OT - I was secretly hoping ...

Page 2 of 2
Leon wrote:

Journalists are like most of us, some are better at their jobs than others, and some work for companies that are less scrupulous than others. That's why I think it's important to get news from a wide range of sources, that way you have at least a chance of figuring out what might have happened, maybe. But for sure you shouldn't put any faith at all in somebody who doesn't mind using urban myths in his broadcasts for their amusement value without bothering to admit it.

Say what?
: Oh yeah, I remember now, there's also that parable that some of my relations : live by, you know, the one about the multitude that loafs and fishes.
    Excellent!
    -- Andy Barss

Well over 50 years ago ... and way before TV made it on the scene. Too bad you're too tight assed to have enjoyed the experience.
And what

Now, once again ,,, what part of COMMENTARY don't you understand?

Michael who?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Being lied to is supposed to be enjoyable?

No sir, that dog won't hunt. If I tell you a story that is pure fabrication, never really happened, but I present it as factual, how does that qualify as "commentary?" Or if I tell you a story based on a real incident but with important facts left out in a way that misleads you as to what really happened, again, how does that qualify as "commentary?"
Hey, it's your dime, if you enjoyed this cracker-barrel philosopher then by all means order the series of PH CDs that are probably already being prepared for market (if they aren't already available). But maybe try to remember in between chuckles that some of what you're hearing never really happened, some writer cooked it up and sold it the Harvey organization, it's fiction. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, just don't be so foolish as to believe it.

Despite your protestations that you bear him no ill will, you sure appear to be going to the extra effort to prove him less a person than what many believe. Or, is it just the argument itself that prompts you?
:> prepared for market (if they aren't already available). But maybe try to :> remember in between chuckles that some of what you're hearing never really :> happened, some writer cooked it up and sold it the Harvey organization,: it's :> fiction. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, just don't be so foolish as to :> believe it. : Despite your protestations that you bear him no ill will, you sure appear to : be going to the extra effort to prove him less a person than what many : believe.
Some people (I'm one of them) get annoyed when someone is held up as a hero and an icon of character, when they're actually a huckster (Jerry Lewis is another example). YMMV.
He presented many, many incorrect stories as fact, and a lot of people -- I suspect most of his fans -- never thought to question their veracity. The stories may have been harmless, but some people care that a major radio personality was taken as presenting truthful behind the scenes stuff as whole truth when a lot of what he said was wrong. As in made up, urban legends, nonsense.
    -- Andy Barss
Upscale wrote:

It cracks me up that simply noting that Harvey sometimes used material that was fictional has some of you guys waving torches and pitchforks. Look, if you enjoyed his work, great, buy the whole collection on CD and listen to it all over again. But if it upsets your digestion to know that Harvey used fabricated stories on occasion, and was also know to take liberties with the facts to suit his point of view, then I recommend you avoid web searches on the subject because you might find specific examples where journalists checked into some of his stories and found they were, shall we say, factually challenged. Me, there are lots of people I admire despite their character flaws, I'm not looking for heroes to put on pedestals, but you suit yourself.
DGDevin wrote:

The girls I dated seemed to enjoy it...
HeyBub wrote:

Ummmm, speaking of lies, is the expression "faking it" one you're familiar with...?

His "rest of the story" was a good example of that.
On my last job I demand my lunch hour to start a 11:30 so I could sit in my car and hear him on the radio.I did that for many years. After I retired three years ago ,I didn't take the time to listen anymore ,now it's to late . Some times you just loose out on the good stuff. Jr
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke