OT: I KNEW you' Merkans knew how to fix stuff:

Page 11 of 14
On 4/21/11 2:20 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Gotta love Alice and her fine establishment. :-)
--
Froz...

@gm.nospam.ail.com says...

Went looking for it once. The building is still there but the current owners have closed it and opened up a not very good but rather costly place next door. It was raining pretty hard and I was on my bike so I didn't go hunting for the church or get any pictures.
Robatoy wrote:

This reminds me of the Alice's Restaurant Movie
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Rich wrote:

Well I should have opened the next reply and I would have found out it is.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Well, it may be your opinion that no-one must ever get a slap for misbehaving (and these guys DO misbehave, it's far beyond 'free speech'), but it's my opinion that habitual troublemakers may be liable for a slap, and they deserve it. If they fail to engage at an acceptable adult level (assuming the 'other' is an adult), then sadly you may have to lower yourself to their level.
People need to take responsibility for their actions. ALL people, ALL actions.
The dear reverand is sitting in a Dearborn, Mi, jail cell tonight for refusing to post a $1.00 bail bond.
Having to sleep naked on a concrete floor without a blanket is undoubtly uncomfortable; however, it would appear he needs to be on sucide watch, else why would he refuse to post bail?
Lew
Morals and conviction? Has to demonstrate a simple life of poverty?
------------------------ "Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
The dear reverand is sitting in a Dearborn, Mi, jail cell tonight for refusing to post a $1.00 bail bond.
Having to sleep naked on a concrete floor without a blanket is undoubtly uncomfortable; however, it would appear he needs to be on sucide watch, else why would he refuse to post bail?
Lew

Google "Westboro Baptist Church".
The views are not the issue. The picketing several funerals a day shouting that the deceased deserved to die is the issue.

Wikipedia has good info too. Different countries have different rules. In England, the libel laws would probably prevent the Westboro Baptist Clique (IMO, it is NOT a Church) from doing what they can legally do here. While morally totally reprehensible, I have to yield to the Supremes' edict.
Civil disobedience type behavior to prevent the WBC members from doing their stuff is best. I hope thye never get close to me.
--
Best regards
Han

If Kelvin MacKenzie stood in the middle of a Liverpool council estate with a placard reading "The Hillsborough 96 burn in hell - they deserve all they get - god hates benders", can you understand that he might get a punch in the mouth? Now substitute MacKenzie for the Westboro Baptist Church and Hillsborough 96 for dead soldiers, and Liverpool for America and maybe you can appreciate the inflammatory shite they spout.

Worse -- these Westboro creeps aren't just spewing their vitriol. They're suing for monetary damages when their free speech rights are "violated." Seems it's the family industry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church#Funding

Sounds good, I'll have to check that out. Anything which can minimise car washing time is a winner. Now all we need is one of those auto- robot-vacuum things (roomba, is it?!) for the car and I'd be set!

Tim,
When the law isn't able to handle an issue or chooses to not handle an issue, people will work out a way of dealing with it themselves.
I disagree categorically with beating anyone up for his beliefs or for being obnoxious and shooting his mouth off.
OTOH I think that blocking the Westboro lot in the hotel parking lot amounts to an expression of freedom of speech and civil disobedience and a peaceful enough answer to a real problem.
In the same vein, I'd wonder what would happen if someone established a sue the pants off the Westboro bunch for defamation fund (or some such lawyerly reason) and kept them tied up in litigation forever. It'd be a long process of grinding but once the award money got used up they might have to go out and get jobs.
On 4/22/2011 8:52 AM, phorbin wrote:

The best thing to do with those malcontents is to simply ignore them. They came to my city to protest at a local high school. Nobody paid them any attention (OK, maybe about a dozen people did). After about 15 minutes their protest ended and they slinked away with their tails between their legs.

There was something in a recent news article about a Detroit mosque where Weaselboro Church was planning to picket or whatever, and the police were hitting them up for a $46,000 bill for additional police presence. Seems like a good way to go.

Nice. How that 'church' can get away with what are hate crimes and/or instigating a riot is beyond me. With all of this social networking bullshit amounting to nothing, I'm waiting for the day when people can vote on the spot to 'export' someone or revoke their church's tax exempt status. You get over 100 million votes asking you to leave, and, well, you're gone. Need a boat?
Robatoy wrote:

I strongly commend for your consideration the movie "Taking Chance." It tells the (true) story of an escort accompanying the remains of a fallen Marine to his home.
Without a doubt, one of the most moving stories I've ever seen and illustrates with vivid clarity, not only the ethos of our warrior class, but the respect and honor expressed by every American who crossed the path of the fallen and his escort.
Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtmiLdzzgGE

Note the line of cars that form an ad hoc procession behind the hearse in rural Montana.
And here's another snap from the same movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qMHHsl0nt0

In spewed forth:

Great movie, it should be required viewing for every American

I have seen it. It also reinforced my wish that those who make the decisions to wage war do so without the considerations for their defense contractor-friends.
Robatoy wrote:

You've got your wish. No American president, to anyone's certain knowledge, has ever done so.
Except, maybe, Abraham Lincoln.