OT: Internet call for Swingman

Glad you enjoyed it ... Shrimp or crawfish?

It has been a family favorite for many years and as far as I know, it was my mother and aunt who originated it ...although it has now spread far and wide, with variations.

With five kids and six kids respectively, Mom and her sister were always looking for efficient ways to do things and in the 50's had published a Cajun cookbook of recipes, one of which used "Campbell's Cream of Mushroom" soup as the crawfish etoufee base, in lieu of a roux. As a collector of Cajun cookbooks, that was the first time I ever saw it in print (and, of course, now it is all over the Internet).

Shortly thereafter they started using Rotelle tomatoes and, after it came on the market, it was just a short hop to using Hot Pace Piquante sauce in place of cutting vegetables and seasoning.

My Aunt was the first that I am aware of to do "microwave roux" ... both continue to cook in their 80's and were well known in S. Louisiana for their recipes, many of which have been published in cookbooks on regional cooking.

As a kid I learned to cook by watching both of them, something my three sisters would not do, and who are therefore STILL terrible cooks. AAMOF, I am the one who, for the past ten years, cooks both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner for the entire family.

Did you see the recipe I posted for "Dirty Rice Dressing"? It is another good family recipe and a good one for this time of year. AAMOF, I made enough at Thanksgiving to freeze and thaw for Christmas day ... just add the rice.

Try it ...

Reply to
Swingman

I missed that one... I'll go look back and try to find it.

We used shrimp cause we can not get decent crawfish in our area. I also thought about throwing in a 1/2 lb of shredded up crab meat to make it a little more tasty. I got to fool around with this a little more.

My wife was very impressed.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Authentic Cajun Dirty Rice Dressing

1 lb hot pork sausage (Owens or jimmy dean's will work) 1 lb chopped chicken/turkey gizzards and hearts 1 lb coarse ground beef (chili ground) 1 lb chopped calf liver or chicken livers 2 large onions - chopped 2 bunches green onion tops - chopped 2 large bell peppers - chopped 1 medium bunch of celery - chopped 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped

8 - 12 cups of REAL cooked rice - (texmati is good, NO Uncle Ben's!) OR - cook four cups of raw rice in a rice cooker.

If you have one, cook the gizzards and hearts in a pressure cooker first, then chop.

Brown all meat together in a cast iron pot/Dutch oven. Season with PLENTY of black pepper, add chopped vegetables and 'cook, cover and stir' in various combinations until onions/celery are clear, salt to taste, add some more black pepper. (Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning is excellent as a substitute for the salt, but not for the black pepper)

Thoroughly stir in fluffy, cooked rice until the desired "dryness" is achieved.

Once again: THE SECRET TO GOOD DIRTY RICE DRESSING IS LOTS OF BLACK PEPPER!

Reply to
Swingman

Yep... I went back to my archives and there it was from your original post....

I'll do some of that for Christmas...

What's your favorite cookbook ???

Sw> Did you see the recipe I posted for "Dirty Rice Dressing"? It is another

Reply to
Pat Barber

Four highly recommended/must have, but one no longer to be found: "Quelle Que Chose" in a red cover, which I loaned out years ago and never got back, but can cook most of the things in it by heart.

"River Road Recipes 1 and 2" and "Talk About Good", all of which I was surprised to see still in print, by the Junior League of Lafayette:

Swingman

Make sure you got the one I posted today ..IIRC, I left something out of the first one posted here a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
nospambob