OT... Is it just me? Sand bags in the winter.

Page 1 of 3

How many here use sand bags for weight in their car or truck in the winter? For fifteen years I have been using bags of small stucco chips instead. They are cheaper than the dirty sandbags sold around here. 50 pound bag of stucco chips is $3.50 They don't mess up your vehicle even if they spill. Nice clean white rocks easy to clean up. They don't freeze into a solid lump. They don't get your hands all filthy if you need to throw some under the tires for traction. And they REALLY provide traction, way better than the dirty frozen sand.
Best of all in spring you can use them for landscaping in your yard.
So why after fifteen years of harping on this am I the only one using them.<g>
them.<g>
Because all we care about in here is wood related things, not sandbags.

I keep some 4' sections of hard maple in the back of my pickup.
If I were carrying a bag of anything, it'd be chicken grit. Sharp, and instant traction....

Oops, not much difference but this was meant to go to alt.home.repair.<g>

them.<g>
Because the rest of us live down in Florida where hurricanes are more of a concern than snow.

I see. So you have need for more than a couple of sandbags.
I'll take the snow, thank you anyway.
wrote in message

There are a few of us who live in sunny California where the weather in most places consists of two seasons. Warmer sunny weather and Cooler sunny weather. Occasionally we do have that strange liquid stuff falling from the skies which so confuses some people that they forget how to drive all together. :)
~Jen
"Jennifer Juniper" said:

Sorry Jen we have four seasons in SoCal. Spring Summer Fire Flood
Dave

Throw a few dozen bags up there to hold on the roof. After the storm cut holes in the bags and you have instant landscaping all around the house.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

(snip)
Never heard of stucco chips. Is it made from flaking stucco or more like cow chips?
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

No, I have limited slip rear axle.
If that's not enough, I can activate 4WD and my electrically locking rear differential. <G>

Limited slip and a locker? Fanatic....;-)

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet... Rubicon?
I've got a 2000 Cherokee w/ limited slip Chrysler 8.25. Took a chance on some ProComp All Terrains. So far, nothing Colorado has thrown my way has slowed me down.
I'm now lobbying the Guv'nur for the HOV lanes to become "Jeep Only" during blizzards... :)
Patrick Conroy wrote:

2005 Toyota Tacoma - TRD Off-road. <G>
My Wrangler has LS, but no locker.
Barry
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:54:39 GMT, B a r r y

I has a 2WD Mazda 2200. My neighbors all have big $by$s. I'm the only one not whining about the price of gas.<g>
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

Good for you! Please allow me to pat you on the back for owning the vehicle that's right for you.
In 8 months I have 2800 miles on this truck. Do I care if gas hits $5 a gallon? <G>
FWIW, My "big" Taco gets about ~20 MPG, which is not bad considering it'll tow _TWO_ 2WD Mazda 2200's (6500 pounds). My old 22R powered 2wd Toyota pickup only got about 25, with no Access Cab, no 4WD, and 30% of the towing capacity.
I prefer my bicycle for errands whenever I can.
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:40:04 GMT, B a r r y

I only did 1500 miles total last year.<BerG> I walk to work 1/2 mile.

snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

My chauffeur never asked for my authorization to buy them.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I just put an 8' piece of steel on the front of my truck in the snow, says "Western" on it. What I haven't figured out is if I am required to where my cowboy hat when driving with it on. Don't seem to have any trouble with snow what so ever though....
knothead
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

Not me. I use 5 gallon buckets. Fill 'em with water and they're about 40lb each.
-j