OT: Is it legal to kill bees in your home?

Honest to God, this is a question that was asked in the San Jose Mercury newspaper's "Action Line" column this morning. Someone wrote in that their home's chimney was infested with a large number of bees and they wanted to know if a fire would eradicate them and if it was legal to kill the bees! Did IQ's suddenly drop in San Jose while I was out bike riding yesterday?
DUH!
dave

They've been dropping like flies. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comEDY (Tom) wrote in message

Hopefully soon for you two and your fellow interloper Mike Marlow.
Smile while I spank you, Lynndie
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Bear in mind the ecosteria that infests the country today and that government has no sense.
Now, the big question is whether the "action line" told them to make sure that the hive wasn't blocking the chimney to such an extent that the fireplace wouldn't draw before they lit up.

--
--John
no, but they told them they needed a permit to kill a bee.
J. Clarke wrote:

LOL - Been there - done that! Not only did house fill up with smoke, but the bees just flew around waiting for the fire to go out and came right back in. Finally bit the bullet and had a pro come and get the queen - all the rest followed.
Second time it happened, the bees got into the WALLS of the house through an opening left by a plumber. This time the pro just gassed them and sealed the hole - didn't bother to try to remove them.
Some fun!
Vic

A few years ago I was in my unfinished basement just getting some tools out of my shop for some outside work when I heard a buzzing. It wasn't the kind of 'mosquito buzzing about your ear' buzzing, but the 'low, tickles at your spine, raises goosebumps on your arms, buzzing'. After recovering from tripping up a flight of stairs, I found out that a group of industrous bees had dug under the foundation of the house and found a comfortable place between the joists in the basement ceiling. It just so happened that they were directly over my workbench. Despite their interest in woodworking, I decided that they'd be a distraction and had a professional come deal with them. I was a bit chagrined to see him deal with the hive in a simple hooded sweatshirt and mask, but it helped that he shared with me a story about the last person who tried to deal with a hive in their house themselves. Let's just say bees all over the house isn't a good thing. In our case, the few bees that went exploring made themselves some friends in the numerous spider webs around our basement windows. Never has nature been so entertaining. Mark

Especially this many:
<http://www.wftv.com/news/3398498/detail.html
Dave Balderstone wrote:

is it possible that people can be so crazy. Wait. I don't want to know.

Free honey!
;-)
Contact your county extension agent and you'll probably find a beekeeper that will come get them.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

Therein lies a basic difference between CA (the original home of "DUH", right?) and the rest of the country ... around here anyone dense enough to have to ask couldn't afford to own a home in San Jose.
;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

Preston, we had an incident a couple of weeks ago in Palo Alto, whereby a mountain lion was shot and killed while perched in a tree in a heavily populated neighborhood. There was a vocal outcry against the police for killing that dangerous animal! I was appalled at the bleed heart tree huggers who wouldn't consider that a child could have been easy prey for that big cat. They condemned the police for doing what needed to be done and so public funds were wasted on a review of the incident. The BHL (bleed heart liberals) claimed that the cat could have been shot with a tranquilizer dart. The problem they failed to recognize with that solution is the dart would have pissed off the cat which would have remained conscious for about 20 minutes, allowing it to further roam the town.
Don't get me wrong; I love animals, but at some point one needs to use some common sense in dealing with a potentially deadly animal encounter.
dave
Preston Andreas wrote:

As a San Jose resident, just last week I had a problem with a swarm of bees suddenly relocating to a tree in my front yard. I checked the Yellow Pages, found a beekeeper's phone number, and gave him a call. He was happy to come by and "adopt" the swarm for his business, at no cost to me. He came after dark, when the little buggers had tucked in for the night, and that was that. Unlike rats, bees are actually useful. No need to pull a Cheney and think that destruction is the only solution!
- dm

That's nothing. Do a search in google groups for
    +rosemary +waigh +cockroach
in talk.politics.animals. She was desperately trying to live trap cockroaches in her apartment before the evil exterminators that the landlord hired came and murdered them.