OT: Is This RF Or Power?

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:46:24 -0500, Tom Watson wrote:

I had a monitor that exhitited similar symptoms for about two months, then it died. The new monitor works fine.
-Doug
Shunt capacitor on the power supply?
Me too.

do you by chance use an UPS ???? if not that may help if its power related. the UPS will keep power to the puter and the monitor somewhat constant if indeed power is the problem. skeez

*IF* and _only_ if you buy one of the high-priced "full-time" UPS systems. The typical 'hobbiest'/'small office' UPS is a "standby" system - the battery power kicks in only if the line power fails _completely_.
     snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes:

A good UPS with voltage regulation isn't that expensive. That said, one rarely if ever plugs peripherals like monitors or printers into them. Their main purpose is to save data (by not fscking up the file system on the HDD). Plugging a monitor and/or printer into the UPS will reduce the time it can power the computer while on the battery.
OBWW: I'm making a small shelf (out of wood) for a little DVD player in my daughter's room. I'm worried about stray electrical/magnetic fields harming the finish, and the Flexner book (Bible, O'Deen) says nothing about how shellac can protect against this. Would lining the shelf with lead be the best option?
--
Jeff Thunder
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
On 22 Jan 2004 13:44:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@math.niu.edu (Jeffrey Thunder) wrote:

the problem with this is that over time the lead will become radioactive, posing a threat to your daughter's health. Sure, it might take 10,000 years to reach a measureable level, but why take chances?

No. Lead is not a good conductor, neither for electrical current nor for magnetic flux. You *could* use magneticaly soft iron, but if you do not build a complete cage it does not do anything useful.

Why should the lead do so? From cosmics?