OT - iPad in the news today ...

Han wrote in news:Xns9D119002E91F8ikkezelf@

207.246.207.190:

It's a small round disc containing a passifier for many adults. It also works for kids too, but only for a short time. Usage is simple: Put it in a device called a DVD player and they will sit and watch for hours at a time.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

That's a fine sentiment. But if someone who happens to own an iPad *now* (or when it really ships) and wants to view a web page *now* with content that is important to them *now* that just happens to include a flash vid or other flash content, that's more than a bit of a problem, isn't it?

Again, this is all well and good if everything one is wanting to do happens to be built-in.

Then they need to start making a case for how this new wonderful thing that doesn't do what people expect is really better because of the different things it does do. Hopefully for Apple, those different things people can do are things that people want to do.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

And if it isn't, don't buy it. It's not like Apple is FORCING you to buy their products.

Find an alternative tablet that does what you want.

Oops... There aren't any?

Given the chatter over the past few years about how Apple needs to make a tablet, I wonder why nobody else has stepped into the gap and started making and marketing them? It's not like the Interweb hasn't been full of pundits and bloggers screaming about the need for such a product...

Maybe they were waiting for a company that actually knows how to innovate to create a market they can try to grab a small piece of?

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

IMO, this guy pretty well hits the nail on the head:

I said in another post, building on what went before is one of Apple's strong suits, but much better explained above.

Reply to
Swingman

I rarely agree with Gartenberg, and he's one of the reasons I stopped reading Engadget some time ago, but this column isn't TOO bad. The comments, however, are a laugh riot to read!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

You don't have to wait for your iPad to see video without the noxious stench of Flash. HTML5 specs implementation by browser:

Steve

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's more than a sentiment. As long as we accept bad design, there is no incentive for companies to build good web sites. It's similar to web sites that require the use of MSIE. I take my business elsewhere and let them know why they lost a customer. There are very few web site that I have to use, and for most of those, I have some ability to influence the design.

It's like the saying the the only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Reply to
Robert Haar

One of the coolest websites on the web today:

Swingman

Doesn't come across all that cool on my Blackberry and is a shitload of overhead on my old laptop. Works just fine on my desktops and is kinda cool. I wonder what percentage of potential customers are still on dial-up.

Reply to
Robatoy

Go ahead, point me to ANYTHING this is cool on your crackberry's browser! ;)

The point being that every top web designer I know (folks who design for Dell, Continental, Hulu, etc) is green with envy that they didn't get the opportunity to do this particular site.

Reply to
Swingman

That site has complete disregard for the little guy who doesn't have the bandwidth/speed to enjoy that website. It is always the little guy who gets the bad seats in the arena. . . . . . :-) (in case you were wondering if I was being serious or not)

Reply to
Robatoy

;)

Besides, today's top web designers are all twenty somethings ... they have NO concept of "regard(e?)" ... and couldn't spell it if they did. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Doesn't run on my PC either. For a blue-chip company and the biggest world restaurant chain, this is a poor excuse, poor design (they should have hired me).

Reply to
Phisherman

Sorry, you missed the pointe(e), dud(e). You simply aren't cool anymor(e) ... the world has passed you by(e). You gotta b(e) into DMB and Lady Gaga to appreciat(e) subtl(e) genius, and, as always, the bigger the better ... particularly with regarde to your pip(e).

Go have a Moon Pi(e) and a R'er Se(e) and lick your wounded feelings ...

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

There is a song in there someplace.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Whoa! Lady Gaga and DMB in the same sentence?

Reply to
Robatoy

Read this....

Robatoy