OT - iPad in the news today ...

Page 2 of 5
On 2/7/2010 11:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Damn ... built-in teleprompter to boot.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

...complete with a "corPsman" or three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkzwr85rTSY

Robatoy wrote:

That's the best you've got? 3 bullet points written on her palm from which she was able to construct an entire coherent speech? As opposed to a full teleprompter setup from which we get "CorpseMan" and other nonsense?
Pretty weak tea there

Rob Leatham

LOL...hardly.

If she's dumb for making a few crib notes, what do you call someone who knows nothing without a teleprompter and very little with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlKIfzoC8D0

PDF is amazingly useful for moving print documents around. It's a huge component of our publishing workflow. But for the web? Not so much. More of a PITA.

Uh, PDF is NOT Flash.
Yes, PDF is firmly entrenched. It's revolutionized the industry I'm in. Where we once loaded files on disc and sent them to a prep house to be output to film to be MAILED to printers and publications or the like while shlepping printouts to our clients for approvals, we now just send PDFs to both.
Which really sucks for the prep houses... who've largely disappeared.
Flash still bites the big one. (Go, HTML5!)

I recently had to order some items by phone because the website kept freezing. Infact I could only research the items on an old site that ran glacially slow. When discussing this problem with the lady on the phone she said tha the problem had started six weeks ago and their "webguy" couldn't figure out the problem. They were worried because of all the complaints and decreased sales.
I asked her if they had any design work done on their website recently. And, of course, the "image overhaul" got done just before the problems started. And these geniuses did not make the connection. Duhhhh......
I mentioned that I got some error messages concerning Flash. I told her a couple Flash horror stories. She had never heard of Flash before. I also told her that many designers were in love with Flash and were pissing people off all over the place. And not to expect them to be honest about it. She was frantically writing notes and was going to take it to her boss. The boss was getting upset that the web people were not solving the problem.
A classic example of an artsy fartsy designer screwing it up for everybody. Hopefully they will take this"web designer" out and shoot him. The world will be a better place for all of us.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Far as I'm concerned Adobe is the antichrist for foisting Flash and the PDF and Postscript off on an unsuspecting world, but that ship has sailed, they've won, and any viable system has to be able to cope with them in the modern world. Maybe Osama will fly a plane into them or something but until that happens we're stuck with their crap.

I have to disagree with you on PostScript. It revolutionized the publishing industry where I've worked for more than 30 years.
PDF has its place, but the web isn't it.
On 2010-01-30 19:26:49 -0500, Dave Balderstone
Not for display online, perhaps, but it's remarkably efficient for transporting gobs of data, even it that data began as TIFFs. I was able to download a 400+ -page book yesterday, OCR it, and have a searchable file in about a half-hour. How long would it have taken to page through a paper document? How long would it have taken to page through the PDF? A lot longer than the searchable PDF, though the paper document would have have been quicker than non-searchable PDF.
But enough of this -- let's go make sawdust!
Steve wrote:

Broadband has made PDFs much more useful, but a lot of us have not-fond memories of having do download some immense file over a 300 baud connection, in its entirety, before we could begin looking for the one lousy line of information we needed.
And OCR? That was worthless until desktops hit Cray speed.
I recall accepting a contract to do OCR work about 17 -18 years ago.
It turned out it was more profitable for SWMBO to just key the stuff, because she could type 120 wpm with 98% accuracy.
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 23:13:06 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

I started with a screaming fast modem, 1,200 baud. I remember marveling at the zoomy 1-character-per-second speed, yelonblk text showing on the huge 14" monitor! Thank Crom that's no longer the norm. Can you imagine having to download these huge spams at that speed, paying for phone time the whole way? There'd have been lynchings. (IMHO, there still should be.)

AFAIC, it still is. Searching for stray characters it misses takes longer than retyping the page.
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

I've been amazed at what Acrobat can pull out of a scanned file saved as a PDF, actually. Well above 99% accuracy most times.
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:29:11 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

...and then charge an arm and _both_ legs for use of their tools to work with 'em...

They're the Micro$oft of graphics, though their products do work after a monstrous vertical cliff of learning. I hate to go from Photoshop to GIMP, but I may in the next computer. I doubt Adobe will allow me to move the CS over to Win7, even if M$ does.
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:04:29 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Small Flash animations are fine. Flash sites suck the big one.
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw
*snip*

*snip*
Have you had a chance to read a book on a Kindle? It's not worth buying yet, but the reading experience is quite good. (I want the DX model that can display PDFs. Electronic manuals on a portable device would help quite a bit when the computer's far away.)
Slightly OT: PDF is usually disappointing, it can be done well but rarely is. Most companies scan and release documents as PDF. (That's why I call it Printing Document Format)
Puckdropper

I watched with interest the Kindle however IMHO when compared to the Nook if comes in second. The Nook also allows PDF but also allows you to upgrade memory with off the shelf products and you can also replace the battery yourself when the time comes. I see little desire for the current Sony. The I-Pad seems to be more bang for your buck in so much that it appears to be a better back lit color reader plus internet access and e-mail access along with all the apps that can be added. Still a netbook computer can do all of that too, for a lot less.