OT:Ingvar Kamprad to buy GM.

Ingvar Kamprad has by many been ranked as one of the top 3 richest people on Earth. The founder of IKEA has not lost much during this last economic down turn. Together with a few other heavy hitters, he has raised enough to bail out GM world-wide. Just amazing... He intends to continue to produce cars, knowing what he knows about economy of scale, and mass production, and of course outsourcing.

Only one model will be added to the line of GM cars.

Robatoy

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

But it runs on sawdust.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Back in the day, either the Model A or the Model T was sold in a kit form. You had to take the crate apart carefully. Because it became the floorboards. So it has been done. Although the cars were much simpler then.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Henry Ford required the providers of hardware (nuts, bolts) to ship the items in wooden cases of very specific dimensions - the wooden case pieces became the floorboards of the cars. (Somewhere I have my grandfather's copy of the book "Ford at Fifty" which has bits of trivia mixed in with the drier historical data.)

One Ford VP gave his just-got-my-license son a Mustang in the 60's - as a garage full of parts and a mechanic to help him assemble it. Wonder if the kid was more careful with the car because of the hours he put into it?

John

Reply to
news

A friend of mine bought a '66 Mustang as a first car for his 16 year old kid, and they spent endless hours together restoring it (I think the kid was more or less "forced" to participate). And you guessed it; within a few months of getting his license and taking delivery of the car his kid had totaled the damn thing...

Reply to
Steve Turner

I was/am hoping you are serious.

Reply to
Leon

Vega Wagons had 2 doors, actually I think all 4 body styles had 2 doors.

Reply to
Leon

One of the ideas floated around by the alternative energy folks is the "kit car" concept. This is usually associated with fuel cells. Can you imagine the reaction of Detroit and the UAW over a legitimate kit car?

As for hoping that Robatoy is serious.... I wouldn't bet any money on that one.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Can I get that with the Cosworth four-banger?

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Ingvar was a close friend and business partner with one of my Swedish cousins. My cousin declined to become a partner in IKEA as CFO when IKEA was started. OH well, I really don't care for most of their designs anyway.

Reply to
David G. Nagel

I love IKEA. They sell really neat modular kitchens and for a decent price. That leaves the home-owner with some money to buy a Staron solid surface countertop, which IKEA also sells and shows...and *I* fabricate and install...."TaDaaa!!!" Profit! Add to that, that IKEA only shows a limited amount of colours and that makes it easy for me to stock 8 sheets at the time and saving huge on shipping and quantity discount. IKEA's on-line cabinet lay-out/ordering program (which looks a lot like SU, g.d & r) makes it really easy. . . and here Lee thought I was never serious.

Reply to
Robatoy

Kid's name didn't happen to be Russell, did it?

lol

Reply to
Joe

"Robatoy" wrote

Oh we know that you can be serious, when it comes to those fake countertops. :-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

And as long as my clients don't write me fake cheques, I'll be a happy camper.

Incidentally, this 'recession' has people shifting from solid surface to quartz. My quartz business is up 30- 40 % over Jan/Feb last year while solid surface is down about 20%. A change I can believe in. :-^

Reply to
Robatoy

Now you're talkin. I wonder if those engines held up any better. IIRC they essentially used the same Vega engine block but had a shorter stroke. And then there was the Cosworth head.

Reply to
Leon

No, I believe that is a VW Rabbit/Golf, probably a Mark 3. I remember that ad campaign.

Reply to
Gus

No.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I didn't say that I didn't like the IKEA product line, just that I didn't care for it. I'd feel the same if my cousin had become the CFO.

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Aluminum head? Warping problems? Maybe some other motor. Too much information over the past 35 or 40 years.

But, tell me this if you can, Leon: If NASCAR is still running pushrod engines then how is Toyota complying with the regs? Isn't their 5.7 truck motor overhead cam(s)? Of course, I am assuming that motor/block is the basis for their racing engines. I suppose the rules must allow them to fabricate pushrod heads. But then, where does the cam (do the cams) go?

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston