OT: In today's news

Page 6 of 7
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:59:33 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

It's about flippin' -time-, Brother Larry.
-- A well-informed mind is the best security against the contagion of folly and of vice. The vacant mind is ever on the watch for relief, and ready to plunge into error, to escape from the languor of idleness. -- Ann Radcliffe
Add pictures here
✖
Larry Blanchard wrote:

If you want to quote George Bernard Shaw, perhaps a more appropriate one is in order:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
“eir00rOho&feature=related
--
Jack
Got Change: Individual Freedom =======> Government Control!
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:54:30 -0400, Jack Stein wrote:

There's no doubt Shaw was an equal opportunity hater :-).

✖
wrote the following:

Provocative! Some of my favorites:
If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion. -George Bernard Shaw
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -George Bernard Shaw
Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children. -George Bernard Shaw
Virtue is insufficient temptation. -George Bernard Shaw
-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
Add pictures here
✖

All you got to do to get disruptions from the Pakis and other usual suspects is announce world wide that Lamb's ran out of Pistachio ice cream. Bastards!
Add pictures here
✖
wrote the following:

Either A) you've been drinking. or B) you're discussing something of an entirely local nature which is not known to any of us outsiders. Whassa "Lamb's" and what does pistachio ice cream have to do with anything?
-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
Add pictures here
✖

Precisely my point. They will disrupt at the drop of a pistachio.
Add pictures here
✖
What is tragic is that so many of you, on both sides, are obviously convinced that you can form an intelligent opinion based on what the media has reported as fact throughout the history of this conflict.
Fools and damn fools ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Hear hear!
And just as tragic how closely this mirrors the attitude of those party to this historical conflict
Y.
Add pictures here
✖

Right?
I remember when I used to get really wrapped around the axle on certain issues, only to find later that what I thought was true simply wasn't.
Wouldn't back off my stance. >> I << felt like >> I << knew the real truth, and the people around me didn't understand the world the way I did.
After all, I watched a lot of news documentaries, right? After all, I read a lot of op-ed pieces that were totally against my point of view to keep my mind open, right? After all, I KNEW I had my fact straight before I started a dialogue, right?
Only to find too many times I had been lied to by the media.
I have no super powers that enable me to be on site to determine the real truth of any given scenario. I think few do, although most seem to think they actually possess them.
For me, while I may not like (or like) what the media says, I cannot corroborate any of their information unless I research....
...other media...
Big help, there.
The internet makes us all experts these days, and sadly, more intolerant of others because we tend to gravitate to the news we want to hear. OUR sources are the correct sources.
I prefer reviewing current events as I did last night with ice cold beer, barbecued pork and fixins, and a great cigar after the meal under the stars.
I decided long ago there is no way to verify the news media itself. And with today's spin doctors, I am surprised folks get too excited with one another these days over "facts".
Who really knows what the truth is these days?
Who has any idea of the truth of goings on the middle east? (Really, anywhere for that matter...) If anyone does, they should share their insight to help unravel the knots. Surely a Nobel Prize would be forthcoming.
Well said, Karl. This is silliness, thankfully marked as OT.
Robert
Add pictures here
✖

Probably no single individual - but it's out there to be gotten.

There are a lot of people living in the ME who have slivers of the whole. There are quite a few Americans in that grouping and, by and large, they maintain a low profile - so you probably won't hear much from them.
I correspond with a sizable group of Americans who grew up in the ME. It's an otherwise unremarkable group, except that we've all tried to keep an eye on events in the region. Some few still live there, but I haven't heard any claim to have become an expert on the Middle East.
I gathered up the related posts to the list that did not include personal info - or information that might endanger someone (or their job) - and pushed them out to a web page. I've included the posts from the guy who went on the US-flagged vessel.
One of the more interesting posts came from a woman in Paris - she had info that I hadn't caught from US sources, and I asked her for permission to quote her post and for some additional source info. I've included her reply with the list postings on the web page linked below.
*, the guy on the US-flagged ship is safely home and has promised to fill us in as soon as he rests up a bit. I won't post his name without his permission.
FWIW, I don't think he's a terrorist. :)

You're welcome. :)
--
Morris Dovey
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/GazaPosts.html

You're a class guy, Morris. Actually the only reason I skimmed this thread. I don't mind a well reasoned measured pondering from folks, which is your hallmark.
I just can't stand the shrill screaming of the know-it-alls when they get tuned up.
That's why I stay out of 99% of these. If I hadn't seen that spark of cynical goodness from the Swinger, I wouldn't have posted at all. His boyish charm is just too much to resist, dontja know...
;^)
Robert
Add pictures here
✖

I agree completely.

*eagerly awaiting Swing's response....*
✖
On 6/4/2010 10:04 AM, Robatoy wrote:

62nd anniversary of being called "boyish", since the last time ... charm is a given. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Oh yeah, baby!
:^)
Robert
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/2/2010 9:59 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Umm - ok, it's about as relevant as earlier American spoutings for killing /all/ the krouts, japs, dagos, chinks,...
...and, frankly, I'd a lot rather people let off steam shouting than doing things that can't be undone/forgotten.

Yeah, me too, but it's much easier said than done - and unfortunately it's always somebody _else_ who needs to clean up their mess.
--
Morris Dovey
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto /
wrote the following:

Yeah, pointless but telling.

"Like pressing the little red button and letting whomever's God sort 'em out?" he queried, mildly. Thermonuclear arms: A li'l something for everybody! <bseg>

Well, I _did_ include "our" xtians, the more predominant religious fidiots in the USA.
-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
Add pictures here
✖
J. Clarke wrote:

The "Arrow" was built on the Patriot platform, then signifcantly upgraded to handle incoming ballistic and non-ballistic missiles. The original Patriot was a grount-to-air device, unsuited for modern cruise missiles - the upgrades devised by the Israelis improved the device significantly.
Likewise, the Israelis invented the Sabot anti-tank round and retrofitted surplus NATO 105mm cannons on WWII Sherman tanks making the Sherman capable of knocking out the most sophisticated Russian tank outfitted with ceramic armor.
NATO then began buying anti-tank Sabot munitions from Israel.
Add pictures here
✖

http://www.fark.com/cgi/vidplayer.pl?IDLink=5389883
Add pictures here