OT-humor

Snip

I still have trouble explaining to people what a cammie blouse is.
That's the overshirt of the camouflage utility uniform, for the uninitiated. <g>
-Phil Crow
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Then what do you get when you buy a pair of pants, four legs?

Nah. if it's got 4 legs, its a *TABLE*.
If five, it's a glove....
wrote:

pair.
thus
Two outside & two inside?

says...

If that's the case, wouldn't Bra be plural rather than singular?
wrote in message

underwear".
pair.
thus
Welcome to the English language, where there is an explanation for every usage and a reason for none.
Bob Schmall responds:

And twice as many words as the next closest language. That's what makes it fun.
Charlie Self In a New Hampshire Jewelry store: "Ears pierced while you wait."
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

... but at least English language nouns don't each have a gender, the proper selection of which has no logical basis.
Mark & Juanita notes:

True. And I've always wondered, but been really afraid to ask, just how feminists do in those countries.
We lost the universal "he" and "his" to "their". What have the French et al lost?
Charlie Self In a New Hampshire Jewelry store: "Ears pierced while you wait."
wrote in message

thus
I was told several years ago by my Great Grandmother that pants, shorts, and underpants are called "pairs" because a long time ago they actually came in 2 pieces and you buttoned the leg sections, or halves, together. I have no idea if this is true because I never looked it up, but it satisfied the curiosity of a little boy at the time.