OT: Hulloo!

Page 2 of 2

Sat, Oct 22, 2005, 12:18am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.net.au (Groggy) burped out: <snip> For those who care, I am now tool rich but time poor. I get toscan here occasionally but have receded to an Oz moderated group where I can find things a bit faster. I hope everyone is well and getting some (that's shop time Buddy - puhleeze!).
Looks down, recognizes Groggy at the bottome of the world, jumps up and down, and wildly waves back. I just kinda drift in and out of here anymore. Nice to know you done well, and are rich. Hate to say it, but you're probably better off in your Oz group - here there be trolls. And BS, pure BS, not the fun type. I'm doing well, but shop time's all I've been getting lately - but working on changing that. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Say hi to Oz for me.. Take care.
Later
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:39:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

The troll babies must have pathetic lives to feel they have to invade a group of woodworkers who only exist as rust on hard disks spread across the globe - all very sad really.
I mean, how do they know there isn't another group of trolls, us for example, who post seemingly woodworking related posts to attract them in here to waste their time? :-)
cya
Groggy
Sat, Oct 22, 2005, 10:57pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.net.au (Groggy) doth say: Umm, that was "tool rich", not just "rich" - I wish! (don't we all). The troll babies must have pathetic lives <snip> - all very sad really. <snip>
Yup, understood. But, so many of the people out there with money nowadays are such total - hmm, how do it say it politely? - well, "dipsticks" is about as polite as I can put it. Tools is good. Not to put everyone with money down, I have met a few with money, and one or two with some really, really, serious money, who are really outstanding people. But, so many more, are just plain dorks.
Trolls are sad, pathetic, little dorks - which may partially explain why they are trolls. They consider their existance miserable, and want to pass it off on anyone they can. It's kinda sad too, that probably, with not too much effort, most of them could actually meet someone real, not pretend, of the opposite sex, and go out on an actual date (their mother does not count). Seems like they seldom make the effort tho.
Ah well, life is basically good anyway. Take care.
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green
scribbled:

Luigi waves back
<wave>
Hi Grogs. Hang around a bit, will ya. We need you here more than your fellow Strines.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking

G'day Luigi! I'll try to hang around a little more, might be difficult in the next week or two though. How is the other task coming along? Did you manage to make and send something?
I have been looking at your work in the Wikipedia, great stuff Luigi - it's a credit to you.
cheers,
Groggy
Groggy (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| <Groggy shuffles in> | | Looks around and recognises some old faces | | <waves>
Morris pokes his head out of a cloud of sawdust, sneezes, and waves back with both arms. Looks around shop (again) for any trace of intelligent design and finds none. Shrugs and kicks a stack of turtles out of his way as he heads for the keyboard.
| "hey there jo4hn, Leon, Doug, Dave (all of you except the BAD one), | Tom, Luigi, Mike, Morris, Larry, David, Charlie(s), Todd, the Johns, | Jay, Barry, Theo - is that you back there?, Phil, P van, Steve, | Edwin, hylourgos, Rob, Swingman, Nahmie, Buddy, Bridger, Robatoy, | Rumpty and hey! where's the Canuckistani? Chuck? you there Chuck?, | Toller, Jeff, Andy, Upscale, DJ, Patrick, Andy, Lew, Thomas, Bob, | Bahb, DJ, Nuno (still here Noons? Wave son), Phully, Ron and Keeter | (!) - where's Keith gone? O'Deen? Steve La?" | | Singing "where have all the woodies gone, long time pa-asses"
Most are still around somewhere. Lately it's been rather like a contest to see who has the strongest stomach. At times it would seem that rational thinkers are scarcer than straight tuba-fors. Still, there are enough who craft to outlast themselves to make reading worthwhile.
| <looks around at the posts>
The noise level seems to follow Mother Nature's mood. It's been a rough year all around the world, and that shows up even here. Add to that the discontent with the unusually inept performance of those who make their living by feeding at the public trough; and you get a lot of people wanting to do (or at least say) something to make things better. Lotsa babble.
Thanks for stopping in - I hope you can stay for a while...

I haven't noticed all that much of the crude or racial stuff since I added about a dozen swear, racial and political words to my filter. Either that or in combination with my becoming so inured to them that I gloss over them without taking much notice.
Upscale (in iY6dne snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com) said:
> [...]
It not the words that give me indigestion, it's the lack of honest thought before they're spoken/written.
I have a tendancy to become particularly queasy when people claim unquestionable knowledge of the unknowable. More so when they exhibit the conceit and arrogance of attempting to impose their personal beliefs on others.
I don't even try to filter it - I prefer to know exactly where the snakes are.

It's unfortunate, if you're going to be conversing regularly in this medium, you're going to become hardened against it. The kind of interchange you'd prefer is mostly attributed to people one actually knows, not disembodied text carried over the ether.
Upscale (in snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com) said:
> [...]
I spent enough years on comp.lang.c to be about as thick-skinned as I'll ever be - and I think your assessment is fairly accurate: I /do/ try to treat people as if we were in the same room. Neither/none of us are 'etherical abstracts' to our selves - so it seems reasonable to me to neither treat anyone else nor allow anyone else to treat me as other than a real person. It's a Golden Rule kind of thing.
As in everyday life, I avoid the vexatious individuals and try to keep a figurative "eye" on those I consider dishonest and/or dangerous - and also as in everyday life, I try to remain aware of the effect of what is being said might have on impressionable young folk. For example, I'd a lot rather that a ten year old read that the circular saw blade was invented by a woman than that breast size (real or otherwise) has anything to do with success as a craftsperson.
Come to think of it, I /am/ feeling a bit disembodied. I think I'll go raid the refrigerator and pour a cup of coffee.

CW (in NuT6f.696$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net) said:
| || I have a tendancy to become particularly queasy when people claim || unquestionable knowledge of the unknowable. More so when they || exhibit the conceit and arrogance of attempting to impose their || personal beliefs on others. || | Current government must really bother you.
As a woodworker, I would be fearful to sit on a chair made by such people - to say nothing of sitting on it at their table and swallowing anything they might serve.
<ot> Umm, yes - which government were you talking about - North Korea, Iran, Syria, Somalia, ...? </ot>
Sun, Oct 23, 2005, 9:44pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (CW) Current government must really bother you.
Poliiticians bother "me", period. Along with myriad other undesirable traits, most of them seem to believe that, the second they enter office, that automatically makes them the world's leading authority, on any, and all, subjects. I feel fear. And, "professional" politician? Is that anything like "professional" criminal?
Hypertext Webster Gateway: "politician" From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 (gcide) Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. [Cf. F. politicien.] [1913 Webster] 1. One versed or experienced in the science of government; one devoted to politics; a statesman. [1913 Webster] While empiric politicians use deceit. --Dryden. [1913 Webster] 2. One primarily devoted to his own advancement in public office, or to the success of a political party; -- used in a depreciatory sense; one addicted or attached to politics as managed by parties (see , 2); a schemer; an intriguer; as, a mere politician. [1913 Webster] Like a scurvy politician, seem To see the things thou dost not. --Shak. [1913 Webster] The politician . . . ready to do anything that he apprehends for his advantage. --South. [1913 Webster] From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 (gcide) Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, a. Cunning; using artifice; politic; artful. "Ill-meaning politician lords." --Milton. [1913 Webster]
From WordNet (r) 2.0 (wn) politician n 1: a leader engaged in civil administration 2: a person active in party politics [syn: , , {political leader}] 3: a schemer who tries to gain advantage in an organization in sly or underhanded ways
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green

Hey!! They're holding up the universe, doncha know?

Well Hey! Back at ya;
Of course we care. Got any gloats?
Hope we see you back around ...
--