OT: Iceland

Page 8 of 8
On 3/8/2010 10:50 AM, Morris Dovey wrote:

Not gonna happen in this country. Sadly, the reality is that I can sell a 3800 sf home five times faster than a 2800 sf home in the same neighborhood, even in the worst economic crisis in 70 years ... and prove it again and again every time I build smaller.
It's a cultural thing ... folks who buy new houses in the US are in a certain age demographic, with less common sense to go along with, what is loosely defined these days as, educational level.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

My niece moved into one with 4 other post-college kids and she loves it. I almost threw up when she was showing it to us last summer. Cheaply made, cheaply appointed, and "only" $2,500/mo for the kids. <thud>

I've been a fan of Sarah Susanka ever since I read her wonderful book, _The Not So Big House, A Blueprint for the Way We Really Live_. She hates McMansions more than we do, I believe. It's an excellent read. The hardcover copy in our library that I read years ago disappeared, but I just found the paperback on eBay for $1.64 + $3.99 s/h from the SF Goodwill and grabbed it. Everyone should read it, and I guarantee that many more people would shun McMansions as a result. Of course, the extremely high utility bills from owing those houses would be a killer, too. (Right, Algore? Har!)
Speaking of which, I just received an $85 check from my gas company! They screwed up on my Comfort Level Billing scheme and overcharged me, so they returned it. (CLB: Instead of paying whoppers in the winter and nothing at all in the summer, I pay one monthly rate all year.)
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
She's growing up nice...
http://www.dailystab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/bjork-interview-1.jpg