OT - Is this representative of US public opinion? UK Newspaper Front Page

Page 6 of 7
With all due respect, this type of post has no place here. Let's keep politics out of rec.woodworking!!
Renny wrote:

While appreciate your distaste of politics, it certainly isn't OT. What could have more wooddorking content than getting the shaft? Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

LOLOLOLOLOL! You made my day!
--
gabriel

Noel Hegan wrote:

You can use statistics to prove anything. You can omit certain numbers, include an extreme number and leave out certain information.
For example, the comparison on how many American soldier deaths after the Iraq war vs after WWII: Well the author leaves out all the context, and leaves out the fact that the world is not the same. The article is aimed at fooling people unaware of the fallacies of using statistics this way.
For what it's worth, I think bush (yes, lowercase) is a blithering fool, manipulated by the extremists in his cabinet, and utterly incapable of leading the country towards betterment (i.e., our social security system is mathematically proven to be headed towards disaster, but bush just gave the rich an unnecessary tax cut instead of fixing the system).
Of course, there are people who think differently than I :-)...
--
gabriel

Here we go with the class warfare balony again. Just who are those damned rich? How much money do they need anyhow? Maybe we should set the national wage to $100,000.00 then tax/refund what ever is necessary to arrive at that figure. How long do you think that the rich will continue to invest in the economy? This is why communism is doomed to failure, and has, in fact, failed everywhere it has been tried.
It is amazing that Russia now has Steve Forbes' flat tax and we have the Soviet's progressive tax. At least Putin understands economy.

Al Reid wrote:

This is not the forum to prove it either way, at the end of the day it's just a conflict of opinions. So I won't get into that, strong an opinion as I might have...
I will recognize that you have a valid opinion on this as well. I will not, though, get into a war over it.

Hey, here's a point of agreement... A flat tax would do me fine.
--
gabriel

It's like the old saying -- "There are lies, damn lies ... and statistics". :-)
I don't think the article was an attempt to represent American opinion. I think it was pointing out information. As far as whether most Americans would be nooding or shaking their heads when they read the information is debatable.
As the national politicians are well aware, the country is very evenly split between Democrats and Republicans these days. The party that wins the presidency is the one that doesn't lose it's members to a 3rd party candidate. (Perot & Buchanon during Clinton years & Nadar during Bush).
Bush has to hype terrorism because that's his angle for keeping Republicans in line (and you can be sure that events will lead to it being center stage come the next election). How else can Bush keep conservatives voting for him when he shows no fiscal responsibility with his deficit spending, greatly increases the intrusion of the federal government through federal education programs and medicine entitlements, does nothing to protect blue collar jobs or discourage overseas outsourcing, and throws open American borders to illegal immigration in order to pander to the hispanic vote?

Maybe Osama's Evil Plan is to _not_ attack America during the election campaign ? It's the most damage he could do to Bush.
The absolute best thing for the Bush campaign is a car bomb against disposable American grunts (and preferably a cute blonde BAM or two) somewhere foreign, a day before the vote. It would give him a a landslide.
(cont. conspiracy_theories/maine ...)
Andy Dingley writes:

Maybe not. Like all conspiracy theories, this one has a huge hole: many Americans are getting downright unhappy about the number of deaths in this "easy" war. Add a dozen or so more the day before elections, and it's quite possible that Bush will retire early.
Now, I'll let you explain to the American public what "BAM" is. As a former Marine of a non-PC era, I know better than to stick my foot in that one.
Charlie Self "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine
3 days before at least. Gotta give him enough time to learn how to read the impromptu speech.
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
Andy Dingley wrote:

Osama would be smarter to attack the USA to keep bush in power. bush would then retaliate by attacking North Korea, or invading Uruguay.
--
gabriel

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:14:54 +0000, Andy Dingley

You say that as if you think it couldn't happen, Andy.

Do they have the 9/11 bombing as a bush re-election conspiracy, too?
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
No, no, no. Now that we've captured Sadass, we're much safer, doncha know
Renata
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:14:54 +0000, Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wrote:

We all appreciate your cheery thoughts. Ever think of getting into children's literature?
UA100
Noel Hegan wrote:
To be fair, the last statistic says it all.
To about half of this country Bush and those people are an embarrassment and would agree with the tenor of the article. The other half don't know any better and would agree with anything they're told.
says...

You were doing OK to this point

Then you fell right down into condescension and insult. Yep, anybody who disagrees with you is a moron and an idiot -- a gullible idiot at that.
Of course nobody who might disagree with the tenor of the article could have a valid, well-reasoned view of political events and current events, could they? No, they have to be led sheep, there is no other possibility.

Noel Hegan wrote:

Title says it all.
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:24:08 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

The microchip was a direct result of the space program, and is the basis for all our modern electronics - computers, cell phones, home entertainment, home appliances, automobiles, etc. It was developed because of the need for miniturization and reduced weight. There were many other inventions in technology and medicine as well. I suspect we would have eventually developed all the things that came out of this, but at a diminished rate - maybe years, maybe decades. And as we all know, time is money - every day without a new business/industry making profits to be taxed and employees in high paying jobs to be taxed is lost revenue.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn writes:

I'll buy the second part of your statement. I'm not at all sure the microchip was a direct result of the space race, though miniaturization was certainly an emphasis there. But the transistor, something of an early microchip, existed before we really entered the space race. I'd like to check up on that before I get into an argument I can't win, but don't have time right now. I do know that in '60, the minimal autopilots available for military helicopters were tube types early in the year, and switched to circuit boards and transistors later, at least as far as reaching the troops was concerned (I went through several weeks of training at MCAF Santa Ana because of that and a couple other changes).
Of course, it's always a good idea to remember that until recent years, the Marine Corps got the short end of the stick when it came to military supplies. I'm told that's changed recently, but, then, I'm also told mess duty is a thing of the past, with civilians doing the dirty work. Amazing if true.
Charlie Self "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 01:32:02 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

You are correct on the transistor - it was developed in the late forties or early fifties, but it's a huge jump from a transistor to a microchip with thousands or millions of transistors and the accompanying several orders of magnitude reduction in speed, size and weight.
-Doug