OT: I KNEW you' Merkans knew how to fix stuff:

Page 2 of 14
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.org says...

I grew up in the Southeast and never knew anyone to get a beating for speaking his mind, at least not once I got out of high school. It can happen if you spout off about the wrong thing in the wrong bar at the wrong time, but that's true anywhere that there are bars. If you're black things may still be different--I haven't lived in the South in 20 years, but the people I know down there have mellowed considerably toward blacks so it might have.
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:25:59 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Of all the attitude adjustments I have seen it was usually off the wall behavior(such as westboro) and the recipient was warned.
I'll admit to having been on the sending and recieving end of such adjustments and I believe that overall it makes for a more polite society, in the long run.
basilisk
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.org says...

The thing is, Westboro is doing more than "speaking their mind". If they were doing it on a soapbox in the park they'd be ignored--it's organizing for the purpose of bad-mouthing the deceased at funerals that is the problem. Especially when the deceased is a child.

What BS!

They do if the speaking in question is to shout at the funeral of a person they did not know that that person deserved to die.

What is sicko is that someone can at the funeral of a person they did not know shout that that person deserved to die while the family of that person has no recourse against the shouter.

How about we make a pact. When your mother or father or wife or someone else you hold in equal regard dies, the members of this newsgroup will all fly to wherever the funeral is held and shout abuse directed toward the deceased and hold up signs expressing similar sentiments, and after that has happened you wil make a point of having all of the relatives thank us for our trouble and buy us a pint at the pub after. That sound like a good deal to you? If so, ask the other potential relatives of the deceased if it's OK with them.
wrote in message

The beatee was in a gas station running his mouth, Not at the funeral. Not the smartest thing to do, but neither was the beating.
Parking such that folks with Kansas plates would be unable to use their vehicles, however, was very smart.
Somebody wrote:

-------------------------------------- Somebody else wrote:

---------------------------------- The above process is more properly defined as an "Attitude Adjustment".
A trick from my youth.
Rather than a simple "attitude adjustment", a 5 pound bag of sugar in the gas tank also made quite a statement back then.
Today it would probably be liquid sugar.
Lew
No!
Today is would be Sucralose or Aspartame.
------------------------
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
The above process is more properly defined as an "Attitude Adjustment".
A trick from my youth.
Rather than a simple "attitude adjustment", a 5 pound bag of sugar in the gas tank also made quite a statement back then.
Today it would probably be liquid sugar.
Lew

HFCS.

There you go again. Forming an opinion without having all the facts. I'll even agree with you. Nobody deserves a beating for stating an opinion. On the face of it, that statement stands by itself, but there's other mitigating factors involved that include a church group with it's own agenda.
I'll say it to you again. Go read about the activities of this church group and then come back and tell me they are completely entitled to do what they did without any response. And, once you've read all the facts, consider if it was you or your best friend burying his son when this group of nutballs came around and "spoke" their minds.
wrote in message

The Beatee was in a Gas Station, Not at a Funeral! Unless, of course, the wake was being held at the gas station. Being the south, that would not surprise ...

Whatever rights the 1st Amendment gives and whatever laws might be in effect permitting someone to voice their opinion, there's one overriding consideration. That consideration is common sense. It means that you don't go to some location where you're a stranger and start spouting rhetoric that you *KNOW* is inflammatory. To do otherwise is asking for trouble. When someone goes looking for trouble, they usually find it.
You tell me that the Beatee in this case did not say anything inflammatory and/or did not display any placards voicing his opinion, then I'll agree he did not deserve a beating. Otherwise, don't waste your time telling me he "had the right". He might have had the 1st Amendment rights, be he certainly did not have any moral right and that's what's up for discussion here.
wrote in message

I don't recall seeing anything in print about what he said and/or displayed. And I'm not saying he wad the brightest star in the firmament, but I do not believe violence did anything but confirm some folks opinions of the south. I was stationed there in 1961-1962, so I know something of that area of the country. Apparently it hasn't changed much.
As to Moral rights, the people who administered and watched the beating surrendered the high ground when the first fist landed without objection.

I'd hazard a guess that everybody who watched the beating were ready to line up and beat him too. For all the arguing about rights to speech and making statements in less than desirable locations, it takes a particular type of misplaced arrogance, (phrases like lack of common sense, lack of self preservation, and innate stupidity also come to mind) for people like this beatee to do what they do.
I'm all for people speaking their minds, but there's a time and a place for everything and from what little I've heard of this nutball church, they risk being attacked wherever they go and deservedly so in my opinion. Does that make me some sort of redneck? Maybe, but I can live with that.
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 07:17:37 -0400, Upscale wrote:

I've heard that they make a living by lawsuits against those who attack or hinder them. Since most of the church members are also family members, we could consider them a "family business".

And institute an appropriate tax on their source of income.
wrote in message

That's sad. Because They Win.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 22:21:52 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

WBRs are uncivil, and when civilization breaks down, you get reactions from the people. They're self-policing...eventually.
Live with it, duuuuude.
P.S: It surprises me that D.C. has remained unscathed by this for so long. 'Dem CONgresscritters are masters of deflection. (If you didn't see Charley Reese's last article, you need to read it. http://goo.gl/00wzP )
-- Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences. No good is ever done in this world by hesitation. -- Thomas H. Huxley
Upscale wrote:

The "fighting words" doctrine denies 1st Amendment protection to those who would utter words that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace.
But all that means is that a government entity CAN prohibit someone from saying something outrageous.
That said, the doctrine does not give a pass to those who are offended by such speech - they are still responsible for their own behavior.

Incitement to violence.

Jury nullification can take care of that.