OT... Is it just me? Sand bags in the winter.

Page 3 of 3

I tried this one year instead of water bags on the rim (18") of an above ground pool. Worked great, sand stayed in bags, not too heavy for me to lift, but turned out to be great pain in the neck for me to store. (To make them I moved the portable sewing machine to a table out by the pool and filled the leg bags so enough room to spare to sew the top on the machine. Seemed about right, bags not overstuffed so they still were a bit bendable or conformable.) Ended up (year or two years later) switching over to these inexpensive plastic clamps from hardware store, been using them several years and squirt them with WD40, store in plastic woven bag, and they are ready to go in the fall. Much lighter than sandbags.
Josie
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:40:52 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

I did not line the bags, but I did make sure there were no holes. I stitched the legs closed using heavy-duty thread, a large needle, and thimble. I used play sand. Easy to do.

You can partially fill old jean legs with ice melt as well and toss on the roof in winter to unplug frozen downspouts or prevent ice dams.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

Cars? No. Front wheel drive with all season tires.
Truck? Not sand. Four wheel drive and a couple of elevator weights bolted to the bed over the rear axle.
And yes, we've been know to get a little bit of snow in these parts (see signature).
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

You know what the motto of the Otis Elevator Company is, don't you?
Good - to the last drop.
Still driving a 2WD Ranger where there's better'n twice your average snowfall.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

I just add more fuel to the transport tanks if they're not already full...

sometimes weight is not enough. Our problem is ice, because of our high number of sunny days in the winter once snow is driven on once it becomes a sheet of ice that does not go away. Even footprints in snow become instant ice here. You can't step in the same spot twice unless you want to end up on your ass. You can pull into a parking lot here on warm tires and find all four spinning in holes when you are done shopping. One giant ice rink here for 4-5 months.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

Few cowpies takes care of that...

CLIP
When you're Sicilian like me and live near NYC you don't think about putting extra weight in the trunk... If ya know what I mean... <grin>
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

You mean like the NJ troopers I used to see darn near dismantling a suspected drug running car on I80?
--
Nahmie

I was thinking more along the lines of organic material... Living or not. ...A joke of course.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.