OT: Indy 500 and Danica Patrick.

Page 2 of 3

On Fri, 27 May 2005 15:56:18 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy

Hey, if you think Danica's cute, try boppin' over to Xtreme 4X4 some time. Jessi Combs is right at home with pipe benders, grinders, wrenches of all sorts, air tools, plasma cutters, MIG & TIG welders, and puts together 4WD vehicles then DRIVES THEM. What more could a man ask for? Did I mention that she's just as good looking as Danica but Jessi has an even better personality? I'm in lust.
Xtreme4x4 is shown on Spike TV Saturday and Sunday, just before Trucks! or at http://xtreme4x4tv.com
--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---

I don't know a thing about Daneca's personality, but I read that she was quite cocky. Okay...Jessi can work on my car if she wants to....

[snip]
I know, i KNOW...I said I was sorry....

This subject is off topic. Just a few weeks back woodworking types like Jodi Marks and the Hometime gal were getting all the attention. These hot rodders and racers are tainting the woodworkers. Next thing you know, you'll be having impure thoughts and grow hair on your palms and go blind. I'm up to bifocals myself.
On Sat, 28 May 2005 00:59:12 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy

She and David Marks do about the same when reading scripted material. Don't you watch/record the weekend morning PowerBlock on Spike? Danica is the hostess for that and pops up between segments to usher in the next one.

My truck, too, and I'd be happy to give her a full-body massage afterwards. Internal and external. <domg>

After a few more sorties I'm sure you'll get it right.
http://hotrod.com/racers/ A lot of these gals got my attention, too. Mo Powah to 'em! Disney made a movie about the Enders sisters.
--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.

I can't watch much open wheel racing after watching Nascar. Open wheel just seems so tame in comparision.
I don't watch much racing because each race is a two to three hour investment of time. I will probably watch at least some of the Indy 500.
My time is better spent woodworking and similiar pursuits.
Brian Elfert

Yep.
I grew up around racing. My dad used to build flat-head Fords for Roger McCluskey (http://www.champcarstats.com/year/1973.htm ) when he was starting out here in Tucson. I gravitated into the automotive machine shop biz for a while until I got smart enough to go into EE.
I did drag racing and was the crew chief on a dirt track super-modified (a sprinter with a full roll cage) until my driver was killed in a light plane crash. I used to go to Riverside for the GP races and saw the likes of Sterling Moss (the best race car driver that ever lived IMHO), Dan Gurney, and all of the big name USAC guys when they ran stockers on the road course.
But I've got to agree that NASCAR (live) is awesome. I've been to the last two Phoenix races and didn't realize how good they were until seeing it live. Being a guest in the best suite at the track isn't bad either.
But, that said, give me a wingless sprint car race on dirt anytime. Alcohol fumes and dirt in your eyes. Doesn't get any better than this.

Get a DVR with a hard drive and record the races. You can skip through the 4 minute commercials and watch the rest a 2X speed until something exciting happens. I even do this on the races I see live, that way I can see what I missed.

Sheese. How about an even cuter chick in a 6000 hp, 2000-pound car.
http://www.johnforceracing.com/Crews/Ashley_Index.htm
Your girl is here too but she can't hold a candle to Ashley.
http://hotrod.com/racers/113_0504_ashley_force/index.html
Born 40 years too soon. Where were these women when I was drag racing?
Wes Stewart wrote:

Think Shirley as in Muldowney. Not bad to look at but one of the best top fuelers ever. Just ask Big Daddy.     mahalo,     jo4hn (who once turned 70 in a '50 Chevvy with a Jimmy 6 banger)

One of my favourite movies is Heart Like A Wheel.
To each his own. She looks like my sister.

For those who don't know who Danica Patrick is, these pictures in this link should fill you in a little on her (includes her pictures from FHM): http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/danica.htm
But besides that, she does certainly seem to be able to drive.
Regards, Fred Bearman Port Huron, Michigan

Hey Fred, you and Robatoy are almost neighbors.
Max
I take it from his e-mail provider that he is in Canada - do you know where? It's very interesting living in a border city and having your metropolitan area actually encompassing two countries. My daughter chose to take French all through school here, as many of her friends were across the river and were involved in French immersion classes, so learning to speak French became very important to her.
Regards, Fred Bearman Port Huron, Michigan

Well, Fred, 3 of my daughter all took French immersion, one of them still is. It's very handy here in this 'officially bilingual' country.
My SWMBO (doesn't rhyme with BMBO) gets a few of her favourite groceries in Port Huron. I still do the odd Lowe's or HD visit and stop in and get a pretzel at Birchwood.
My sister, who lives in KC (Olathe) flies into either Flint or Detroit so I'm across that bridge often.
Sarnia is my favourite place on earth. It has everything... just like Port Huron.

Sarnia, right across the bridge. I was born there, grew up in MI. Now living in Texas. My kids all speak Spanish quite well. I struggle with it. <G>
Max D.
She's certainly got a great p.r. machine behind her. For somebody who's never won a car race to get the kind of attention she has is pretty remarkable. Saw some "news" story about last night, they called her a "champion race car driver" again, pretty good p.r. for someone who's never won a race.
I hope she does well, and then gets back to where she belongs, in Champ Cars.
John

Looks like Jill Hennessy's younger sister: can't go wrong with that.
I just hope she doesn't turn into the Anna Kornakova of motor racing: great pictures, no wins.
Lee
Mark & Juanita wrote: ...

As long as there is no obvious intent to cause the event it's just racing--stuff happens at 200+ mph.
On Tue, 31 May 2005 20:33:19 -0700, Mark & Juanita
[snip]

Nope. That's racin'. Of course in open-wheel cars trying to spin somebody out isn't done. Most, but clearly not all, of the crashes are due to slower, non-competitive cars and drivers that probably shouldn't be on the race track. A.J. Foyt IV leaps to mind.
This is not to say that they are unskilled, just that there are three or four teams with the depth (deep pockets) who can afford limitless hours of development, practice, back-up cars, etc. and dominate. The number of driving positions on these teams is limited so other good drivers are left to drive inferior equipment, with limited practice time, so-so pit crews, and so forth.

from what I heard after the race, they're going to be looking hard at a few other races that A.J. IV ran and was involved in crashes while being passed... I'd guess that if there is a pattern there, they could suspend his racing license or something??
Like one of the drivers said, if you're doing 180 mph and being passed by someone doing well over 200, you should KNOW where they are and that you need to get out of the way.. especially with the radios in all the cars now..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing