OT: I KNEW you' Merkans knew how to fix stuff:

Page 4 of 14  


Unbelief isn't a belief. Unbelief is simply not accepting as plausible the explanation given as a reason to believe.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In article <3eaa63fd-4454-4548-b092-580928215a90

Except the obvious one.
There's a paradox you need to work through.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What's the obvious one then?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In article <fcbd6013-b258-4781-974c-

You clipped out the relevant point.

I noted the paradox further down the thread but why not here too?
The paradox of unbelief is that unbelief is belief.
If you dig just a little, you will find that being human makes believing unavoidable.
The simple statement, "This world is real." is a statement of belief even though the evidence seems 100% conclusive.
The simple statement, "God doesn't exist." is also a statement of belief even though the evidence seems 100% conclusive.
It doesn't matter what foundation you build your world view from, if it is -kind- and serviceable enough, that should be enough.
Even though the word apathy carries a lot of baggage, it contains a clue to the true opposite of belief.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Apologies, wasn't intentional.

OK, so maybe I'll say the probability that the world is real is approaching 1. But it's easier to say "the world is real".

But there is no evidence, so there can't be 100% conclusive evidence either way, but the probability that there is a god is minimal (to an extreme), which, for me, is appropriate to say "god doesn't exist" in this situation.

No arguments here.

Not really, you can still believe in something whilst being apathetic towards it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 09:37:36 -0500, phorbin wrote:

Yes, there is a school of philosophy that says it's all in your head. Ranks right up there with the flat earth folks.
Accepting the *fact* that it's real is *not* a belief. Denying that fact is.
--
Intelligence is an experiment that failed - G. B. Shaw

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 4/24/2011 1:57 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
> Intelligence is an experiment that failed - G. B. Shaw ****************
G.B. Shaw solution was to invent a "painless gas" to eliminate those not worthy to contribute enough to society. Quoting this ass is less "intelligent" you appear capable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
eir00rOho
--
Jack
You Can't Fix Stupid, but You Can Vote it Out!
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:45:17 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Atheist's Prayer: "God, protect me from those who believe you speak to them directly."
Some JFs came to my door the other day and I stayed in my PJs to answer it. When I saw the "Jesus will save your sins" brochure in his hand, I quickly preempted his speech and said "I already gave at the office." And when he started to gear up for another tactic, I said "No thanks. Have a nice day." He responded nicely and said goodbye.
The first thing I'll do with a new CNC router (although the IRS took my initial funding for one last week) is produce a sign for the front of the house:
NO Solicitors, NO Watchtower (That means YOU, Jesus Freaks)
Maybe I'll make that last line a tiny one in deference to the ex-missionary (and current JF) who lives across the street but who has been kind enough to accept that I can't handle "organized religion" at _all_.
-- Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets; then can come the best of benedictions - 'If I had my life to live over, I'd do it all the same.' -- Joan McIntosh
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

What size, what kind of wood, font, budget?

A friend of mine in NYC has a sign in her office which reads:
I don't believe in organized religion I don't believe in organized crime and I don't believe in organized tours.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 21:42:26 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

And what else does Ms. Gotti not believe in? <snort>
-- Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets; then can come the best of benedictions - 'If I had my life to live over, I'd do it all the same.' -- Joan McIntosh
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Unfortunately, for you C-Less, you will never know how funny your remark is. ROTF
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:53:41 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Why do you suppose I made it? ;)
-- Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets; then can come the best of benedictions - 'If I had my life to live over, I'd do it all the same.' -- Joan McIntosh
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 4/22/2011 4:36 PM, David Paste said this:

That is not atheism, that is "agnosticism".

It is the least rational of all religions...
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim Daneliuk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, you are wrong. Agnosticism is not knowing if something is knowable or not - sitting on the fence type situation. Caution, if you like.
Atheism is not taking anyone's word on it. Essentially "prove it, pal".

Atheism is not a religion.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 4/22/2011 6:12 PM, David Paste wrote:

Nope, you've described skepticism, not atheism:
Noun
S: (n) atheism, godlessness (the doctrine or belief that there is no God) S: (n) atheism (a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods)

It is a system of belief, built on an unprovable premise, with a consequent system of epistemology, ethics, and anthropology. It is worst of all religions because its anthropology reduces mankind to mindless, soulless machines, it has no basis for ethics other than "what's good for me", and is incapable of defining a coherent cosmology.
All systems of belief in anything (including science) start with one or more unprovable premises. One of the only ways to compare them, therefore, is examine: a) Where does a given system lead you? and b) What are the consequences of adherence to such a system? Atheism fails miserable on both counts. A consistent atheist has no reason to live an ethical life, no reason to to see any transcendent meaning for their own life, and no basis on which to demand behavior norms from others. Like I said ... the worst possible religion.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

from:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0989370#m_en_gb0989370
scepticism
Pronunciation:/ˈskɛptɪsɪz(ə)m/ (archaic & North American skepticism) noun [mass noun]
1 a sceptical attitude; doubt as to the truth of something:these claims were treated with scepticism 2 Philosophy the theory that certain knowledge is impossible.
So yes, I'm happy to accept that I beautifully described scepticism (partly), of which atheism is related.
BUT. When you quote this:

I suggest you get a new dictionary, as atheism IS NOT A BELIEF! It is a lack of belief:
From:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0046450#m_en_gb0046450
atheism
Pronunciation:/ˈeɪθɪɪz(ə)m/ noun [mass noun]
disbelief in the existence of God or gods.
Origin:
late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god'
This, which you quote:

is quite correct.


No it isn't. It may be a framework of ethics and guiding principles, but they generally consist of nothing unique to themselves.

It is not for an atheist to prove a negative. The premise of atheism is not unprovable, it doesn't work like that. The burden of proof lies on theists. Make a claim, show your evidence.

It isn't a religion.

No it doesn't. Prove your claim!

Lies! I suspect you are simply parroting something someone else has told you, or gave you to read. I don't want to accept that you would have such sloppy thought processes that you think this statement is robust.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, could you please elucidate.

What?! You clearly don't understand science.

You aren't making much sense now.

Please explain.

BULLSHIT!
What's that got to do with anything?!

BULLSHIT. You are clearly labouring under misinformation fed to you by someone you trust, but who sadly has (hopefully unwittingly) lied to you.

Yeah, you keep saying it, but:
1. Atheism is not a religion, and; 2. Is your repetition to try to convince me of your claim, or reassure yourself?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 07:55:50 -0700, David Paste wrote:

<snip>
You mean people are *still* responding to Tim D? A lot of us gave up on him a long time ago :-).
--
Intelligence is an experiment that failed - G. B. Shaw

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Sorry about that - relatively new to the group!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Don't feed the troll. ------------------
"David Paste" wrote in message wrote:

Sorry about that - relatively new to the group!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Josepi wrote:

You're a top-posting enigma--and those are the worst kind! ;)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.