoy
Only one 8 1/2 X 11 page ? Lucky you ! Mine is a little over 3 pages right now, and it seems like every time I get it down to two she comes up with another page.
--
Charley

< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Mar 27, 8:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Hand the project over to the professionals. If your heart's not into it, then you're probably going to make a mess. There are things I'll do and there are things I'll pay someone to do. For example, I'll hang french doors*, but I'd rather pay someone to paint them...
Jeff
( * For the president's remaining supporters in this group, those are "Freedom doors" )
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
> So I am half way through building some custom cabinets under our > breakfast bar and stalled. <snip>
Some days the dragon wins.
A major project is a marathon, not a sprint.
For years I have operated on the premise that when you leave the shop, something is done that wasn't done when you got there.
Keep at least a couple of projects going at the same time. (Could be different parts of the same major project)
Keeps you a leg up on boredom.
Most important part, HAVE FUN.
Lew

We are in the same trap. I am training for the MS150 (Houston to Austin - actually 182 miles) and my shop time has gone way down. Recently its picked up considerably because I got sick and could not take the risk of pushing training, but somehow could get out to the shop to make a few cuts or drill some holes.
It sounds to me like your "project" choice is actually a construction job that you are doing to save some money. I have no desire to build cabinets after having built a few last year. One of the drawbacks is the amount of space and physical labor required. Maybe its the fact that you are doing a project that you "have" to do?
I still enjoy woodworking a lot. I just keep it in balance and do however much is exciting to me at the time. Cycling is weird. I cannot seem to get enough of it. Maybe because it makes me feel a lot younger and I continue to lose weight doing it. At least I don't think I'll ever have to listen to my father's advice: "Don't retire, its boring".
Bob

Funny, my situation is the opposite. I used to cycle daily to and from work (about 20 miles round trip) and run 4 -5 times a week as well. Last fall I fell off the roof of my house and was fortunate enough to only bruise my hip, which was bad enough. But it scared the living daylights out of me and it was difficut literally 'getting back on the bike'. Then a second harrowing experience where I was grazed by a pickup truck when I went out for the first time since falling off the roof. So I lost any motivation for cycling.
On the plus side, I have spent a lot of time in the shop, and have also taken up an interest in blacksmithing. Then there is homebrewing, working on the 1949 Ford 8N, and as someone else said, cutting grass, all since it has been so warm. But I need to get back to exercise at some point although I doubt I will ever commute again by bicycle. There is just not enough time to do everything I'd like to do.
Cheers! Dukester
On 27 Mar 2007 05:37:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I don't worry about excitement but then again, I build because I have fun doing it, not because it's anything I have to do. If I feel like working, I do. If I don't, I don't. Heck, it's been a while since I've been out in the shop, I have one project that's been sitting there half-finished since November or something. I'll probably try to get back to it one of these days.
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 01:38:16 GMT, Brian Henderson

Some things are easier than others - mostly because we *want* to complete them.
Good examples: 1. photo plaque for my wife for Valentine's Day (just happened to be the first finshed piece from my new router ;-)
2. 2'x4'x8' storage rack for the garage (I wanted back the floor space taken by the grandkids' riding toys - instead of each needing floor space, they all fit vertically in slightly more floorspace than the largest one needed before)
Not so good examples: 1. insulate the interior basement walls that a previous owner "finished" (paneling, no insulation) - the rolls of insulation have been waiting on me for a couple of months
2. the rescued pine paneling that will be shelving on the unfinished side of those walls is also waiting
Things I have less control over: I have a couple of refinishing projects that are waiting for the pollen count to drop to a non-gritty level (5937 in Atlanta today. the 3rd highest day in 12 years: http://remote.atlantaallergy.com/pollencount/ )
John
On Mar 27, 7:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Oh man! I know what you are talking about, only my problem is that I have gotten so involved with my woodworking projects that the titanium Douglas road bike I bought last year is being neglected.