OT:Humor

Page 1 of 2

National Park Service Yellowstone National Park West Yellowstone, Montana
Notice to all Rangers and Enforcement Officers RE: Grizzly Bear Population
Be aware that Grizzly (Brown) Bear populations in the park are up significantly this year. It is important to inform all visitors to take bear precautions.
It is recommended that all hikers and back-packers going into the back-country carry small bells on their clothing or packs. Carrying a can of pepper spray is also recommended.
Hikers and back-packers should also be informed about the differences between black bear droppings (skat) and grizzly bear droppings.
Black bear droppings will contain berries, and sometimes squirrel fur.
Grizzly bear droppings will contain small bells and smell like pepper spray.
On 6/28/2005 11:44 PM Mike mumbled something about the following:

Funny you should post this, I'm fixing to head through Yellowstone on my way to Sturgis (spending a whole day in Yellowstone).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

That will be quite a view from the back of a motorcycle! My grandparents used to live in Idaho and we would visit the park every few years. My wife and I went a few years ago and stayed at the Lake Hotel for a few days but I haven't been since.
If you haven't checked yet some of the roads in the park are either closed or have restricted hours this year. It might not mess with you depending on which way you are coming from. You can check them at this site: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/orientation/travel/roadclos.htm
Mike O.
On 6/29/2005 6:55 PM Mike mumbled something about the following:

Yes, heard about Beartooth pass, and we were planning on doing that, now we have to reroute thru Sylvan pass and deal with the construction delays or go out the south entrance. Other places we plan on hitting on this trip are: Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and Yosemite. Our planned route is 4800 miles in 9 days, starting from Atlanta GA, out to Yosemite, up to Walla Walla WA, and back across to Sturgis.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Sounds like great fun! Man, you're gonna have a sore butt!
Mike O.
On 7/1/2005 11:56 PM Mike mumbled something about the following:

Not at all, 500 miles a day is a breeze.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Yes, but you don't see anything.
Last year we spent 4 days to do 300 miles. This is in territory I've been through many times at your pace. Saw thing I never knew existed even though I passed them many times before. In that 300 miles, we used the Interstate for maybe 10 miles.
On 7/2/2005 8:01 PM Edwin Pawlowski mumbled something about the following:

There's a lot you can see and do when you cover 500 miles in a day. 2 years ago, we spent 6 hrs in St Louis and still managed 570 miles that day. Last year, we did 400 miles in one day through the Ozarks, managed to go to the have lunch at "Top of the Ozarks", ride a ferry across Bull Shoals, visit Branson MO, and never hit a single mile of interstate. Pictures can be seen at http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/Sturgis2004
500 miles is only 7 hrs of actual travel time on non-interstate (9 hrs on the most twisty of hiways), and only 6 hrs of interstate, leaving between 5 and 8 hrs of daylight to see and do lots of things.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Last time I drove cross country I spent 24 hours in St. Louis and did not see everything. You can take 6 hours just at the arch and surrounding area. There are a dozen restaurants worth visiting also.
Sure, you saw some highlights, but you missed so very much more.
> Last year, we did 400 miles in one day through the Ozarks, managed

You could have spent a week there and still not see the Ozarks.
Instead of the marathon you are doing, one vacation trip go a short distance, do it in depth, and see what is around you. That 500 miles was how many towns? How many did you stop at, meet the people, stop at the local eateries, check out the tiny museums? My dream trip is to take at least six months to cross the US and Canada. Have lunch in Beaveral, Sasketchewan then head for home.
On 7/2/2005 10:49 PM Edwin Pawlowski mumbled something about the following:

I don't intend to see everything. I could spend a YEAR in St. Louis and not see everything. That's not the point.

I saw what I wanted to see, a firetruck swap meet (2 hrs), and the arch (4 hrs).

I saw what I wanted to see. I could spend 5 years in the Ozarks and not see all of it. I know, I lived there for a while.

How about I do my 2 weeks of vacation the way *I* want to do my 2 weeks of vacation and you not tell me what I want to see? I'm not there to meet all the people, I'm not out to hit every local eatery or tiny museum. I'm on the trip to hit a few highlights that *I* am interested in.
If you're only taking 6 months, you'll miss out on too many things like all the little side roads, or the people who were out of town the day you stop in that little town of 42 people.

You're right. It should take a year or more, but I have to stop back home to get the mail and mow the lawn.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Simple solution.
1) Turn the grass to green concrete.
2) Get a mail forwarding service like the ones that cruising sailors use.
Lew
On 7/3/2005 1:09 AM Edwin Pawlowski mumbled something about the following:

You won't get to see it all in a year or 10 years, or 100 years. You need to take more time, you don't want to miss that dead end road to the right, or the one to the left, nor do you want to miss seeing that old burned down barn. Ah hell, you might as well forget it, you won't get to see it all anyway.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Take the hikes, steam locomotive trip, inner dam tour, and the hikes, respectively. Odinn. Mesa Verde is probably similar to Bandelier and I had a blast there. http://www.nps.gov/band /
And I'm still mad that my buddy (driver) wouldn't let me go inside the Hoover Dam for the tour that time, 25 years ago.
I've wanted to ride that steam loco at the Grand Canyon for years now but have never been there. I plan on the mule train down to the river overnight, too, once I do finally get to take that trip.
If you swing by the Sedona, AZ area, stop and take the train ride in Verde Canyon. When I went, it was about 80 and sunny on the way out. There was a severe thunderstorm which passed directly over us on the way back, so that was a -really- interesting trip. When you said "Mesa Verde", I thought "Verde Canyon." http://www.verdecanyonrr.com /
Yosemite is breathtaking, so make sure you walk around in the valley.

Man, where do 500,000 bikers SHIT at a shindig like that, let alone eat, drink, and sleep? Ay chihuahua! ;) That's a -longass- ride.
Fare thee well.
--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! --- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On 7/2/2005 10:23 AM Larry Jaques mumbled something about the following:

Mesa Verde is where the cliff dwellings are (http://www.nps.gov/meve /). They predate Bandelier (600-1200 AD).

It's possible that we'll get time for the tour, as it looks like we'll be in Vegas for 2 days now.

We don't have anything planned for Grand Canyon, other than stopping and taking in the view for a couple hours. We don't make any specific plans and kind of do things on the fly, just as long as we get our 500 miles per day in, which is pretty easy to do, as we made a 6 hr stop in St Louis year before last, and still managed 570 miles that day.

Not sure if we'll make it down to Sedona, since that will be backtracking a bit from Grand Canyon City to Hoover Dam.

We're spending half a day in Yosemite and a full day in Yellowstone

500,000 is a small group, there were close to twice that many last year :) and we shit anywere we want :) Actually, they have thousands of porta potties scattered all over the place.

Thanks
-- Odinn RCOS #7 SENS(less) SLUG
"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton
Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org '03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide '97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org
rot13 snipped-for-privacy@ngynagnovxre.arg to reply
Having spent a few summers working at Mamoth Hot Springs I can attest that this is one of those stories that lies more in fact than funny. For the person biking through I am curious as to what you will do if you are in a forty car traffic hold up when said bear is being observed on the park highway and it is your turn to fall under scrutiny? Granted the better bear encounters do happen at Glacier but one never knows. I saw the results of a Dodge Omni that was peeled open like a can of Tuna at Roosevelt lodge when I was there...
Knothead wrote:

Uh huh. I've read that bears have learned to recognize canned food and have no trouble opening the cans. To a bear, an automobile is just a big can.
--

FF

On 6/30/2005 8:32 AM Knothead mumbled something about the following:

Bear aren't the only concerns when out when on a bike some of the places we ride. http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/SturgisArea/DCP_0178 was taken after we had to stop for a herd of buffalo, they walked by as close as 3 or 4 ft from the bikes.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

I wouldn't feel as vulnerable in a car as on the motorcycle :)
--
Odinn
RCOS #7