OT: I KNEW you' Merkans knew how to fix stuff:

Page 10 of 14
DGDevin wrote:

You're correct. But a solitary prayer is way down on the list.
Judaism teaches that when ten or more gather, they represent the entire community and their prayers are more efficacious.
Jesus said: "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."
The Muslims probably have a similar doctrine.
Point is, it is a tenet of western religions to offer their supplications in groups. Some feel that by the government interfering with this practice, the ability to practice their religion is hampered, that God doesn't hear their prayers, and they will fail the Algebra test.
Who knows how much better school test scores would be it the government would get out of the way and allow goat sacrifice or whatever?
HeyBub wrote the following:

But what if they are of different religions, as exist in a lot of schools, at least here in the US?

So, If I am alone, Christ is not with me.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Are you in prison? If so, He's around there somewhere ...

willshak wrote:

Pagans can be ignored.

I don't know, you'll have to ask Jesus. To be sure you get an answer, though, best you have one or two friends with you when you ask.

Burnt Offerings! Better yet, Virgins!

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Then as someone else pointed out, at lunch a dozen of them can gather under a tree and read the Bible or whatever en masse--just so long as it isn't at the taxpayer's expense or is a matter of school policy.

Muslims are required to pray five times a day, two of those occasions being during normal school hours. I believe Judaism traditionally has three daily prayers--morning, noon and night although I can't recall that being an issue for any of the Jewish kids I went to school with Can you point to any requirement for Christians to pray at specific times during the day? If not there would seem to be little to no case behind the demand that Christians need to pray at school as opposed to the three-quarters of the day when they are at school.

Anyone who can't live with their kids not praying for the five or six hours a day they're at school can pony up the money for a private religious education. And I'll happily drop a dime on them with the ASPCA concerning their goat slaughtering.
This all goes back to St. Carlin's 11th Commandment: Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.
DGDevin wrote:

I'd be for that if they didn't have to also pay local school taxes.

But some religions teach otherwise. In Christianity, it is a positive duty to proselytize. Those who are prevented from so doing have a legitimate beef. In Islam, it is a pillar of the faith that all be brought into submission or die. Those who are likewise prohibited from lopping off the heads of their classmates are similarily suppressed.
"HeyBub" wrote in message

By that reasoning someone with no kids shouldn't have to pay school taxes, somebody without a car shouldn't be taxed to pay for roads, and somebody with his own pool shouldn't have his taxes go towards building a public swimming pool. Public schools and public roads and public pools are of benefit to society as a whole, it isn't a matter of each taxpayer being able to opt-out of any tax he figures doesn't benefit him personally. However in some places you can get your school taxes moved to a school system you want to support, e.g. places with separate Roman Catholic schools where you can send your kids if you feel unable to burden them with enough guilt at home.

That's their problem; no reason for anyone else to put up with it.

As do those who insist their faith allows them multiple child brides--yet somehow I have a tough time working up much sympathy for them.

Yet many millions of Muslims manage to get through life ignoring that doctrine, just as many millions of Christians feel no need to emulate Old Testament slaughtering of non-believers. It is a mark of the advance of civilization that so many people do not feel obligated to follow the particularly foolish rules which abound in the various religious instruction manuals.

Them's the breaks.
Lord, save us from your believers.
Just Wondering wrote the following:

The reason for the law was to prevent the government from establishing a national religion, such as the Church of England, which many of the colonists had escaped from. It stills exists today, but the religion is Islam.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
wrote in message

The Beatee was in a GAS STATION.

On 4/21/2011 8:32 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Your point?
If you shove yourself in a person's face repeatedly - whatever your views - and no one stops this forceful action, sooner or later someone is going to push back.
The Westborough people are obnoxious. But the foul here isn't their views. The foul is their insistence on trying to make people listen to said views in all venues whether anyone wants to hear it or not.
Again: You have a right to speak, not a right to be heard.
wrote in message

Where does the OP say anything about him shoving himself in somebody's face?
On 4/21/2011 9:39 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

The OP didn't. However, the behavior of the Westboro people is well documented. They wish to inflict their views forcibly upon people in the most private of all human experiences - a funeral. Like I said, if government doesn't act to prevent forcible action of this kind, then the individual citizens will respond. You want this to stop? So do I. I want the Westboro people to have the right to speak and I want the grieving families to be able to not listen...
wrote in message

On that, we agree. Beating a single individual in a Gas Station is not a Positive contribution.

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Yep. You've got to take out the nest.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

Personally I don't think there's much disagreement that beating the guy was excessive. On the other hand I have trouble really feeling bad for him or criticizing the people who "didn't see anything". "Taking out the nest" though is, when you get right down to it, advocacy of terrorism and that's not a path that anybody who I would have any respect for wants to see society go down. If they managed to set their church on fire having locked themselve inside it, or an earthquake collapsed it on their heads or a meteor landed on it or the like, I wouldn't shed a tear, but someone else deliberately destroying it goes across the line.

In a Court ...

Lobby Dosser wrote:

I prefer hosing them down with "Granny Fingle's Black Rhino Flying Insect Killer and Volcanic Devestator Poltice."
wrote: [snipped for brevity]

Yup. . . . . his cheek...and turned into a bulbous pudding.
On Apr 21, 1:53pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote: [snpferred]

...and that reminds me of this:
And the meanest, ugliest, nastiest one, the meanest father raper of them all, was coming over to me and he was mean 'n' ugly 'n' nasty 'n' horrible and all kind of things and he sat down next to me and said, "Kid, whad'ya get?" I said, "I didn't get nothing, I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage." He said, "What were you arrested for, kid?" And I said, "Littering." And they all moved away from me on the bench there, and the hairy eyeball and all kinds of mean nasty things, till I said, "And creating a nuisance." And they all came back, shook my hand, and we had a great time on the bench, talkin about crime, mother stabbing, father raping, all kinds of groovy things that we was talking about on the bench.