OT: Iceland

Page 6 of 8

My lawyer is far from 'great. But within the limitation of my use of his services, he's excellent. My mechanic is fantastic for oil changes, lightbulbs etc, but that's not the one who gets to be near my timing chains/turbos. A doctor for this and a doctor for that.

There seems to be a lot of it on the market (though not all of the 400 were anything like I linked). I can't see the "days on market", but I'll bet they've been there for more than a month. ;-)

They still have to come up with $20-30K for a reasonable down payment. Though it's do-able with a reasonable job.

Like I said, I've heard that in every state I've lived (IL, NY, VT, OH, and now AL). They have to be moving *somewhere*. I doubt it'll be CA anymore. Of the above, VT actively discouraged businesses of all types, then complained because there were no jobs. Of course they locked up the land, made 10 acre minimums, and add outrageous land taxes, and then complain about housing prices, too. There is a reason we packed up and moved (our property taxes are 1/4 what they were on two-thirds more house).
On 3/8/2010 7:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Two of Carol's three kids moved out of state immediately after graduation - one is a teacher near Phoenix, and the other moved to Denver (and later to Houston). Both apparently have a lot of school friends from Iowa in their new locations. I've Heard that a lot of new grads move to Chicago.
For some reason California hasn't been as popular a destination for Iowans. I've heard a number of people (including movers) say that those who moved to California nearly always moved back.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I guess that's not surprising, given the proximity. I'd think Minneapolis would be a more common choice. It's a much nicer city to live in (Chicago sucks). I'm trying to convince the kid to move out of the Northeast. He could afford to buy a house here. Never, even in rural Vermont.

Culture shock, I suppose. When I was looking two years ago (retired once ;-) I told the recruiters from CA and MA (and there were a lot of them) that their companies didn't have enough money to get me to even think about either coast.
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:20:25 -0800 (PST), the infamous

It's all about "appearances", keeping up with the Joneses. Hell, I don't want to keep up with the Joneses. I can't even keep up with the Simpsons.

True. And many can't afford rent because they're too busy drinking beer, smokin' crack, and poppin' out babies.
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

No, I like space. I like king size beds and being able to walk around furniture. Large closets are nice, too. Our kitchen, breakfast is bigger than our first bedroom and master bath is bigger then the kid's room in the first house. I don't care what the neighbor has. The idiot drives a Hummer.

The key to not living in poverty are 1) graduate high school, 2) get a job, 3) get married, 4) have kids - in that order. Follow those rules and it's not hard to rise above poverty in this country.
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 22:30:32 -0600, the infamous
following:

I can see the validity of education and work, but what do getting married and having children have to do with _income_? Oh, second income from the wife working? How do the kids turn out with no parental relevancy? (Check the rap sheets.)
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
Larry,
I think he means don't get married and don't have kids before you gradate high school and get a job. ;o)
But, you make a good point, too.
I don't know how old everybody is but I remember growing up and almost everybody had smallish houses and, if you were lucky, you had a one- car garage. The rooms were markedly smaller than the obnoxious ones today. Two or three kids would be piled into one bedroom. There would be no elbow room around the supper table. Everybody would watch the same TV show in the same room because there was only one TV (and it wasn't always color!).
The thing is, in a way, a lot of room is nice. In another way, however, it is a millstone around your neck. You pay more for everything house-related because, well, there is more of it. You tend to accumulate more *junk* that you don't need. And whenever you follow the sequence set forth above, once the kids move out, the place is just too dang big for two old people. Then common sense returns and the old people look for a smaller place--with a bigger workshop (one that does not have to be shared with a stinking car).
I sort of agree that getting a big house is like trying to keep up with the Joneses or Smiths or Rockefellers. You can come up with 1,000+ excuses of why that may not be the case but logic will keep bringing you back to you trying to keep up with the Joneses.
My wife has attempted to pressure me into buying newer and bigger over the past 20 years but all I did was add on one 13x22 room on the main floor of my smallish split-entry house and dug out the same size room downstairs that she sort of took over as personal storage space. Now that the oldest is getting ready to go off to college in the fall, the place seems almost big enough. Once the younger one goes to college, it will be just right.
Well, not really "just right" because the wife insists on cars being in the garage and the, *gasp*, tools moved out of the way but this is a small price to pay when you realize you are done paying a mortgage and you actually own the place lock, stock, and barrel.
The saddest thing is that the monthly property tax allocation is now more than the mortgage we used to pay. But that is the subject of another thread........

Yes. (...in that order)

We didn't get a TV set (a B&W) until I was about 12. When my son was young I refused to buy a second set for this reason. I still won't have one in our bedroom, but we do have one in the guest bedroom.

Move every ten years. ;-) We've moved three times in fifteen and the junk has been kept to a minimum. We've also outgrown the chochkis phase. If it's not something special, that we know that we'll want to look at for the next few decades, it doesn't get bought. We don't do clutter anymore. Cleaning a large house is still work.

When the kid moved out we bought a bigger house. ;-) Why would the car share space with the workshop? The car sleeps in the driveway. ;-)

Nonsense. I *like* the amenities of a big house; big kitchens, dining room (for the CHERRY furniture), and master suite (w/ king size bed). I really don't care what the neighbors have (our vehicles are 9 and 10 years old).

I'd never add onto a house, but that's me.

I have a couple of years left on that one (bought in '08 and will pay it off in '12 or '13).

That's the beauty of living in the South. My taxes are 1/4 what I paid in my last house.

Depends upon where you live in the South ... my property taxes in Houston are in excess of $1000/mos.
We have to haul a lot of education and health care freight for illegals, indigents, and refugees from storms, and my youngest daughter was just refused by her insurance company for $30k worth of surgery to stop imminent blindness in one eye.
Fuck all you liberal bastards ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 10:59:45 -0600, Swingman wrote:

I thought it was all those "liberal bastards" who were trying to fix the health insurance problems?

On 3/9/2010 11:32 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

You thought, but didn't think ... there is NO line, paid for by _my_ taxes, for her to stand in because she speaks only English. There is NO, advocate, paid for by _my_ taxes, available to her, because she is blonde haired and blue-eyed. She has to work three jobs to make ends meet, and the taxes that go along with them, but has to go to the end of the line because she is a citizen and not a minority.
Liberal policies have resulted in the overloading of social systems in this country by illegals and freeloaders, which is at the very core of the problem.
Too many of you don't "think"!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:53:42 -0600, Swingman wrote:

And that rant has *what* to do with the fact that it was her insurance company that refused to pay?
Maybe you should "think" before replying.

On 3/9/2010 8:31 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

If you had the ability, you wouldn't have replied ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Larry Blanchard wrote:

No. Fromt he progressive's viewpoint, health care reform is only the means to the end, not the end itself.
On 3/10/2010 6:42 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Reaffirming ... to see an intellect sufficient to pierce to the heart of the matter, instinctively and without the need for a 'Dick and Jane' explanation.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

No intellect is really necessary if one performs the basic two-step process:
1. Discount or ignore the reasons offered by a progressive - they are almost always a lie, and 2. What available reason: a) Promotes equality of status and b) Feels or sounds good?

Yea... whatever you do.. do NOT progress/adjust to the changing world. Stick to your old fashioned ways and don't forget to polish that belt- buckle on your hat.
It *is* possible to keep your faith, your standards, your morals AND move upward and onward. Since when is progression a bad thing? Oh... nebber minnnd... I get it... you're afraid of change.

Ow! That's twice what I paid in VT (8x my current taxes). I thought TX was supposed to be a friendly state.

Reason given?

You?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

no tx state income tax. they have to get the money somewhere, sorta like a fat lady in pantyhose. it has to bulge out somewhere.