OT - Humour or Insight

Page 1 of 2
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)*
Are we there yet?
charlie b
Quoth charlie b:

Close. Very, very close.
Charlie Self "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken
                    (_!_)
If you listened to former losers, we've been there every time.
Given the responses of the lefties here, I find the righties analysts' charge of "elitism" humorous. No intellectual responses noted.
Lots of curmudgeonly ones, of course. Next, another quotation from Ambrose Bierce - oops, lemme check Charlie, might already be one....

I don't know...were you elected?

Could you be a little more specific? I'm not aware of a Constitution that has a "it is the right and duty" sentence, though that doesn't mean there isn't one.
--

FF

(Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

I believe he meant the Declaration of Independence, which reads in part "when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

My bad. Not in the Constiution, but rather The Declaration of Independence.
sourve: http://www.law.indiana.edu/uslawdocs/declaration.html
"The Declaration of Independence of the Thirteen Colonies In CONGRESS, July 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,
******************** editor's note: here is a pretty radical idea *********************
--That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,
and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.
******************** editor's note: more radical stuff ********* But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,
it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government,
and to provide new Guards for their future security. ?Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain [George III] is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world. "
editor's note: It is only a coincidence that the document references George III and is not, in fact, referencing George 43 or is it George 45?
charlie b
<snip of a bunch of radical notions>
"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere." --Thomas Jefferson to Abigail Adams, 1787.
Old Tom had a lot of things right. And healthy political discourse, even when carried on in a woodworking forum, shouldn't be too radical a notion.
Long live freedom of thought and diversity of reasoned opinion. No one side has a monopoly on intelligence or stupidity.
Patriarch

We almost were.
"Unisaw A100"
plonk
"Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote:

ROFL! I'll bet getting plonked for an empty reply to an OT thread has gotta be pretty close to a first.
"Paul Kierstead" <

Every one I saw was blank. But everything had a first time...
"Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote in message ...

You must read only OT threads, his replies to topical discussions are well worth reading and you will miss a lot. This is simply his way of commenting about OT threads, of which there are way too many.

<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=author :!+>
--

FF

"Greg Millen"

So adding to them makes them less so? Maybe it makes sense to you but why click on a post if you know you don't want to read it? Obviously many do want to, a moderated group would be a better place for those who are so disturbed.
"Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote in message

I offered an explanation of why he was doing the blank posts but I can't argue with you as to why he continues to do so, that's his choice. Even if I end up agreeing with you about the 'right' to post OT, it won't affect him at all.
--
Greg

"charlie b" wrote in message

Old H. L. would undoubtedly agree that he was never as much a subject of his own quotations as when he stated: "the chronic human incapacity for accurate self-analysis." ... and then proved his own point quite nicely.
IMO, there is no higher form of moronic behavior than that exhibited by the losers in a democratic process when they attempt to label the winners as same.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

After all, what kind of person would take that job?
Dave