OT: Interesting

GarageWoodworks

definition in the premise goes completely unanswered - the _contextual_ definition of "liberal" and "liberalism".

Without that clearly defined upfront the entire premise is worth considerably less than a warm bucket of spit.

Reply to
Swingman

I don't have access to the journal (if anyone reading this does, please let me know), but maybe the terms were clearly defined in the study groups that the correlation was derived from. (Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Study 1) and the General Social Surveys)

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

And just maybe "liberals" aren't really known for believing their own propaganda when it comes to "intelligence". :)

This is a tired, well worn, old argument ... I would say that I was surprised to see it re-hashed, but it appears to be just more of the current ivory tower academia mindset not being fully cognizant of historical context.

... or, once again, someone is believing their own propaganda. :)

Anyone who has had a kid in college recently will know what I'm talking about.

Reply to
Swingman

GarageWoodworks

maybe it's a theory, not principle?).

IOW, it boils down to whether you believe your body is in the 21st century and your brain still in the Savannah of ancient Africa?

Now, that _is_ interesting ... lol!

I had a professor in college, an economics professor no less, to whom this was a pet theory, and it was cussed and discussed ad infinitum.

IOW, I first heard the theory of the superiority of "liberal intelligence" some 40 odd years ago. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I haven't read the article yet and I doubt you have either :^) --- Long freak'en article to digest.

But I plan on doing so. I'm actually more interested in the second part of the manuscripts title.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Unless you've been there before ... :)

Forgot to mention an "interesting", to me, parallel that is mentioned in your first link ... belief in a "religion" was, way back when, supposedly the dividing line between the intelligent and the less intelligent, as liberal versus conservative was an almost unheard of distinction at that time.

AAMOF, I've always found it interesting that some of the most intelligent folks I've ever known were either rabidly religious, or rabidly agnostic/atheistic, with little wiggle room in between.

IOW, the "religious" argument, with regard to intelligence, may have a better chance of standing on its own, IMOHO.

Reply to
Swingman

GarageWoodworks wrote in news:20e6155a- snipped-for-privacy@e7g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

I'm always a little suspicious of psychologists, but I like to believe the conclusion!!!

Reply to
Han

ROTFL! ... why am I not surprised! :)

Just kidding, Han, if we had to judge it on respective intelligence, you'd unarguably hold all the cards!

Reply to
Swingman

I really thought this thread would be on fire by now. Politics and religion in the same post? WTF?? :^)

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

If you've got a kid in college, they probably aren't talking unless they're asking for money. When they do talk, they're apt to tell you "you just don't understand."

We just hope he can find a job, when all is said and done.

Reply to
Steve

  1. Joe Biden 2. Maxine Waters 3. Barbara Boxer 4. Barbara Miklulski

Sure.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On 02 Mar 2010 02:08:33 GMT, the infamous Han scrawled the following:

Of course you would, Han. (A Nueva Jorker who's afraid of guns. Two dead giveaways as to your leanings. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I knew that would make your head explode.

Read the article. I just finished it. It's very good.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I don't know their IQ's (nor do you), but I'll give u the benefit of the doubt. The correlation coefficient is not 1. But highly correlated and significant. =A0

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

---------------------------------------- Another one of Larry's piss poor attempts at humor by belching bull shit.

Don't remember Han making any comment about firearms other than he would rather not be bothered owning one.

BTW, since when in the hell did living in Jersey make you a New Yorker?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4b8cb435$0$5327 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

To both Larry and Lew: After university in Holland I had a choice: Compulsory military service or go to the Boston area for graduate work. Spouse said she would come to the US as long as we didn't go to NY City or Texas . Yes we were both very liberal (Dutch version), and afraid of both lawless NYC and Texas .

After almost 7 years in Boston, the only job I could find was in Manhattan, and we are still here, and I will work in Manhattan for 10 more months. Since 1976, we have lived in Queens, Nassau, and now in North Jersey . We're still liberal, AND (very important) fiscally conservative. We have 1 car, a 2005 Grand Caravan, bought second hand.

Yes, in many respects, we are New Yorkers in spirit. What's wrong with that? Have you visited New York and experienced the people?

Reply to
Han

Reply to
HeyBub