OT - iPad in the news today ...

Page 3 of 5

Hmm. I can spend several hundreds of dollars to buy a device that allows me to read an electronic text file I essentially RENT for a $10 fee and can have removed from said device at any time with no recourse, or I can buy a BOOK for $10, read it, loan it to friends, and ultimately resell it for a couple of bucks or donate it to a charitable organization's book sale.
Hmm. I think I know where I'm going to end up going with this...
The Kindle and Nook have no attraction for me whatsoever, and my reaction to the iPad is "meh." It doesn't seem to be more than a giant iPod, and I've already got a couple of those, and I can put them in my shirt pocket.
On 1/30/2010 11:58 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I'm not impressed with the Kindle in the least. The Nook, because it is more format options, would get the edge at the moment, but that notwithstanding, neither of these johnny-come-lately's "get it", IMO.
In 1998 I purchased four, for our company's two tech personnel, as well as myself and partner, of Nuvo Media's "Rocket eBook" to store and read html tech documents, including all Internet RFC's, and DNS/BIND documents ... it worked out very well for the next seven years and we were still using them when we shut company down in 2005.
(I also used mine onstage a time or two for chord charts ...worked out great on a dimly lit stage ... and to this day I read on it nightly, in bed, getting all my content for the last ten years from Project Gutenberg)
Ideally, these thing should be like razors ... the device itself should be free, and you buy the content.
They should all be non-proprietary as to format, allowing pdf, html, and, _above all_, *user created* content to be used.
This will happen ... the problem now is freeing the archaic thought process/business model of the "publishers" of the world.
That's why I think Apple's iTunes model, which showed music publishers that another way of doing business was not going to put them out of business, may play a pivotal role in the acceptance of these devices.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Steve wrote:

While that may be true, the fact that a significant portion of web content is distributed via flash (i.e, YouTube, Viddler, various news videos), not supporting flash is somewhat debilitating to those using this device for web browsing.

... and how Oracle will control both the opensource database and Java are going to be quite interesting. Larry Ellison is not known for open-ness

Rob Leatham

This is a good thing. Flash should die and be replaced by HTML 5.

Not completely true. On the iPhone, built in apps do multi-task, just not third party ones.

It doesn't seem targeted at that. It is described as a new class of device, not a smart phone and not a laptop.
Now it may be that this new class doesn't meet your needs. I'm not convinced that I want one myself. But recognize that Apple is pitching this as something different.
Robert Haar wrote:

When the browsers that most people use support it then perhaps it will come into widespread use.

Didn't those morons learn anything from the pre-OSX Mac?

But what? If they can't tell you what it does for you in a single sentence then they're fighting an uphill battle. So far the only simple summary I can think of is "ipad--it looks cool".

That's all it takes to make it desirable. Jobs will sell millions. It's all about style. But, I think it missed one very important feature. Can't stick in a DVD and watch a movie.

What's a DVD?
--
Best regards
Han

It's a small round disc containing a passifier for many adults. It also works for kids too, but only for a short time. Usage is simple: Put it in a device called a DVD player and they will sit and watch for hours at a time.
Puckdropper
*snip*

Sorta like something a person can carry around with them and keep track of their appointments, contacts, and business notes? Look Apple's invented the PDA!
Sure would be interested if it was Newton reincarnated. Sounds like it's got a lot of the features I'd include if I could redesign it.
Puckdropper
Robert Haar wrote:

That's a fine sentiment. But if someone who happens to own an iPad *now* (or when it really ships) and wants to view a web page *now* with content that is important to them *now* that just happens to include a flash vid or other flash content, that's more than a bit of a problem, isn't it?

Again, this is all well and good if everything one is wanting to do happens to be built-in.

Then they need to start making a case for how this new wonderful thing that doesn't do what people expect is really better because of the different things it does do. Hopefully for Apple, those different things people can do are things that people want to do.

Rob Leatham

And if it isn't, don't buy it. It's not like Apple is FORCING you to buy their products.
Find an alternative tablet that does what you want.
Oops... There aren't any?
Given the chatter over the past few years about how Apple needs to make a tablet, I wonder why nobody else has stepped into the gap and started making and marketing them? It's not like the Interweb hasn't been full of pundits and bloggers screaming about the need for such a product...
Maybe they were waiting for a company that actually knows how to innovate to create a market they can try to grab a small piece of?
;-)

IMO, this guy pretty well hits the nail on the head:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/31/entelligence-lessons-from-the-ipad-launch /
As I said in another post, building on what went before is one of Apple's strong suits, but much better explained above.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I rarely agree with Gartenberg, and he's one of the reasons I stopped reading Engadget some time ago, but this column isn't TOO bad. The comments, however, are a laugh riot to read!

You don't have to wait for your iPad to see video without the noxious stench of Flash. HTML5 specs implementation by browser:
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Implementations_in_Web_browsers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_(HTML5)
Steve wrote:

That's nice. So what if the video you need to look at is not in HTML5?

It's more than a sentiment. As long as we accept bad design, there is no incentive for companies to build good web sites. It's similar to web sites that require the use of MSIE. I take my business elsewhere and let them know why they lost a customer. There are very few web site that I have to use, and for most of those, I have some ability to influence the design.
It's like the saying the the only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.
One of the coolest websites on the web today:
http://www1.mcdonalds.com/mccafe /
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Doesn't come across all that cool on my Blackberry and is a shitload of overhead on my old laptop. Works just fine on my desktops and is kinda cool. I wonder what percentage of potential customers are still on dial-up.
On 2/2/2010 7:17 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Go ahead, point me to ANYTHING this is cool on your crackberry's browser! ;)
The point being that every top web designer I know (folks who design for Dell, Continental, Hulu, etc) is green with envy that they didn't get the opportunity to do this particular site.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

the bandwidth/speed to enjoy that website. It is always the little guy who gets the bad seats in the arena. . . . . . :-) (in case you were wondering if I was being serious or not)