OT - iPad in the news today ...

Page 1 of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

That's some pretty funny shit right there.
On 1/27/2010 7:13 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Nailed it! ... of all the folks here I figured you would "get it" first! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

There's one going around which is also funny: "Sure the iPad is lightweight and slim, but can you swim with it?"

But does it prevent "estrogen puddles" ? :~)
On 1/27/2010 5:41 PM, Swingman wrote:

Funny - and there is this, which isn't...
http://www.defectivebydesign.org/ipad
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Kind of like the Kindle, eh?
Some other things not so cool: 1) No flash support 2) Only allows you to run a single application at a time
More like an iPhone on steroids than a real computer.
From the name to the features, this doesn't seem like one of Apple's best thought-out ideas. Come on, *nobody* in marketing thought through the implications of naming this the "iPad"?

Rob Leatham

Flash is the largest cause of freezes in web browsing. Now, If we're also going to kick about Apple's DRM controlling/limiting access to the known world, it's worth noting that Flash is proprietary to Adobe.
Plus, Flash just generally sucks, even when used in other Abobe products. http://adobegripes.tumblr.com /
As of yet, iPod on steroids is a fair summation of the first (and as yet not on the market) generation iPad. It's not intended as a computer; it's an information appliance that fits between two market segments -- the smart phone and the laptop. And Apple has lined up 5 major publishers, and has brought a ray of hope to magazine and newspaper publishers.
http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/various_ipad_thoughts http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001592.html#001592
In spite of all that, I doubt I'll be buying an iPad. I know I won't be buying a Kindle. I prefer my books on real real paper, not on aetheric vapours.
But let's see how it shakes out.
BTW, Sun Microsystems (remember them?) is history.
said:

IT'S TWO, ***TWO*** APPLIANCES IN ONE!!
And, if you order before midnight we'll send you absolutely free this $19.95 HF knockoff of a SawStop!! Yes, That's Right!! Just pay the low S&H of $2495.00.
On 1/30/2010 2:22 AM, Steve wrote:

According to Dvorak, et al, in "Cranky Geeks" this week, Adobe is dying to get flash onto the iPad, but the megalomaniac Jobs will have none of it.
http://www.crankygeeks.com/2010/01/episode_203_apple_ipad_tablet.php
I personally think the iPad, or more to the point, its future iterations, may have a better shot at overall acceptance as an e-book reader, among its many other capabilities, than the Kindle or Nook in the long run.
I've been into e-book reader technology since the early 90's and am continually amazed at the re-inventing of the wheel of the likes of Amazon, B&N, and Sony, and their failure to take the past "lessons learned" of Nuvo Media, Franklin and GemStar into account in their current business models.
In my opinion, the iTunes store, with its content delivery, will make the difference with the iPad, despite the DRM concerns.
I have two albums myself for sale on iTunes, and a number in which I was involved in the production, and have been more than happy with their returns with Apple's "DRM free" performance on Itunes.
It should also lend itself to future use in schools, with textbook content a likely possibility, and with a much better chance of adherence to the ADA than the current crop of devices.
I also like the fact that the iPad is NOT e-ink technology. The LED screen means I can view it at night, in bed, without a separate night light, and that it will turn itself off after a period of non use. It is also more eco friendly ... IME, it's the little 'convenience of use' issues like that can make the difference between success and failure with this type of technology.
Basically, it appears to me that the iPad could well be the first step on the path to making this type of techology, and it benefits, ubiquitous.
Jobs, unlike other players in the game, seems to always build upon past successes ... it is this "standing on the shoulders of the giants who came before" that seperate his particular vision from the pack, like him or not.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Dvorak aside, Flash is an abomination. H.264 and/or HTML 5 will hopefully push it into the pit it deserves to live in.
On 1/30/2010 10:04 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

Yabbut, it's the dumb ass kiddie web designers using the wrong tool for the job and trying to build the entire farking website with flash that give it much of its bad name, although I agree that it, and Silverlight, are pretty much toast for the far future.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I dont think the pdf format is going away, it is the standard document format. I have serious doubts the iPad will make it, Apple set the price too high (again).
On 1/30/2010 1:41 PM, Phisherman wrote:

The price will fall. Today the iPhone can be had for $99, down from $599 when originally released.
You're right about pdf format. I love pdf for its 'portability' in my business.
A couple of years ago all of our invoices were sent and received via FAX.
I'd say that 98%+ are now done via e-mail in pdf format.
And with a free app like BullZip:
http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
... it is even easier to "pdf" documents, maps, plans, invoices, proposals, etc.
Sure makes "doing business" easier, quicker, and a damn sight more efficient.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

All my Mac's will allow you to 'print' to .pdf. Handy as a bag of chips/pocket on a shirt. PDF in vector mode are far more reliable than any of the 100 .eps formats. It has made my workflow from Vectorworks to my CNC seamless.
On 1/30/2010 5:59 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Another workflow expediter is my wireless Brother printer that will "copy" to pdf format and send it via wireless to any computer on the network ... handy for those faxes that come in and need to be e-mailed to someone else.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Indeedie. PDF's have simplified my life reliably, effectively and these days justabout anybody can open them. Well done Adobe. I cannot say that I am too impressed with Adobe in other areas, but that is for another thread. hint: I own all current licenses for Illustrator and Photoshop...but for my macs. Now that my CNC has pushed me into running PC gear, do you think those Adobe people would simply issue me a couple of licenses so that I can run my paid-for software on the platform of my choice?

Anything can be had for a price... Adobe will tell you what that price is but it's likely to be full boat when it's cross-platform, unless you surrender your Mac licenses.
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:13:00 -0600, the infamous Swingman

Seen the new Apple iBama yet? http://www.charlotteobserver.com/kevinsiers/story/1211012.html
-- We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us. -- Marcel Proust
scrawled the following:

Does it have the speeches to kindergarteners?