OT: Indy 500 and Danica Patrick.

I'm a huge open-wheel racing fan. More so F-1 than IRL or CART, but the Indy 500 is a tradition that transcends, somehow beyond the bullshit in IRL and CART's managements. Crazy cars and now a pretty woman too. CAN it get any better than that?

I know that Formula 1 is waaay faster and more exciting, and I'm pretty much up to date on drivers, equipment and points/standings but there are no chick-drivers! Now that IRL has one:

want her to win just because she's cute as a bug..... and I know very little about much else when it comes to drivers, equipment, etc.

A chick with 650 hp 1500-pound car..shhheee-it it's going to be fun!

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm mostly a NASCAR and flat track motorcycle fan, but Indy is like the Kentucky Derby. Life just wouldn't be the same without a few traditions.

Reply to
lgb

I've been a fan for at least 60 years. Been to the Indy 500 5 times although not lately. I can remember the radio days of Sid Collins, "The Voice Of The Indianapolis 500". I've watched Jimmy Clark, Graham Hill, Parnelli Jones, The Unsers, and many, many more. I'm also a fan of F-1. Alonso and Raikkonen looking good this year after domination by M. Schumacher for so long.

Max D.

Reply to
Max

On Fri, 27 May 2005 15:56:18 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy spake:

Hey, if you think Danica's cute, try boppin' over to Xtreme 4X4 some time. Jessi Combs is right at home with pipe benders, grinders, wrenches of all sorts, air tools, plasma cutters, MIG & TIG welders, and puts together 4WD vehicles then DRIVES THEM. What more could a man ask for? Did I mention that she's just as good looking as Danica but Jessi has an even better personality? I'm in lust.

Xtreme4x4 is shown on Spike TV Saturday and Sunday, just before Trucks! or at

Larry Jaques

You know how women root for ballplayers because they're good looking?

I think I just joined that club.

What a cutie...

There used to be a blonde in the Busch Grand National, but I can't remember her name. She wasn't hard to look at either.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I can't watch much open wheel racing after watching Nascar. Open wheel just seems so tame in comparision.

I don't watch much racing because each race is a two to three hour investment of time. I will probably watch at least some of the Indy 500.

My time is better spent woodworking and similiar pursuits.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Sheese. How about an even cuter chick in a 6000 hp, 2000-pound car.

girl is here too but she can't hold a candle to Ashley.

40 years too soon. Where were these women when I was drag racing?

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Yep.

I grew up around racing. My dad used to build flat-head Fords for Roger McCluskey

when he was starting out here in Tucson. I gravitated into the automotive machine shop biz for a while until I got smart enough to go into EE.

I did drag racing and was the crew chief on a dirt track super-modified (a sprinter with a full roll cage) until my driver was killed in a light plane crash. I used to go to Riverside for the GP races and saw the likes of Sterling Moss (the best race car driver that ever lived IMHO), Dan Gurney, and all of the big name USAC guys when they ran stockers on the road course.

But I've got to agree that NASCAR (live) is awesome. I've been to the last two Phoenix races and didn't realize how good they were until seeing it live. Being a guest in the best suite at the track isn't bad either.

But, that said, give me a wingless sprint car race on dirt anytime. Alcohol fumes and dirt in your eyes. Doesn't get any better than this.

Get a DVR with a hard drive and record the races. You can skip through the 4 minute commercials and watch the rest a 2X speed until something exciting happens. I even do this on the races I see live, that way I can see what I missed.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Think Shirley as in Muldowney. Not bad to look at but one of the best top fuelers ever. Just ask Big Daddy. mahalo, jo4hn (who once turned 70 in a '50 Chevvy with a Jimmy 6 banger)

Reply to
jo4hn

I don't know a thing about Daneca's personality, but I read that she was quite cocky. Okay...Jessi can work on my car if she wants to....

[snip]

I know, i KNOW...I said I was sorry....

Reply to
Robatoy

To each his own. She looks like my sister.

Reply to
CW

Yo Max!

I have been to quite a few F-1 races, Montreal, Detroit, Watkins Glen back in them days..Mosport... and Zandvoort and Spa. I drove the Nurnberg Ring (off season). They let you do that for 20 bucks back then. Maybe they still do. Sunday the European GP is there. Gonna be a full day for me with Indy right after....*G*

The last few years have been a frickin' drag. But what do you do? Schumi was/is probably the best ever even though he ruined a few years of F-1 for me. I mean, it's downright boring. race after race, pole position, lead, win. Over and over...grrrrrrrrrr BUT... it looks like we're back. I thought Alonso was going to be a runaway, but Kimi is looking great! Trulli and Ralphie are looking good too. And Weber is a bit of a surprise. I wish Jacques ( with a 'c' ) would work a little harder.

Before I die, I want to watch a race at Monte Carlo.

Here's an interesting tidbit of info. They had a CART race on the Gilles Villeneuve track in Montreal two years ago. Many people have had the barroom discussion who is quicker, the CARTs or the F-1's. The F-1's do the track in Montreal a full 6.5 seconds faster than CARTs. Now that is settled.

Reply to
Robatoy

For those who don't know who Danica Patrick is, these pictures in this link should fill you in a little on her (includes her pictures from FHM):

besides that, she does certainly seem to be able to drive.

Regards, Fred Bearman Port Huron, Michigan

Reply to
Fred

USGP Watkins Glen: 1973, 74, 75, 77, 79 Canadian GP Mosposrt Park: 1974 (Trackside phto pass!) USGP Dallas (?), TX: 1984 (Texas in July; talk about HOT)

Reply to
D. J. MCBRIDE

This subject is off topic. Just a few weeks back woodworking types like Jodi Marks and the Hometime gal were getting all the attention. These hot rodders and racers are tainting the woodworkers. Next thing you know, you'll be having impure thoughts and grow hair on your palms and go blind. I'm up to bifocals myself.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Sat, 28 May 2005 00:59:12 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy spake:

She and David Marks do about the same when reading scripted material. Don't you watch/record the weekend morning PowerBlock on Spike? Danica is the hostess for that and pops up between segments to usher in the next one.

My truck, too, and I'd be happy to give her a full-body massage afterwards. Internal and external.

After a few more sorties I'm sure you'll get it right.

A lot of these gals got my attention, too. Mo Powah to 'em! Disney made a movie about the Enders sisters.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey Fred, you and Robatoy are almost neighbors.

Max

Reply to
Max

Oh hush, show-off!! I've never been able to watch F-1 live. The cutting edge of automotive engineering. But I catch as many as I can on TV. I much prefer F-1, Cart, and IRL over NASCAR (Bubba) racing. The "stock" cars aren't "stock" and carbureted?(what's that?) engines. Too many wrecks.

Cutting edge engineering.

Max (Just wondering if I could swing a trip to Monte Carlo)

Reply to
Max

She's certainly got a great p.r. machine behind her. For somebody who's never won a car race to get the kind of attention she has is pretty remarkable. Saw some "news" story about last night, they called her a "champion race car driver" again, pretty good p.r. for someone who's never won a race.

I hope she does well, and then gets back to where she belongs, in Champ Cars.

John

Reply to
John Emmons

One of my favourite movies is Heart Like A Wheel.

Reply to
Robatoy