OT: Imaged my First Deep Sky Object

Page 1 of 2

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/astro/Main_13frames_b.jpg
Andromeda Galaxy. Wahhoooo!
13 X 10 seconds
SC 9.25"
Ok - what setup did you use.
Scope type Scope diameter Scope focal length
Camera type
I have Celestron 8" 2000mm
Nikon F on the focal plane.
How about you.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 8/31/2010 7:33 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:32:56 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"

I use a ~6 oz 12 yr old Scotch, 3-4 12 oz Heinekin's, 2 fatties of old-fashioned Maui Wowie, and Revel's Bolero.
Focal length varies considerably, apparently. And the stars and stuff spin a lot. But I see lotsa' stuff like that. Well, kinda'.
-TES

Celestron Schmidt Casegrain 9.25"

9.25"
2350mm
Canon Digital Rebel XT

I always wanted a 11 on a stand in a private lot observatory shell...
Someday when I'm to old to tote maybe.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 9/1/2010 10:12 AM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Shoot, I screwed up my second URL... As long as I'm on this thing, here they are again..
Here we are in 1984, waiting for Halley's Comet...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1052094/22781266-picture.jpeg
And here we are in 2007 celebrating our 30th anniversary...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1052094/5317110107-picture.jpeg
Marty
On 9/1/10 8:21 PM, Marty wrote:

Same coat!?! Nice.
--

-MIKE-

Yup, same coat. I patched the holes over during a power failure this last winter. I tend to get stuck on old stuff... Marty
On 9/1/10 8:46 PM, Marty wrote:

Mucho respect! I still miss the bomber jacket I had in college.
--

-MIKE-

I still miss the safari jacket the USAF gave me in 1961. Unfortunately it did not last as long as the boots and I grew a bit. The uppers on the boots wore out after 25 years. I figure the soles and heels were good for another 25. Still had nail holes in the heels.

Same coat!?! Nice. Yup, same coat. I patched the holes during a power failure this last winter. Looks better now... Marty
On 9/1/2010 8:21 PM, Marty wrote:

Damn ... I was younger than you in 1984 and older in 2007. How did you do that??
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

As this stuff seems to intrigue you (as it does me), I figured I would post these again. You're likely to have these already, but here goes:
Do open them in order for the full effect.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/earth1.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/earth2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/earth3.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/earth4.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/earth5.jpg

Definitely puts things in perspective!

Thanks, Rob! I forwarded these to my daughter the high school physics teacher and her kids. I hope that was OK ..
--
Best regards
Han

I stole them somewhere myself..<oopsies>. I was awestruck by the fact that relative to the earth, we are specks of dirt. Relative to the Big Guys like Antares, we, as humans, are sub-atomic. Then add the fact that there are billions+ of those Big Guys in the Universe and all you can really do, is scratch your head.... The ORBIT of Mars has a diameter of 454million km. The diameter of Antares is 600 million km. . . . Why am I suddenly hearing Carl Sagan's voice? <G>

What would really make these solar system models fun is to line them up with scale distances... a good school project, but involves the use of some driving and a country road.
If the Earth was ONE HALF INCH in diameter, the Moon would be one eighth of an inch in diameter 15 inches away.
The Sun would be Four and a half feet across, and the sizes and distances of the planets from the Sun would be as follows:
Mercury : one eighth inch, 200 feet away Venus: one half inch, 350 feet away Earth: one half inch, 500 feet away Mars: one quarter inch, 760 feet away Jupiter: five and a half inches, 2,600 feet away Saturn: four and a half inches, 4,770 feet away Uranus: one and nine tenths inches, 9,600 feet away Neptune: one and nine tenths inches, 15,050 feet away Pluto: less than one eighth inch, 19,750 feet away
And at this scale, the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, would be 27,000 miles away.
It would be even harder to include the Andromeda Galaxy, which as our Galaxy's nearest large neighbor is two and a half million light years away... That means that light, traveling 186,000 miles per second, takes two and a half million years to get here.
I love this stuff... :) Marty

Which means that if the Andromeda Galaxy blew up 2 million years ago, we wouldn't know about it till 500,000 years from now.
Ohhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BTW, I'm strictly a visual observer. I got my Celestron 8 in 1977.
Here we are in 1984, waiting for Halley's Comet...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1052094/22781266-picture.jpeg
And here we are in 2007 celebrating our 30th anniversary...
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1052094/5317110107-picture.jpg
Marty
I got mine a while before Halley's and was geared up when it came. I got some great shots of Saturn during those years. I was in Austin, Tx.
The bad news is I keep moving into heavy fog and cloud areas. Kills a hobby. I used to look through heavy moisture in Austin and it was interesting. The water was floating in lenses high in the air. I could see between them and when they floated into view a portion would magnify!
Sometimes all was good looking through them and then it was to much.