OT - Humour or Insight

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)*

Are we there yet?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Quoth charlie b:

Close. Very, very close.

Charlie Self "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

If you listened to former losers, we've been there every time.

Given the responses of the lefties here, I find the righties analysts' charge of "elitism" humorous. No intellectual responses noted.

Lots of curmudgeonly ones, of course. Next, another quotation from Ambrose Bierce - oops, lemme check Charlie, might already be one....

Reply to
George

I don't know...were you elected?

Reply to
David Hall

We almost were.

Reply to
Leon

"Unisaw A100"

plonk

Reply to
Fletis Humplebacker

Old H. L. would undoubtedly agree that he was never as much a subject of his own quotations as when he stated: "the chronic human incapacity for accurate self-analysis." ... and then proved his own point quite nicely.

IMO, there is no higher form of moronic behavior than that exhibited by the losers in a democratic process when they attempt to label the winners as same.

Reply to
Swingman

And how are those knife hinges working out, Charlie?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

After all, what kind of person would take that job?

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

TeamCasa responds:

Yeah, well that's not as big a problem as figuring out what kind of person would spend the treasure chest equivalent of a not-so-small country and work his, or (and soon) her, ass off to get such a job, one that most of us would, to be polite, shy away from.

It's a little bit like the humorist who claimed that he would refuse to belong to any club that would accept him as a member.

My first lesson in what it does to people was when I got a look at Ike in, IIRC, late '59, after seeing him on TV a few years earlier (b&w TV for the early view may explain part of it, of course, as people look different in person than they do even on color TV): he looked like hell, even though he was smiling and cheerful sounding. Facial lines, worry lines, all sorts of sags in the face. It may have been health, it may well have been lack of sleep, but it was fairly obvious that the worry of the Presidency had worn him down as nothing had before. Carter, in just four years, aged more than he has in the succeeding 20. Even Clinton the carefree aged more than the eight years he was in office.

The job is a killer and there are no real thanks in the century in which the person filling the job lives.

I wouldn't care to work hard enough to get elected, never mind put myself through all the minute-by-minute tensions of such a job.

Charlie Self "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

You've also noticed the aging ? The one exception I can think of is Regan.

Reply to
GregP

ROFL! I'll bet getting plonked for an empty reply to an OT thread has gotta be pretty close to a first.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

"Paul Kierstead" <

Every one I saw was blank. But everything had a first time...

Reply to
Fletis Humplebacker

You must read only OT threads, his replies to topical discussions are well worth reading and you will miss a lot. This is simply his way of commenting about OT threads, of which there are way too many.

Reply to
Greg Millen

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Could you be a little more specific? I'm not aware of a Constitution that has a "it is the right and duty" sentence, though that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

"Greg Millen"

So adding to them makes them less so? Maybe it makes sense to you but why click on a post if you know you don't want to read it? Obviously many do want to, a moderated group would be a better place for those who are so disturbed.

Reply to
Fletis Humplebacker

I believe he meant the Declaration of Independence, which reads in part "when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Doug Miller

My bad. Not in the Constiution, but rather The Declaration of Independence.

sourve:

"The Declaration of Independence of the Thirteen Colonies In CONGRESS, July 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

******************** editor's note: here is a pretty radical idea *********************

--That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,

and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

******************** editor's note: more radical stuff ********* But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,

it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government,

and to provide new Guards for their future security. ?Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain [George III] is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world. "

editor's note: It is only a coincidence that the document references George III and is not, in fact, referencing George 43 or is it George 45?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b