OT - Is this representative of US public opinion? UK Newspaper Front Page

Page 7 of 7
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 01:56:24 +0000, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Sheesh, that's increase in speed.
BTW, I have found references to a ROI for the Apollo program of 7 to 1 and 9 to 1 for the shuttle program. These are dollars generated in the economy as a result of tax dollars spent.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn wrote:

maybe your confusing coincidence with cause.
About the tax thing? Others have stated it better than I could.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've read that frequently the computers used in space vehicles are many generations behind the current consumer products. Same with air traffic control.
These products (including the software that is used to develop the software that runs on them and that software itself) need to be tested and certified fifty ways from Sunday and once completed, they are used for many years. If this is true, the space program isn't really driving the development of new computers. I'd say the kids playing Call to Duty and the other computer games are driving technology to advance faster that just about anything.
Dennis Vogel
: This was on the front page of my newspaper today as a "introduction" : to the Bush state of the nation speech. From an American point of view : how does it read? Is it a true representation of the Bush : administration and the US economy?
It's a better representation that the typical US media, which are skewed heavily toward conservatism, and the consequent uncritical coverage of the Bush administration. (Thos of you who believe in the myth of the american liberal media, jump in here now).
    -- Andy Barss
snipped-for-privacy@ptah.u.arizona.edu says...

With you Andy, it wouldn't do any good. When the media starts writing stories about Enron that include the words, "whose actions were implemented during the Clinton administration" you will have a point. However, the media continues, in every instance, whenever Haliburton is mentioned in a news story, "the company was formerly headed by Vice President Cheney despite the fact that Cheney gave up all ownership of Haliburton when he started running for VP.

Did they not say "formerly"??? Do you really think that he has no connection with this company anymore??? When Fox news channel has to tell me that they have "fair and balanced" reporting, it is obvious that those days are long gone. Just look at the ownership of so many of these stations and it is obvious that they have become quite conservative in nature. BTW, how many news stories appeared about Clinton and Whitewater and the Monica affair compared to Bush and the BS intelligence reports that sent us to war or even the Presidents shady military career.