OT: How Well Is No Call List Working

Page 3 of 4
Thus the value of being informed versus merely angry. Those you do business with, and they will tell you as a CY(T)A, political and charitable are not covered. For others, you refer to the DNC enforcers.
Probably 95% of solicitations are or were boiler-room operations, though those you hire are still your responsibility.

Phone companies, politicians, and charities are exempt from the do not call list.
I get more than ever since putting my name on the list a couple of months ago. Once got 61 "out of area' calls in two days the week b4 Christmas.
Dave

Plenty of loopholes (some appropriate) for charities, politicians and company's you've done business with in the past. Also plenty of disreputable contractors ignoring the lists.
IIRC - you had to say something akin to "We do not accept calls for solicitation. Put this number on your do-not-call list." rather than (the more cathartic) "Piss off!" :)
Also - those anectodal stories of people getting $$ from offenders are apparently true. If so inclined, put a notepad by the phone and start tracking the vitals. Maybe you can get some bux out'a them.
Personally - I opted for the RBOC's "No Solicitation" feature for our line. I chose it long before the DNC lists were being setup. The downside is $6/month. The upside? From 8-12 calls a month to zero, zilch, nada, zippo - not one in over 3 years.
Charlie, and all else...
Go to "www.donotcall.gov" and you'll find a COMPLAINT choice which is quite simple to use. They advise you should have had your number on the list for a minimum of 3 months. A form asks for your number, the number and name of the party who called (if known), the date, and the time of day. Maybe a couple more items, I don't recall.
Good luck, Lurker
Charlie Self wrote:

It is real easy to file a complaint. All you need is the phone number OR the name of the calling party and some information from you. I have used it twice(pretty sure it was for the same company each time) a couple of months apart. We used to get several calls a day before the list. Now those two are the only ones I have recieved since putting my name on the list.
Rob

Charlie Self wrote:

Just for the record.
I just noticed that you were referring to a call from the AT&T credit card people. AT&T sold their credit card business, including the name, back in the1997/1998 time frame. I recall Smith Barney Inc. was one of the player, but I'm not sure who ending up buying that segment of AT&T's businesses.
Charlie Self wrote:

Marijuana, cocaine, crack, LSD, underaged drinking, pre-marital sex, extra-marital sex, jaywalking, speeding, driving without a seatbelt...
You didn't think making it illegal was actually going to stop it did you?
I just stay on the net all day. Keeps the phone calls down. :)
I hate to hear my phone ring, really. It's always
* my boss * one of SWMBO's friends/relations * a spammer
Hardly ever anyone else. Nobody except my boss or a spammer *ever* calls to talk to me. <sniff>
What's your number, I'll and talk to ya! Same thing here!!!
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Jerry Gilreath wrote:

867-5309 :)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

So far, it's worked really good for us. Only violators thus far have been two messages from a consumer debt service that appears to be trying to do an end-around the intent of the law because it is a "non-profit" (but of course, they do charge a fee) and MCI. We have (as of last Saturday, make that 'had') MCI long-distance, thus MCI felt entitled to call us and offer us local as well as long-distance despite the fact we are on the no-call list because they have an existing business relationship with us. My understanding of the intent of the law regarding existing business relationships was to allow companies to call regarding accounts, etc. without having some idiot go after them for violating the no-call list, not to allow a company with whom you do business bother you for more business. Seems a pretty stupid thing to do, you know your customers don't want to be bothered, but you feel you have the sacred right to bother them anyway since you have an "existing" business relationship? Anyway, it motivated me to get in gear and switch LD carriers, a task I was planning to do for quite a while anyway.
Mark & Juanita writes:

I've always wondered about the spammers who lay on the munged words, say replacing a letter with # or $ to skip around someone's filters. Do they really think popping that header up is going to entice someone who doesn't want to hear from them anyway?
An awful lot of modern business seems to fish for customers with irritants--I'm getting less and less able to watch pro sports these days because of the commercials. And the PSA spots are getting more aggravating by the week: I really don't appreciate seeing a PSA on smoking from a talentless rap group (probably redundant) or a bunch of grinning teenage goof-offs creating problems around an office building any more than I want to buy Depends or Ensure.
Charlie Self If God had wanted me to touch my toes he would have put them higher on my body.
Charlie Self wrote:

Sounds like the reason why I stopped watching TV.
(Well, I watch a little, since it's the only way to be in the same room as SWMBO, but I don't make a habit of it.)

That's not for you. That's to fool blocking software that looks for certain keywords. Add some funny characters or 1 for l or 0 for O and it'll get past.
Dennis Vogel
snipped-for-privacy@patNOSPAMmedia.net says...

That's what he was saying. Why try to get around somebody's blocking filters when you know they don't want to see what you're sending? You are only going to make those people even more angry and certainly aren't going to get any more business.
The one's that really get me are the ones that have nonsense in the subject line -- same reason, plus by randomizing the crap they get around some ISP's filters as well. Do they really think I'm going to open an e-mail with the subject, "garcia clarinet montevideo bud shameful"? BTW, that's a real spam subject line from one in my filter bin.

The ones that baffle me are those from Asia that use an oriental language and character set. Not only are mosts of the recipients in the western world not interested in whatever the postings have to say, they can't read them anyway. Talk about a total waste of bandwidth!

Aha, so he was. As Roseanne Rosanadana used to say, "Never mind!'
Dennis Vogel

Mark & Juanita wrote: > Seems a pretty stupid thing to do, you know your customers don't want

Well, that worked out well for them, didn't it? It's amazing to me how poorly they seem to understand people. A similar call motivated me to cancel all of my long distance service; I no longer have a LD carrier. I've been using onesuite.com (2.5 cents/minute anywhere in the US/anytime) for a while, but hadn't gotten rid of the LD carrier because I didn't know I had the option of not having one at all.
Anyway, that phone call tore it. I called BellSouth and cancelled AT&T. I've used onesuite (like a calling card) exclusively ever since.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@BARFcarolina.rr.com

AT&T hasn't a clue about customer relations. We received a letter a month or so ago wanting us to return to using AT&T long distance. I sent them a reply stating that if they hadn't shafted us so badly previously, we wouldn't be an ex-customer. Magazine publishers have known for eons that it's far cheaper to retain a current customer than it is to find a new one.
Regarding no-call, I don't recall receiving any such calls since the law went into effect. Prior to that, we'd get two or three per day (and many more when the callers' dialing machines malfunctioned).