OT: I Don't Think This Company Should Go Bankrupt But - Good Lord!

Page 4 of 5
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 03:16:35 GMT, Paul Kierstead

I don't have anything against blind people - but I don't want them to be able to drive taxis.
I don't have anything aginst deaf people - but I don't want them tuning my piano.
I don't have anything against really tall people - but I don't think they make good jockeys.
And I don't have anything against people with Indian accents - but they should not have jobs whose very essence is clarity of communication - in English.
So, smack that.

<snip>
OK, I probably over-reacted a little. And to be fair, I am a very good very urban Canadian boy, which in many canadian cities means you had better learn accents or you are not going to survive. In Toronto, over 50% of kids in school do not have english as a first language.
But from your description I certainly do not see a failure to communicate clearly due to an accent as being the problem. The problem was that a) Dell presented out-dated information b) Dell refused to address your subsequent problem with that. It wasn't a failure to get the message, they just did SFA about it.
Neither of these had anything to do with offshore customer service. Personally, any company which uses offshore customer service I knock down a notch because I am sick of companies shipping more and more jobs and money (and dodging taxes) out of the country, but I still don't blame the offshore people.
Just my opinion; not really trying to start a war over it.
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:54:12 GMT, Paul Kierstead

Agreed.
Since my only portal to Dell was through the offshore customer service network, how am I to know that any information went upstream from there - even though I specifically requested to be bumped to an onshore representative of the company, and was refused?

Let's consider the issue of the missing order for the should-have-not-been-needed- port replicator - wherein the order was apparently lost - but realyl turned out to be a problem with my ability to understand the order number that was attempted to be communicated to me by the "I am thanking you very much for calling Dell customer service" guy.

Agreed.
There will be a war over this sort of thing, but you didn't start it - and economics will finish it.

Ayup. While I applaud Wal-Mart's efforts at hiring the handicapped, excuse me, the differently abled, one store on the north side of Indianapolis has IMO taken that just a bit too far. One of their employees has a *severe* speech impediment. Guess who makes the loudspeaker announcements?

Dell apparently thinks it's both relevant and a failure. Business accounts now go to a US based customer service facility (it only took the loss of a couple of big accounts for Dell to see the problem). Individuals, like Tom, are still stuck with the offshore support.
John
In article <pmkierst-

people that can barely speak the language? And that if you don't speak "the Queens English" with a lilt, they can't understand you either?
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

And to think that Dell has one of the better reputations...
I would hate to go with a brand that is not as good as Dell.
"Leon" wrote in message

The two To$shiba laptops I've owned have been pretty good machines, but If I could reasonably build my own laptop, I would. I've built most of the 30+ machines my businesses use, and have another dozen or so Compaq's we bought off a mortgage company going out of business a few years ago at less than $100/ea ... the hell of it is that HCAD continues to try to _appreciate_ the damn things for their property tax valuations.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/02/04

I build all my own desktop machines and I would never buy a laptop online, sight unseen, regardless of price. I want to be able to see the machine in person, make sure it's exactly what I want before I make a purchase.
If I can see it and then buy the identical machine online, fine. Otherwise, forget it.

I'm an Apple laptop user and scan mac headlines a couple times a week. It seems like every couple months or so, some mag or industry group rates customer service of PC companies and Dell and Apple go back and forth in the number one and two spots. At least if IIRC.
Maybe your experience is atypical or maybe customer service is a victim of price competition. I only bring it up for conversation.
Anyway, good luck.
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:13:19 -0500, p snipped-for-privacy@postzzzmark.net (p_j) wrote:

And maybe the best in the industry is not too good.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
p snipped-for-privacy@postzzzmark.net (p_j) wrote:

It's got to be 10-15 years ago, but I still remember one tech support call I had with Apple. I don't remember what the problem was, but it took a couple of calls to get things sorted out. What was so impressive was that they were correlating caller-id info into their trouble ticket system (this is back when caller id was a new technology).
As soon as the call was answered, the guy said something like, "Hello, Apple tech support, are you Roy Smith?". I was a bit surprised at this, but admitted that I was. He continued, "OK, I see you talked to John yesterday about your XXX and he told you to try doing YYY. How did you make out with that?"
With some companies, you could be 20 minutes into the call before you even get to that point.
Typing this on my 12" PowerBook G4. Awesome little machine.
scribbled:

I still get that from my ISP/Phone company: Northwestel, the northern subsidiary of Bell Canada. Public kudos to them.

had my 'pooter go south on me last week. in the process of troubleshooting some drives, I booted a utility disk and ran a diagnostic proggy on a couple of them. it whirred and clicked for a while and returned an error number and a message to call an 800 number for further assistance. I did, and the guy answered the phone... I told him the error number and he asked for the serial number of the drive. I gave him that and he asked for my name and address. I did, and he said "OK, we'll send you a new one." nothing about a reciept, or whether the computer had been driven off of a cliff or whatever. the first drive arrived today. I expect the second one tomorrow.
thing is, best I can tell an IDE controller went postal on my motherboard. the drive wasn't at fault at all, but they didn't even blink, just sent me a new drive.
that's customer service.
Tom Watson wrote:

Sorry for your problems. Dell CS has been fine with me. The last 4 computers I've bought are Dell.
I always go through the "Small Business" portal, not the "Consumer". Maybe that makes a difference.
Best wishes getting this resolved. Maybe you could get a member of the press to give 'em a call... <eg> Or a lawyer friend. My sister is a lawyer so I have occasional cheap access to letterheads from "Dewey Cheatham & Howe, Attorneys At Law" that get results.
-- Mark

One drawback is that when ordering from Small Business you pay sales tax in almost every state as Dell has service centers for business everywhere. When ordering through home, they only collect the tax in a couple of states
Tom,
Did they sell you this replicator for that price?
<http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA090U
Maybe this tale of woe will be enjoyable:
<http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid 052&cidu59844>
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:38:58 -0400, Tom Watson wrote: <snip the tale of woe, woe, woe>
After sending my nasty email to as many Dell addresses as I could find - and cc to the State Attorneys General Office in Austin, Texas - the home State of Dell (and having received a swift reply from the SAGO, which was also cc'd to Dell), the impacted bowels of the Dell customer service leviathan have begun to move.
Checking the online Order Status function on the Dell website shows that my order has gone from a back ordered status, through "kitting", "assembly", "testing" and "boxing" - in the space of one business day.
It would appear that the unit will be shipped by EOB this day.
Remarkable.
I'll be glad to take off this gorilla suit. It is scratchy and smells of the metabolic excretions of a pissed off consumer.
Thank you all for listening to my whining.
the State Attorneys General Office?? How on earth would you respond if you had a SERIOUS problem, TW? Talk about overkill... your overreaction just confirms my opinion of your ego mania.
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

Good going Tom! They needed the wakup call. If not for themselves, for the next customers.