[OT] I'm celebrating!

Page 2 of 3
Morris Dovey wrote: > Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today > I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels > and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma > for the next couple of decades. > > I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's > excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen for a > while. > > The semi driver seemed to get a kick out of the fact that I'd never > shipped anything by truck before and that he was part of a /first/ of > something - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with > precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads. > > As he climbed into the cab he grinned and said: "Have 'em there in two > days! See ya next time..." > > Poetry!
Almost as good as sex.
Congrats, you earned it.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:
| Almost as good as sex.
It /was/ good - but I'm not sure it was _that_ good - but then again, I'm a much younger guy. ;-)
| Congrats, you earned it.
Thanks, Lew.

Damn, Lew... IMHO, the only think almost as good as sex is more sex.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Congrats, Morris -- hope this is the first of many.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:
|| Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. || Today I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating || panels and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in || Oklahoma for the next couple of decades. | | Congrats, Morris -- hope this is the first of many.
Thanks, Doug. Me too! :-)

Congrats, Morris!!!
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"
Mike M wrote:
| Congrats, Morris!!!
Many thanks, Mike!
..... - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with

They have recently become a favorite fastener of mine.... but the guy in the other end will probably not have made the conversion to square drive and be cussing and your %$#@!!! pretty pallet that he can't get apart ;-)
BTW congrats.
-Steve

Stephen M wrote: | ..... | - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with || precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads. | | They have recently become a favorite fastener of mine.... but the | guy in the other end will probably not have made the conversion to | square drive and be cussing and your %$#@!!! pretty pallet that he | can't get apart ;-)
Steve...
If so, it'll be because he's really desperate for wood - all of the wood used for this pallet was recycled (at least once). The skids were from the first (and last) pallet I disassembled in the current shop.
The deck is OSB, so all he'll need to do is leave it out in the rain a few times. :-)
pretty pallet that he

My bad... I was thinking crate not pallet. That is, you have to get into it to get your product.

Here's to telling OPEC to go fuck itself. Cheers.
Father Haskell wrote:
| Here's to telling OPEC to go f--- itself. Cheers.
Let's hold off on that one until we don't need their oil any longer - and then let's not forget which members of OPEC have been willing to act in /our/ best interests.
I'm willing to bet that as we replace petroleum as a source of energy, we'll find new (and possibly better) uses than just burning it.

You mean like a feedstock for the chemical and plastics industries?
scott
On Jun 20, 6:01 pm, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

I thought we were going to use hemp for that.

Petroleum based oils are the best bike lube, since they don't gum up. What'll we need, 1 pint per bike every 3 years?
Father Haskell wrote:
|| I'm willing to bet that as we replace petroleum as a source of || energy, we'll find new (and possibly better) uses than just || burning it. | | Petroleum based oils are the best bike lube, since they don't gum | up. | What'll we need, 1 pint per bike every 3 years?
I dunno (maybe) - how about lifetime lube for replacement knees, hips, elbows, fingers, ...?
I thought you were going to announce a birthday. Pretty cool being an interstate vendor now.

Congrats! May it be the first of many!

I probably had a similar feeling cashing my first computer consulting check. It was income I got because I hunted, stalked and captured business in the marketplace. <sound>Roaring Lion</sound> It's a totally different feeling from "skills whoring," that is, getting paid for a 9-to-5.
It happened 23 years ago. I haven't forgotten it, and it still isn't silly. ;-)
On another topic some of us know how to use a glue bottle and we don't need much of an excuse to get longer clamps if we need them. Have you considered DIY kits?
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:
| || Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. || Today I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating || panels and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in || Oklahoma for the next couple of decades. | | Congrats! May it be the first of many!
Thanks! I hope it is - and I hope it insires at least a few woodworkers to build their own so they can enjoy their shop more in the winter.
|| I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's || excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen || for a while. | | I probably had a similar feeling cashing my first computer | consulting check. It was income I got because I hunted, stalked and | captured business in the marketplace. <sound>Roaring Lion</sound> | It's a totally different feeling from "skills whoring," that is, | getting paid for a 9-to-5.
Yuppers. Belated congrats to you, too. It takes more than just a little bit of courage to let go of a sure thing to go it on your own. I respect that.
| It happened 23 years ago. I haven't forgotten it, and it still | isn't silly. ;-) | | On another topic some of us know how to use a glue bottle and we | don't need much of an excuse to get longer clamps if we need them. | Have you considered DIY kits?
I have, but there are significant difficulties involved. I did a quick count and the Madison County panels had a grand total of somewhere near 600 parts. The kit would not be a quick/easy/simple build, and by the time jig/clamp (and _increased_ packing and shipping) costs were figured in, the purchase cost advantage would be pretty well eaten up. When I considered the amount of time I'd end up spending on the phone being verbally abused by people who won't read or follow directions, it didn't seem like such a good idea.
My next thought was to sell plans and absorber/heat exchanger kits - but that'd play much like trying to make a living selling a well-documented software source code package, and I'm just not into being ripped off (did that once and won't repeat the mistake - over 100K downloads, two thank you emails, and no grocery money - see http://www.iedu.com/mrd/c/mtrace.c for _your_ free copy). There have been even more downloads of the tarballed executable at http://www.iedu.com/project/ and I've actually gotten hate/flame e-mails from Dr FSF's disciples for not providing the source for that package online (AFAICT, no one has succeeded in decompiling/reverse-engineering it <vbg>). All in all, it just seems to make more sense to sell the product and offer encouragement to DIY types wherever I think it might do some good.
Well done Morris.
Many threads here have some sensible advice from you. I know I've appreciated them. I followed one of the threads to your website and saw how you heated up a pretty big space with your solar heaters - impressive. Glad to see that "the little guy" can make inroads where the "big guys" don't bother to tread.
Keep it going!
Regards.