OT: I KNEW you' Merkans knew how to fix stuff:

Page 8 of 14
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

No, it makes Muslims, Christians, and Atheists all religious though.
If you accept revealed truth you have a religion. Antitheists who call themselves atheists accept the revealed truth that there is no deity.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:30:56 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Trolling again? What prophet revealed the "truth" of atheism?

Each atheist who decides that he knows with certainty that there is no deity is such a prophet.
On 4/26/2011 1:30 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

What do you mean by "revealed truth"? As I understand it, an atheist would not believe that any truth is "revealed".
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

Which is part of the problem. They don't understand that their "knowing" that there is no deity is no different from any other prophet "knowing" that there is a deity.
On 4/26/2011 12:55 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

>> atheists take the nonexistence of God on faith.

I think you guys (yins in Pgh) must first agree on the definition of "religion" before you debate whether or not something is a religion. Broad definitions abound and how strict or loosely you define religion makes a big difference.
Personally, I don't think simply having faith in something is enough to call it a religion. I think some atheists exercise their beliefs as a religion, and some don't. Those that do are far more tiring than even the most annoying evangelical. But that is based on my view of what makes something a religion.
As for atheist vs agnostic. The differences are pretty minor and not relevant other than for the joy of debate.
--
Jack

No! Other way around - a lack of belief in the existence of a deity.

Very strange indeed!
On 4/26/2011 9:52 AM, David Paste wrote:

That's more a description of agnosticism.

Agnosticism would be "I don't know either way".

No, it's more "it cannot be proven (or dis), who cares? There certainly should be something in this life more worth worrying about."
On Apr 27, 4:51am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

There is - the cost of petrol!

Why worry about that? Pay it, or not. You aren't going to change it.
On 4/26/2011 2:45 PM, David Paste wrote:

That would make every one an agnostic as no one KNOWS either way.
BTW, you're still looking a little wet.
--
Jack
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

I went through that with a card carrying founding member of American Atheists who used to write a column for their magazine. According to him, lack of belief in a deity is atheism if you not only lack belief but don't care.
If you _care_ whether there's a deity then you aren't an atheist.
However the antitheists took over the movement instead of founding their own and he's as disgusted with them as I am--he still has his card but he doesn't participate in organized atheism anymore.

It would be nice if that was how atheists functioned, however many of them do not, they are absolutely certain that it has somehow been proven that there is no deity and anyone who believes otherwise is wrong- headed, stupid, and gullible, even if the atheist is a high school dropout and the believer is a PhD biologist or astronomer.
David Paste wrote the following:

It's a belief that there is no supreme being, and is as true as any other belief that there is a supreme being.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

That's one problem I have with the government policy toward prayer in the schools. Effectively it's favoring atheism. Now I'm not a believer in anything, including that there is no deity, but it bugs me that that viewpoint is getting preferential treatment.

No it's not.

No particular view is getting preferential treatment. Someone has already enlightened us that anyone can pray any time they want to in American schools, just not to the detriment of the lessons.
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

By that logic not allowing students to listen to iPods in class is effectively a policy to discourage music appreciation.
Students have the morning before they go to school to pray, they have much of the afternoon and all the evening as well, and of course the weekend. The notion that schools not setting aside time for students to pray during the school day is a burdensome denial of religious freedom or freedom of speech is fantastic.

Except, of course, when those being denied are Muslim. In their case special footbaths and prayer rooms are installed.