OT: Is it legal to kill bees in your home?

Honest to God, this is a question that was asked in the San Jose Mercury newspaper's "Action Line" column this morning. Someone wrote in that their home's chimney was infested with a large number of bees and they wanted to know if a fire would eradicate them and if it was legal to kill the bees! Did IQ's suddenly drop in San Jose while I was out bike riding yesterday?

DUH!

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

They've been dropping like flies. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Bear in mind the ecosteria that infests the country today and that government has no sense.

Now, the big question is whether the "action line" told them to make sure that the hive wasn't blocking the chimney to such an extent that the fireplace wouldn't draw before they lit up.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Therein lies a basic difference between CA (the original home of "DUH", right?) and the rest of the country ... around here anyone dense enough to have to ask couldn't afford to own a home in San Jose.

;>)

Reply to
Swingman

no, but they told them they needed a permit to kill a bee.

(Just kidding!!)

dave

J. Clarke wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

LOL - Been there - done that! Not only did house fill up with smoke, but the bees just flew around waiting for the fire to go out and came right back in. Finally bit the bullet and had a pro come and get the queen - all the rest followed.

Second time it happened, the bees got into the WALLS of the house through an opening left by a plumber. This time the pro just gassed them and sealed the hole - didn't bother to try to remove them.

Some fun!

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

A few years ago I was in my unfinished basement just getting some tools out of my shop for some outside work when I heard a buzzing. It wasn't the kind of 'mosquito buzzing about your ear' buzzing, but the 'low, tickles at your spine, raises goosebumps on your arms, buzzing'. After recovering from tripping up a flight of stairs, I found out that a group of industrous bees had dug under the foundation of the house and found a comfortable place between the joists in the basement ceiling. It just so happened that they were directly over my workbench. Despite their interest in woodworking, I decided that they'd be a distraction and had a professional come deal with them. I was a bit chagrined to see him deal with the hive in a simple hooded sweatshirt and mask, but it helped that he shared with me a story about the last person who tried to deal with a hive in their house themselves. Let's just say bees all over the house isn't a good thing. In our case, the few bees that went exploring made themselves some friends in the numerous spider webs around our basement windows. Never has nature been so entertaining. Mark

Reply to
Werlax

Hopefully soon for you two and your fellow interloper Mike Marlow.

Smile while I spank you, Lynndie

Reply to
Would you like another?

Wow, I think I recently saw Donald Duck living like this in a cartoon. How is it possible that people can be so crazy. Wait. I don't want to know.

Reply to
Werlax

Especially this many:

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Free honey!

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Contact your county extension agent and you'll probably find a beekeeper that will come get them.

Reply to
My Old Tools

Sounds like Austin, Tx., our state's version of San Fransisco. There was an uproar when a man clubbed a couple of rats to death when they escaped his trap and headed toward his children. People advocated punishment for the murder of the rats, just short of execution. However, I did like the reader's suggestion that the rats should have been trapped and relocated. Yeah?, to who's house?

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Preston, we had an incident a couple of weeks ago in Palo Alto, whereby a mountain lion was shot and killed while perched in a tree in a heavily populated neighborhood. There was a vocal outcry against the police for killing that dangerous animal! I was appalled at the bleed heart tree huggers who wouldn't consider that a child could have been easy prey for that big cat. They condemned the police for doing what needed to be done and so public funds were wasted on a review of the incident. The BHL (bleed heart liberals) claimed that the cat could have been shot with a tranquilizer dart. The problem they failed to recognize with that solution is the dart would have pissed off the cat which would have remained conscious for about 20 minutes, allowing it to further roam the town.

Don't get me wrong; I love animals, but at some point one needs to use some common sense in dealing with a potentially deadly animal encounter.

dave

Prest> Sounds like Austin, Tx., our state's version of San Fransisco. There was an

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

As a San Jose resident, just last week I had a problem with a swarm of bees suddenly relocating to a tree in my front yard. I checked the Yellow Pages, found a beekeeper's phone number, and gave him a call. He was happy to come by and "adopt" the swarm for his business, at no cost to me. He came after dark, when the little buggers had tucked in for the night, and that was that. Unlike rats, bees are actually useful. No need to pull a Cheney and think that destruction is the only solution!

- dm

Reply to
David Minehart

That's nothing. Do a search in google groups for

+rosemary +waigh +cockroach

in talk.politics.animals. She was desperately trying to live trap cockroaches in her apartment before the evil exterminators that the landlord hired came and murdered them.

Reply to
Ed Clarke