[OT] I'm celebrating!

Page 1 of 3
Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma for the next couple of decades.
I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen for a while.
The semi driver seemed to get a kick out of the fact that I'd never shipped anything by truck before and that he was part of a /first/ of something - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads.
As he climbed into the cab he grinned and said: "Have 'em there in two days! See ya next time..."
Poetry!
Congratulations! Here's to a long, thriving trade.
-- Kurt
Kurt wrote:
| Congratulations! Here's to a long, thriving trade.
Thanks, Kurt. It's been a long, slow (not very thriving so far) haul. I'm getting a bit too old to hope for long, but thriving would be good! :-)
Morris,
Hang on to that priceless feeling of elation and accomplishment - you deserve it. It will also sustain and lift your spirits in the bad times that may follow, giving you strength to get through - to more great times.
Warm congratulations - I remember well our first big sale - and the smile that lasts for soooo long :-)
Mike

Mike Richardson wrote: | Morris, | | Hang on to that priceless feeling of elation and accomplishment | - you deserve it. It will also sustain and lift your spirits in | the bad times that may follow, giving you strength to get through - | to more great times.
I'm not out of the woods yet. It's been a long five years and there have been plenty of times when I found myself wondering if it'd really be worth the all the grief. There's an oversupply of scepticism about solar energy that stems from a lot of really primitive stuff done in the 70's. The advent of lower-priced photovoltaics has helped some, but people are still generally wary - but energy prices are engendering a willingness to re-examine solar for heating.
| Warm congratulations - I remember well our first big sale - and | the smile that lasts for soooo long :-)
Many thanks! It is a good feeling. <vbg>
Morris Dovey wrote:

Congratulations Morris! Hope this works out for everyone involved. This is the way we are going to solve our energy dependence -- one cost-effective solution at a time.
Mark & Juanita wrote:
| Congratulations Morris! Hope this works out for everyone | involved. This is the way we are going to solve our energy | dependence -- one cost-effective solution at a time.
Thanks! I think it'll work out well. I'm hoping that, for a least a few people, it solves the problem of keeping warm in the wintertime.
There are a lot more problems waiting to be solved - opportunities abound!

Good on ya, Morris...
You'll be filling International orders some day...
Hope ya have a good tax person... *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:
| You'll be filling International orders some day...
Strange you should mention that... This sorta ties in with one of your threads - I'd been having difficulty with shipping. Seems like local trucking outfits aren't too enthusiastic about dealing with enterprises as small as mine.
I'd put off two prospective customers - one in Arizona and one in Canada - because I couldn't seem to get any traction on shipping until an outside sales person from an outfit called Unishippers stopped to visit one of my neighbors when I happened to be in their shop. I dropped in at their office and ended up talking to an eager new employee who said simply: "Tell me what you want to ship and where you want it to go, and I'll do whatever it takes to get it on its way in 24 hours or less." IMO, the world needs a few more like him.
I'm hoping that I haven't lost the two customers. If I haven't, my first Canadian order may ship in July. :-)
Much more "iffy", but I've had an inquiry about panels in shipping container sized lots for the Ukraine. An order like that would produce interesting (but *good*) problems.
| Hope ya have a good tax person... *g*
Well, it hasn't been an issue yet - but I'm hoping for the need. :-)
Hello Morris,
I ship from Canada to the U.S. and use Roadway (or their affiliates) most often. The rates vary considerably, but you should receive their standard 68% discount. If not, tell them you are going with UPS Freight if you don't get their best rate.
Be careful, especially from 'overseas' requests, like from the Ukraine. One scam is, at the last minute when the truck is loaded, the overseas payment arrives by 'certified bank draft' , which takes several weeks to clear. They will apply pressure to get your product . Just hang tight on the shipping until the coins are nestled neatly in your pocket.
Best of luck ...Ken

Island Teak wrote: | Hello Morris, | | I ship from Canada to the U.S. and use Roadway (or their | affiliates) most often. The rates vary considerably, but you should | receive their standard 68% discount. If not, tell them you are | going with UPS Freight if you don't get their best rate.
Ken...
I'm taking a middle road - by letting a third party who knows their way around do the negotiating. They take a cut, of course, but they claim that the amount I pay will almost certainly be less than I'd pay if I were dealing directly with the freight companies. My view is that their cut provides me with a low-cost shipping department. :-)
| Be careful, especially from 'overseas' requests, like from the | Ukraine. One scam is, at the last minute when the truck is loaded, | the overseas payment arrives by 'certified bank draft' , which | takes several weeks to clear. They will apply pressure to get your | product . Just hang tight on the shipping until the coins are | nestled neatly in your pocket.
It's not yet a problem. At present orders don't even go into the production queue until the full prepayment check has cleared. It hasn't so much been a matter of trust (or lack thereof) as it's been a matter of necessity - the first use of the funds received is to purchase the raw materials for that order. There haven't been any bad checks so far - and the amazing thing is that there haven't been any complaints about having to prepay.
Morris Dovey wrote:
> > I'm taking a middle road - by letting a third party who knows their > way around do the negotiating. They take a cut, of course, but they > claim that the amount I pay will almost certainly be less than I'd pay > if I were dealing directly with the freight companies. My view is that > their cut provides me with a low-cost shipping department. :-)
If this stuff ships common carrier, then FOB, Point of Shipment, Freight Prepaid and billed or freight collect makes a lot of sense.
Lew
Morris... This is a dim memory from my days as a driver, but...
Talk to a few independent drivers and get the names of a couple of local "brokers"... They're the middle men between the shippers and the truckers and they almost always have either some space left on a truck or one coming back empty from somewhere...
Also, a friend claims that UPS also delivers crates and pallets, but I have no idea if it's true..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote: | On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 01:03:57 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
| | | Morris... This is a dim memory from my days as a driver, but... | | Talk to a few independent drivers and get the names of a couple of | local "brokers"... | They're the middle men between the shippers and the truckers and | they almost always have either some space left on a truck or one | coming back empty from somewhere...
Will do.
| Also, a friend claims that UPS also delivers crates and pallets, | but I have no idea if it's true..
A local UPS person warned me that UPS would be "the high-cost option". I like your first suggestion better. :-)

I know you sell heat, my friend, but good-on-ya.
I have been in the transition between proto and market.... Man, you have no idea how much I am rooting for ya!
Robatoy wrote:
| I know you sell heat, my friend, but good-on-ya.
Oh here we go again... ;-)
The heat is free. It's there. It's been there. It'll still be there long after we're gone. I just sell a device to bring it indoors. I also try really hard to convince those who have the skills to DIY and drop all the hints I can (without cutting my own throat) to make it easy for them as I can manage.
For those who don't have the skills or don't have the time to DIY, I think I have a pretty good product for the price.
| I have been in the transition between proto and market.... Man, you | have no idea how much I am rooting for ya!
Thanks - it helps. I have a really difficult time turning off the engineer and activating the salesman. Usually by the time the time a prospective customer's eyes glaze over I can recognize that I've provided way too much detail. If I can get this operation to the point where someone else (not involved with design) is selling, I think the business will do much better. I'm probably my own worst impediment, and knowing that is sometimes discouraging.

Congratulations Morris!
I will hoist a drink in your honor this fine evening.
You are one of the good guys.
Lee Michaels wrote:
| Congratulations Morris!
Many thanks!
| I will hoist a drink in your honor this fine evening.
An absolutely first class idea! I think I'll join you.
| You are one of the good guys.
I'm not sure about good - but sometimes I do get lucky. ;-)

Leon wrote:
| Cool, I can relate.
Yessir - I think it was mostly his confidence that there /would/ be a next time that felt so good. :-)