OT: Interesting

Page 1 of 3
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100224132655.htm

Abstract:
http://spq.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/0190272510361602v1
On 3/1/2010 6:35 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Twaddle ... mainly due to the fact that the most germane, basic definition in the premise goes completely unanswered - the _contextual_ definition of "liberal" and "liberalism".
Without that clearly defined upfront the entire premise is worth considerably less than a warm bucket of spit.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I don't have access to the journal (if anyone reading this does, please let me know), but maybe the terms were clearly defined in the study groups that the correlation was derived from. (Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Study 1) and the General Social Surveys)
On 3/1/2010 7:16 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

And just maybe "liberals" aren't really known for believing their own propaganda when it comes to "intelligence". :)
This is a tired, well worn, old argument ... I would say that I was surprised to see it re-hashed, but it appears to be just more of the current ivory tower academia mindset not being fully cognizant of historical context.
... or, once again, someone is believing their own propaganda. :)
Anyone who has had a kid in college recently will know what I'm talking about.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

If you've got a kid in college, they probably aren't talking unless they're asking for money. When they do talk, they're apt to tell you "you just don't understand."
We just hope he can find a job, when all is said and done.

FOUND IT. If interested snatch it while you can.
http://personal.lse.ac.uk/Kanazawa/pdfs/SPQ2010OnlineFirst.pdf
On 3/1/2010 7:30 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Which relies upon the "Savanah Principle" as _its_ basic premise (or maybe it's a theory, not principle?).
IOW, it boils down to whether you believe your body is in the 21st century and your brain still in the Savannah of ancient Africa?
Now, that _is_ interesting ... lol!
I had a professor in college, an economics professor no less, to whom this was a pet theory, and it was cussed and discussed ad infinitum.
IOW, I first heard the theory of the superiority of "liberal intelligence" some 40 odd years ago. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I haven't read the article yet and I doubt you have either :^) --- Long freak'en article to digest.
But I plan on doing so. I'm actually more interested in the second part of the manuscripts title.
On 3/1/2010 7:53 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Unless you've been there before ... :)

Forgot to mention an "interesting", to me, parallel that is mentioned in your first link ... belief in a "religion" was, way back when, supposedly the dividing line between the intelligent and the less intelligent, as liberal versus conservative was an almost unheard of distinction at that time.
AAMOF, I've always found it interesting that some of the most intelligent folks I've ever known were either rabidly religious, or rabidly agnostic/atheistic, with little wiggle room in between.
IOW, the "religious" argument, with regard to intelligence, may have a better chance of standing on its own, IMOHO.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 20:02:35 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Quote from ancient Roman (I forget who):
"Religion is believed true by the common people, false by the wise, and useful by the rulers."
The more things change, ...

Opiate of the masses?
Dave in Houston

I'm always a little suspicious of psychologists, but I like to believe the conclusion!!!
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/1/2010 8:08 PM, Han wrote:

ROTFL! ... why am I not surprised! :)
Just kidding, Han, if we had to judge it on respective intelligence, you'd unarguably hold all the cards! <g>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I really thought this thread would be on fire by now. Politics and religion in the same post? WTF?? :^)
scrawled the following:

Of course you would, Han. (A Nueva Jorker who's afraid of guns. Two dead giveaways as to your leanings. ;)
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

Another one of Larry's piss poor attempts at humor by belching bull shit.
Don't remember Han making any comment about firearms other than he would rather not be bothered owning one.
BTW, since when in the hell did living in Jersey make you a New Yorker?
Lew

To both Larry and Lew: After university in Holland I had a choice: Compulsory military service or go to the Boston area for graduate work. Spouse said she would come to the US as long as we didn't go to NY City or Texas <grin>. Yes we were both very liberal (Dutch version), and afraid of both lawless NYC and Texas <grin>. After almost 7 years in Boston, the only job I could find was in Manhattan, and we are still here, and I will work in Manhattan for 10 more months. Since 1976, we have lived in Queens, Nassau, and now in North Jersey <http://radburn.org . We're still liberal, AND (very important) fiscally conservative. We have 1 car, a 2005 Grand Caravan, bought second hand.
Yes, in many respects, we are New Yorkers in spirit. What's wrong with that? Have you visited New York and experienced the people?
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/2/2010 6:44 AM, Han wrote:

I'm curious--what was your objection to compulsory military service? It's not like you were going to go to Vietnam or anything.

At the time, it wasn't really thought a useful thing by many. It has since been changed to a completely voluntary military.
--
Best regards
Han