OT Humor: Great legal cases

Page 2 of 3

What temperature did you *serve* it at?
Given the amount of gadgetry McDonalds uses, you would think they could come up with a machine that would hold the coffee at one temperature and then serve it at a lower temperature. For a given temperature and flow rate, you could design a heat exchanger to remove the appropriate amount of heat. It wouldn't be that hard to do.
One of the articles said McDonalds claimed people were buying coffee to drink later at home or at the office, while their own research showed that people wanted to drink it in the car on the way there. It makes them sound like they don't know what they're talking about.
Most fast food places serve *everything* too hot to eat...
writes:

We served coffee at 185. This is what Bunn coffee machines are set for from the factory. The majority of restaurants use Bunn coffee machines. What about tea? The water should be brought to a boil before the tea bag is inserted. McDonalds is in a no win situation. They have to decide between quality or safety. The type of cliental at McDonald's makes me think that safey should win out.
Neal
Neal wrote:

I went through my period of being a coffee snob and that's what I learnt, run 200 degree water over the grounds.
Never worried much about holding temperature as even the bad coffee I now drink isn't around very long.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
<...snipped...>

How hot do you think it would have been if you used a percolator?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:38:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I don't think that's a valid assumption.

At what temperature do you have to start issuing warnings? Maybe it's just me, but I learned a long time ago that coffee is hot, and if I spill it on myself, it is going to hurt. If I were stupid enough to put a cup of hot liquid between my legs in a moving vehicle, I would accept the consequences of that decision.
I have the answer. When a cup of coffee is sold, it should come with a store employee to drink it for you. Since the employee must be returned to the store, most may wish their coffee to be consumed there instead of having to come back for the return. End result: drive up to McDonalds drive thru and pay a McDonalds employee to drink a cup of coffee for you.

<snip>

How long can we keep this no win debate going?
Early 60's, worked as tech in large computer room w/floating floor, so all entrances had been ramped up from original floor. Rear corner of comp. rm. was a hot/cold fountain with instant coffee, hot choc., etc.. One of the programmers was a polio victim in a wheelchair. When he would come in for a cup of coffee, the ONLY way he had to carry it was between his legs. Every so often the door(self-closing) would bump the back of his wheelchair on the way out, and the resulting "GREAT BALLS OF FIRE" would resound throughout the department. Nahmie
"Norman D. Crow" wrote:

Your premise is wrong. There was no ONLY way. Did someone say he had had to transport it in the original full open container? I doubt that. Did someone say that only he could transport it and not someone else transport it for him? I doubt that. Now a lawyer might be able to convince a jury that the ONLY way was.... but it wouldn't be true. Do you assume that he was too stupid to realize that he spilled it once, that he should do things differently? If he was that stupid he shouldn't have been programing. The truth was, he made a decision to continue carrying his hot beverage in a way that it would spill. He could have put it in a larger container so it wouldn't spill on him or a dozen different things. Get the drift? It was his decision process that resulted in the spills.

all
rm.
for a

Every
the
throughout
I was not working on a "premise"! It was intended as a little humor. If there was someone nearby, they frquently carried it for him, but if there was no one around, he put the PAPER cup from the dispenser rack between his legs, and generally was in good enough control of everything that he made it out the door and down the ramp without getting bumped. However, once in a while he would get jarred and spill a little(not the whole cup). The scream was not one of intense pain, just his way of letting the whole department he *screwed up* again. Get a life. Nahmie
"Norman D. Crow" wrote:

Sorry my humor level is a little low. Hey you wrote it and you said "the only way way he had to carry it...." That is a premise, you need to look in a dictionary.

Too lazy to look it up. Maybe I should have changed the emphasis to "the only way HE had to carry it". That work for you?(LOL) Nahmie
letseatpaste@RATATAT_TAThotmail.com says...

Hot coffee is supposed to be hot. That's why they call it hot coffee. The optimal temperature for storing HOT coffee is 175-180 degrees. McDonnalds was serving coffee well within that temperature range. The claim that other places do not serve their coffee properly is of no concern.
If we are going to follow your sill logic, then we should force all restaurants to pre-chew our food for us. After all everyone knows that people can choke on large pieces of food, and pre-chewing would prevent this. how dare those nasty stores not pre-chew everything and risk subjecting us to serious injury

Stupidity should hurt. When I hold something hot in my hand, I know what can happen, and behave responsibly. While this concept may be to complicated for some, I really don't feel the need to suffer for their ignorance.

This is a woodworking newsgroup. The makers of tools know of the dangers of such tools. A small percentage of users manage to hurt themselves on these devices. Just how much extra safety stuff should they be required to add onto their tools just to prevent a few Darwin candidates from showing their lack of smarts. Already, you can't buy a table saw in the EU that will accept a dadao blade.

Why should they be expected to pay out anything. She spilled the coffee on herself. If they wanted to be really polite, They might want to offer a refill, but expecting someone else to pay for a persons own stupidity is just plain pathetic.

McDonald's was serving coffee between 185 and 190 degrees, they require all their restaurants to do so. It's above normal, and it is of concern if they decide to serve their coffee hotter than anyone else. If everyone else brews their coffee at, say, 155, then most people would assume that it's the way McD's serves it. If you spill coffee from another restaurant on yourself, you won't need skin grafts.

There's a big difference between expecting the absurd extremes you're describing and brewing coffee at a more normal temp, in line with what most other restaurants do.

Do you know what third degree burns even are? Haven't you ever spilled something? It's just a mistake, it's not stupid. It's a mistake that happens all the time. It happens all the time.

If a company knows of a reasonably cost-effective way to make their product safe that doesn't ruin the function it's supposed to serve, then they should do that.
I'm not an anti-corporation person, and I think gov't over-regulation of private business is a bad thing... But when you have a clear case where a company knows there's a danger, has a history of people being injured by this danger, has a cost effective and reasonable way to avoid causing injuries,and makes a calculated decision not to do something about it, they should be punished for that.
That's all I've got to say, I'll let someone else have the last word if they want. I gotta go find my scraper and burnisher and smooth up some mahogany...
Happy Thanksgiving, Jonathan
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:37:10 -0600, "Jonathan"

You too, Jonathan.
This might save others a lot of posting time...
http://www.citizen.org/congress/civjus/tort/myths/articles.cfm?IDx5
No one knows for sure how much she actually finally got.
Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...
Trent
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:23:43 -0500, "G.E.R.R.Y."

I agree.
Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...
Trent
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:23:43 -0500, "G.E.R.R.Y."

I believe the judge remittitturred most of it and she got legal fees and medical fees out of it at the end. Nothing else, the stupid, scheming wench.
========================================================= CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

Something everyone here seems to have missed (unless I missed your not missing it) is she put the cup between her legs and TOOK THE LID OFF!
How frigging stupid can someone be as to remove the top of a styrofoam cup and expect it to be held between their legs? It's awful damned optimistic to think the cup wouldn't crush * with * the lid.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

My wife says there is nothing stupider than people. However maybe judges are stupider!! Ken in NS

I believe she got much more.

Not so stupid! lol
And...scheming?
All she wanted...at the very beginning...was for her medical bills to be paid. Wouldn't YOU think that was fair?
They basically told her to fuck off.
She basically told them....well, the rest is history! lol
Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...
Trent

No, she was the one that spilled the coffee, she's responsible for the bills.

Good.