OT: Indy 500 and Danica Patrick.

Page 1 of 3

I'm a huge open-wheel racing fan. More so F-1 than IRL or CART, but the Indy 500 is a tradition that transcends, somehow beyond the bullshit in IRL and CART's managements. Crazy cars and now a pretty woman too. CAN it get any better than that?
I know that Formula 1 is waaay faster and more exciting, and I'm pretty much up to date on drivers, equipment and points/standings but there are no chick-drivers! Now that IRL has one: http://www.danicaracing.com / I want her to win just because she's cute as a bug..... and I know very little about much else when it comes to drivers, equipment, etc.
A chick with 650 hp 1500-pound car..shhheee-it it's going to be fun!
snipped-for-privacy@BULLtopworks.ca says...

Kentucky Derby. Life just wouldn't be the same without a few traditions.
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

I've been a fan for at least 60 years. Been to the Indy 500 5 times although not lately. I can remember the radio days of Sid Collins, "The Voice Of The Indianapolis 500". I've watched Jimmy Clark, Graham Hill, Parnelli Jones, The Unsers, and many, many more. I'm also a fan of F-1. Alonso and Raikkonen looking good this year after domination by M. Schumacher for so long.
Max D.

You know how women root for ballplayers because they're good looking?
I think I just joined that club. <G>
What a cutie...
There used to be a blonde in the Busch Grand National, but I can't remember her name. She wasn't hard to look at either.
Barry

Yo Max!
I have been to quite a few F-1 races, Montreal, Detroit, Watkins Glen back in them days..Mosport... and Zandvoort and Spa. I drove the Nurnberg Ring (off season). They let you do that for 20 bucks back then. Maybe they still do. Sunday the European GP is there. Gonna be a full day for me with Indy right after....*G*
The last few years have been a frickin' drag. But what do you do? Schumi was/is probably the best ever even though he ruined a few years of F-1 for me. I mean, it's downright boring. race after race, pole position, lead, win. Over and over...grrrrrrrrrr BUT... it looks like we're back. I thought Alonso was going to be a runaway, but Kimi is looking great! Trulli and Ralphie are looking good too. And Weber is a bit of a surprise. I wish Jacques ( with a 'c' ) would work a little harder.
Before I die, I want to watch a race at Monte Carlo.
Here's an interesting tidbit of info. They had a CART race on the Gilles Villeneuve track in Montreal two years ago. Many people have had the barroom discussion who is quicker, the CARTs or the F-1's. The F-1's do the track in Montreal a full 6.5 seconds faster than CARTs. Now that is settled.

USGP Watkins Glen: 1973, 74, 75, 77, 79 Canadian GP Mosposrt Park: 1974 (Trackside phto pass!) USGP Dallas (?), TX: 1984 (Texas in July; talk about HOT)
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Oh hush, show-off!! <G> I've never been able to watch F-1 live. The cutting edge of automotive engineering. But I catch as many as I can on TV. I much prefer F-1, Cart, and IRL over NASCAR (Bubba) racing. The "stock" cars aren't "stock" and carbureted?(what's that?) engines. Too many wrecks.

Cutting edge engineering.
Max (Just wondering if I could swing a trip to Monte Carlo)
[snipped story about NASCAR]

That *IS* the sport. Crashes. Aint it fuhhn? Turn left
turn left
turn left
turn left
Boooohringggggggggggg
On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:17:57 GMT, "Max"

Those cars are simply unfriggin' believable! A few years back I got to Montreal, and the acceleration and nimbleness of those cars just has to be experienced to be believed. TV doesn't do them justice.
I also like visiting the local NASCAR modified oval tracks (Stafford and Thompson), as the competition is pretty tight with 1960's technology. <G>
Barry
On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:17:57 GMT, "Max"

When you never lift, carbs are just fine. Some of the best are made a few miles from me.
http://www.braswell.com /
Their shop is pretty impressive.

Typically something like 43 cars (NASCAR) on a 1-mile oval vs. 24 cars (F1) strung out over a dozen miles, what would one expect?
I was amazed at PIR last Nov. when it took about 90 laps for the first car to retire and that wasn't a wreck.

He's good and certainly had the best equipment. Too bad we couldn't put Sterling, Mario, Juan, Jimmy Clark, the two Stewarts, Jackie and Tony, A.J. and a few others together in identical F1 Ferraris and see who is really the best in F1.
And then take them all to a dirt track and strap a sprint car on them and see what happens. I'd vote for "cousin" Tony. [g]

Add Emerson, Prost , Mansell and Thierry Boutsen to that list.
I think they attempted that somewhat with IROC...just that the cars weren't fast enough to make it exciting.
Any minute now and this thread will turn into a Marciano vs Clay..or Lewis vs Foreman...oooops.. I said too much.

Roy vs. Hasek. <G>
Yankees vs. Red Sox
Rangers vs. Bruins (or Flyers)
Giants vs. Cowboys (or Eagles)
Packers vs. Bears vs. Vikings...
Wallace vs. Earnhardt (think 80's!)
Barry
Robatoy wrote:

And now Robbie Gordon is whining because Ms Patrick is 105 pounds lighter than he is, so has an advantage. It should be interesting, to see if IRL forces her to add 100 pounds of lead in her next race, if she does well in this one.

Some sanctioning bodies weigh the car with the driver, as not only is the total weight judged, but the left to right percentages.
Fat guys can bias an oval car more to the left. <G> The extra overall hit is well worth it on a short track.
Small-time cars have also been known to "lose" some weight from the right side during the race. This weight is usually lead bars slid inside a hollow frame component, blocked with wood wedges, and held in place with a safety bolt. On more than one occasion, the bolt has been "forgotten", causing the weight to unfortunately fall out during a race. <G> It took some bodies years to finally require a rescale after the race of top finishers.
I'm really not making this up.
Barry

My dad and some of his buddies at work did it a few years ago to another coworker. Add gas everyday for a week or two, but then they started to siphon some out. Really messed with this guy's head! Greg

That whole bit is from a Walter Mathau movie from 30+ years ago... "Kotch", I think.
Lee

On some of our local short oval mod tracks, at the end of the feature, it wasn't uncommon to see a couple of weights on the ground, up near the wall. <G>
Great story about the Indy cheater tank.
Barry
On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:07:16 GMT, "Max"

Yeah, all it took was for the FIA to make the qualifying rules as Mickey-Mouse as the ones for the Indy500.
Lee

Yabbut... all those rules apply to everybody. It's not as if the rules include: If you have a red car with a prancing horse logo, your wing has to be smaller than the blue car with the star on it...
But, I agree, this years rule changes sure seemed to have made a huge difference to some teams.

Well, not quite. But they diddled the qualifying rules last year, and it didn't work: Ferrari found strategies to overcome them. The rule changes this year seemed *specifically* designed to make those strategies obsolete.

Or at least some tire companies. Bridgestone has been behind the curve on tire design for several years now, but the Ferrari-Schumacher combination was good enough to make up for it. This year's rules played right into Michelin's strength: their endurance racing experience.
If F1 was actually serious about reducing costs, they would have gone to a "spec" tire a decade ago.
Lee