OT: In today's news

Page 1 of 7
(political passion filtered out)
A convoy of civilian passenger and cargo vessels registered in NATO member countries (Greece, Turkey, and the USA) has been attacked by the naval forces of a non-NATO country in international waters, the vessels and cargos seized, and surviving crew and passengers imprisoned.
It'll be interesting to see if and how NATO responds.
--
Morris Dovey
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto /

A compromise with two parties with different gods?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/magazine/30Mayor-t.html?emc=eta1
--
Best regards
Han
On 5/31/2010 6:06 PM, Han wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, Jews and Muslims do not have "different gods". The Koran is very explicit about this. They don't even have different names--both "God" and "Allah" are euphemisms for a name that is forbidden to be spoken aloud.
And their God is the same as our God. They just don't believe in the Trinity. Jesus is a profit to the Jews and Muslims. Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 5/31/2010 6:57 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

<...snipped...>

<...snipped...>
Yes, you can observe this every Christmas...
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:03:57 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

You got that right. "This land is MINE because God gave it to me!" And it'll never end till one or both sides are all dead.

Please tell me what compromise you imagine might be possible with an adversary who maintains, as Hamas does of Israel, that you have no right to even exist.

In addition to that, the real reason why they want unrestricted access to Gaza is to smuggle weapons and rockets in to attack Israel. I wonder if all the lefties in Europe would feel the same way if they were smuggling in arms and explosives to blow up their home town?

IMNSHO, you will need both parties to the conflict to have a true intention to come to a solution. I would dearly love to see that happen, but my lifespan is limited <grin>. I am afraid my teeth won't bother me any more before that solution is achieved.
--
Best regards
Han

They do.
The trouble, Part I, is that they don't have the *same* solution in mind.
The trouble, Part II, is that the solutions they do have in mind are mutually incompatible: the Israelis don't appear to want much more than simply to be left alone, whereas Hamas has the explicit goal of exterminating Israel.
Again, please describe what compromise you imagine to be possible under these circumstances. Note that "I get everything I want and you get squat" is not a compromise. Neither is "We'll leave you alone as soon as all of you are dead".

What? Left alone? To keep expanding their country? To keep building on Palestinian territory?

If they're attacked again, sure they have every right to claim lands gained. They've given most back in the false hope of peace, so I'd expect them to do none of that in the future.

There is no such thing.

Max wrote:

Certainly.
Would anyone want the lands from Morocco to Inda forcibly returned to the Ottoman Empire? Should Ethiopia be returned to Italy? Namibia back to the Germans?
There's 5,000 years of precedent involved here. To the victor belong the spoils.

The law of the jungle still in effect?

At the point of war, certainly.
wrote

Then why are *our* troops worried so much about "collateral" damage? And when do we take control of Iraq's oil wells? And how come I don't own property in Korea?
Max (being rhetorical, of course)

Because the politicians have decided not to wage war, rather bow to the PC press.

Only an idiot leftist believes that was ever the point.

Because you didn't buy it.

wrote

Civilization hasn't really progressed very far have we.

Well, you've obviously missed the point. If the "law of the Jungle" prevails, the *point* is if we "won" the war why don't we get the booty. ("To the victor belong the spoils") Never mind whatever the reason was for us being in Iraq in the first place.

No. Because I couldn't get financing on the Gi bill.