OT: Internal Combustion Breakthrough?

Page 7 of 7
Robatoy wrote:

Technically, any heat (or sound) produced by an engine is wasted energy. An ideal engine would produce no heat or sound, having converted all the chemical energy into mechanical energy.
Consider my house furnace, for instance...it converts 95% of the fuel energy into useable heat. The exhause is cool enough that it uses plastic pipe for the exhaust.
Given that current car engines are something like 35% efficiency, there is a lot of room for improvement.
Chris

Well, not totally, the heater uaes the engine heat to warm the car in the winter.

Exactly, typically electricity is 4 times more efficient to power a car. Oddly it is cheaper and uses less fuel to create electricity to power that car than it is to use that fuel directly to power the car. Today's car engines are an inefficient design to convert fuel into immediate energy.

With a bit of ingenuity you could use the waste heat to drive a Stirling engine to power the aircon in summer :-)

It would probably be a good idea for him to talk with the SawStop people, they successfully made it happen with similar skepticism and pit falls. I am not so sure that I would be too concerned about connectivity initially. The car sized engine would be tiny, IIRC the inventor held up a coffee can sized object suggesting that a car engine could be that size. With mass production cost would come down and something that small would probably be similar in cost to a starter motor. So you have to replace the motor 3 or 4 times during the life of a car, not totally unlike replacing 3 or 4 sets of tires and or 2 or 3 batteries.
Leon wrote:

Yeah, and we Pittsburghers are worried to death some football billionaire is going to buy Ben Roethlisberger's contract and stick him on a bench to nowhere so some loser can play. You guys kill me...
--
Jack