OT: I Don't Think This Company Should Go Bankrupt But - Good Lord!

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:38:58 -0400, Tom Watson wrote: Welcome to Dell. I had the same run around when I ordered my Inspiron

5150 just before Christmas. 7 weeks it took to get here, and in the end I made a special trip to the courier depot before I left for another city 2000km away. Having got the computer, I like it - it does what I want, but their service is shocking. As you say, the roundabout on the phone, never returning calls, never a straight answer, hard to understand accents. On the phone everyday in the end without results. I like the computer, but I hope it never breaks down. if they are like this when you are giving them money... Put me off getting another Dell without some seriously good reasons. Geoff

-- Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head

Reply to
Geoff M

Agreed.

Since my only portal to Dell was through the offshore customer service network, how am I to know that any information went upstream from there - even though I specifically requested to be bumped to an onshore representative of the company, and was refused?

Let's consider the issue of the missing order for the should-have-not-been-needed- port replicator - wherein the order was apparently lost - but realyl turned out to be a problem with my ability to understand the order number that was attempted to be communicated to me by the "I am thanking you very much for calling Dell customer service" guy.

Agreed.

There will be a war over this sort of thing, but you didn't start it - and economics will finish it.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

Someone from the Natatorium spewed some gibberish:

Goodbye, Nate.

I won't miss you.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

"Tom Watson"

Didn't like what I typed?

You're a moron. I get to tell you that. I'm certain Dell would LOVE to say the same to you. You've earned it.

- Nate

Reply to
Nate B

how's your woodworking going, Nate.

I'm guessing about as well as your personal skills allow.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

any chance on God's green earth you were so OBNOXIOUS to all the folks at Dell that they made sure you got what you deserved?? I can't believe that EVERYONE at the company dropped the ball, unless you gave them all provocation. They probably made copious notes in your customer profile to ensure your continued aggravation. Never complain about how much the pilot of your plane makes, and don't piss off the folks who sold you your pc...

cheers!

dave

Tom Wats> Dell has the worst customer service of any company that I have ever > dealt with. >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

you should return to grammar school, judging from that little outburst.

dave

Tom Wats> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

LOL!

dave

Nate B wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

"Tom Watson"

My personal skills?

Your personal skills couldn't solve a trite problem ordering your computer from a company that caters to the common public.

You clearly, perhaps accidentally, ordered something that didn't suit you. IMO, it was your fault for not reading the specs carefully. When you found out what you really wanted was going to cost more money, you had a childish tantrum about it. Maybe it's because you don't have much money. I don't know. I imagine you likely confused someone at Dell with your tantrum - but hey, sometimes these guys get confused on their own. Big deal. Some people actually know how to deal with that and move on with their lives - especially considering that it will likely be soon enough when you piss off and/or confuse one of your own customers.

Your self righteousness about the situation and desperate need for vindication and personal validation from as many faceless people as possible for such a small issue is truly pitiful.

- Nate

Reply to
Nate B

I see that little SDS problem is going along well.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

Go Nate!!

dave

Nate B wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:39:17 -0400, Roy Smith scribbled:

I still get that from my ISP/Phone company: Northwestel, the northern subsidiary of Bell Canada. Public kudos to them.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

On 07 Apr 2004 20:03:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) scribbled:

Noo Yok is OK in my ears, but you should hear some Newfs. It would make you yearn for Indo-Pakistani accents any day. Same goes for parts of Maine. I remember driving from Montreal to New Brunswick through Maine because the Trans-Canada was closed along the lower St. Lawrence as a result of a major blizzard. We ended up getting lost somewhere in northern Maine in the middle of a snowstorm and stopped at a gas station to ask for directions. I swear I did not understand a single word the guy said.

I had the same problem with an unintelligible singsong accent from an overly polite person a few years ago when I called SAS customer service in Cary, North Carolina. ;-)

My experience with accents is similar to Paul. I have no problem understanding Indo-Canadians (or other Canadians with non-English accents, like Chinese, Filipino, not to speak of the old Italians, Ukrainians, Hungarians and Glaswegians, and the French, of course). I've also done my best to lose my original French accent, mainly successfully, I tink (superfluous "h" omitted).

But when I called for service on my IBM machine, I had a really hard time understanding the other person who was obviously in India. Luckily, after a while, he switched me to their Canadian office, where I talked to another guy who had an East Indian name and accent, but with the telltale "eh?" at the end of some sentences. He talked me though a few steps and solved my problem in no time (XP had stopped recognising my network card).

So the moral of the story is that they should hire English-speaking Canadians from Quebec west (and maybe Murricans from the areas close to the border and from the west coast), who speak with an accent that is intelligible to all other English speakers. But then, they would have to pay them a decent wage.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

had my 'pooter go south on me last week. in the process of troubleshooting some drives, I booted a utility disk and ran a diagnostic proggy on a couple of them. it whirred and clicked for a while and returned an error number and a message to call an 800 number for further assistance. I did, and the guy answered the phone... I told him the error number and he asked for the serial number of the drive. I gave him that and he asked for my name and address. I did, and he said "OK, we'll send you a new one." nothing about a reciept, or whether the computer had been driven off of a cliff or whatever. the first drive arrived today. I expect the second one tomorrow.

thing is, best I can tell an IDE controller went postal on my motherboard. the drive wasn't at fault at all, but they didn't even blink, just sent me a new drive.

that's customer service.

Reply to
bridger

Hey Nate, what's your take on the myth of coplanar?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Luigi Zanasi responds:

Yeah. My kid sisster moved to ME about 40 years ago, give or take. Probably more. I have a a nephew still up there. I have to listen REAL close to what he says.

When I first moved to S. Central VA, I raninto something similar, as the closer to the Blue Ridge (Appalachia) you get, the more extreme the accents get. But my hearing was better back then, so adapting was easier. I still tease my wife about her family's accents though (and wonder how she escaped it), with at least one of my SILs and my MIL pronoucing "picture" as "pixture".

Hey, what can I say. Tarheels. Although he or she was probably from California.

Oddly enough, I have no trouble understaning an Indian accent when I'm face-to-face, or haven't so far. The Bedford, VA area has numerous small store owners (convenience mostly) who are doing well and who are Indian. Gathering rosebuds while they may, I guess, because everyone I've ever talked to plans to retire to India.

And there's the heart of the problem. Do a half-assed (or worse) job cheaply instead of a proper jog at greater expense. And we end up accepting it.

Charlie Self "Adam and Eve had many advantages but the principal one was that they escaped teething." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

... went through a long and difficult session with a family member getting a mac to work. It'll be easy I promised.

Hours of effort including reinstallation only to learn that data entry was done using the l (the letter) rather than a 1 (the number).

Response was that it worked on the typewriter...

Reply to
p_j

I once worked for someone who was involved with the Int'l Assoc. of City Managers. The president of the assoc at the time was from Lagos, Nigeria. I couldn't understand a word he said, although I was told his English was very good. I'd just say good morning and ask him to hold while I passed the phone to Bill :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

the State Attorneys General Office?? How on earth would you respond if you had a SERIOUS problem, TW? Talk about overkill... your overreaction just confirms my opinion of your ego mania.

dave

Tom Wats> After sending my nasty email to as many Dell addresses as I could find

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Good going Tom! They needed the wakup call. If not for themselves, for the next customers.

Tom Wats> After sending my nasty email to as many Dell addresses as I could find

Reply to
Jules