OT: Huckabee, Ughh

Page 1 of 13
Christian right (CR) is locked in. I was hopeful that Guliani would win for the Reps because he wouldn't pull as much of the CR. Former preacher as Pres? "Wall of Separation" between church and state???? Scary.
I am referring to the Iowa Caucuses. :^(

*starts practicing speaking in tongues*

GW:
Quite. There was a newspaper story about him holding up a disaster relief bill in his state for a month because he refused to accept inclusion of the ancient legal phrase "act of god". Add that to another one that pointed out his interference in the parole process of a violent felon whom he had prayed with. Though he denies instructing board members what to do in this case, they refute him. After the criminal got out, he did a murder which checking may show also involved a rape.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Check your constititution, no "wall of separation" between church and state is even remotely mentioned. The idea is patently absurd as it would require people elected to office to operate in a manner inconsistent with their conscience.
What the constitution does say is that "Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" Pretty straightforward

Agreed... I'm not pushing for any one candidate jsut yet. I want to see what floats to the top or sinks to the bottom at this point... But... The separation of church and state was to keep the state out of the church, not the other way around... Morals and concience are based on religion for many people. Remove the religion and you might as well have a free-for-all because there is no long term accountability beyond the human aspect of life.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

If the only thing that keeps you from killing ppl is a belief in an Invisible Sky King then, by all means, keep believing...

You missed the point during your sarcastic reply. If there are no long term consequences or higher moral standards for people to follow, many would degrade into selfish, self-serving oxygen theives under (and maybe even without) the infleunce of power. Why do you think that congress / the government is so corrupt? There are no real consequences for them other than embarassment.
V8013-R

You speaking for yourself here, Joe? If you lost your faith tomorrow could we count on you to launch a crime spree against the rest of the citizenry? What I hear you saying Joe is that your religion is the only thing keeping you out of prison or off of death row.

I don't know any non-believers, Joe, that have ever been arrested, much less convicted. In fact, I would venture that more crimes against humainty have been cmmitted in the name of god that just about about any other motive save money. And religion generates no shortage of money motives by itself.
--
"New Wave" Dave

Not necessarily me... Althought there are some oxygen theives I might just go after. <grin>

I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable grouping those who do things in the name of God as those who actually have a healthy religious base... But this is going way OT... I'm gonna back out for two reasons:
1. Preserve the newsgroup
2. I don't have time to answer this stuff as quickly as it should be. e-mail me privately and I'll gladly discuss it in detail. Personally, I think violence on a grand scale has been perpetrated by those with no belief in a God more often than by those with a belief system in place.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

term
Agreed ... formula below:
(Ignorance of Adam Smith capitalism with moral base/"economic man" as moral man) + (Law school curriculums blurring distinction between morality and legality) + (lawyer politician/lawmakers) + (corporate greed) = (Corrupt, morally and economically bankrupt, culture)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Tis an age-old argument.
Is man inherently good or inherently evil?
I opt for good. Most people left free to make their own decisions avoid hurting other people. People will argue and fight with each other, but it takes a believe in a higher authority (e.g. fascism, communism, or religion) to get them to unite in mass murder.
--
FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

And Rwanda was which of the three?
Rod
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

One reason Africa gets ignored and efforts to "help the Africans" fail is that it doesn't fit in with what "enlightened" people want to believe.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Rwanda was originally proffered to dispel the silly point Fred attempted to make....
I don't know whom these enlightened people are but I'd think the problem lies a bit closer to home......anything short of overwhelming exterior force require local participants to make the right choices.....akin to the drug addict or the alcoholic, recovery starts within. Rod
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

You are being very "transgressive" and "culturally insensitive". I suggest you get more PC by reading:
http://philip.greenspun.com/zoo/index
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I'm so ashamed......I'll try to make a determined effort to forget everything I know including facts, truisms and reality<G>....Rod
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

Precisely.
--John

Sounds like a precis of the situation in Iraq. Or Haiti, or Bosnia, or Vietnam....
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

I'd suggest the single most common cause of mass murder was to band together in the name of "the common good".