OT: How Well Is No Call List Working

Just got my second call from a credit card companyi n 2 days. This time, they played a recording after I answered (part of the recording, anyway).

They're pushing some kind of credit card insurance.

I do NOT and never have had the cards they're pushing.

WTF gives? I thought this crap was illegal: last night, it was AT&T, I didn't get the name today, as I just roared "Piss off" and hung up. I'm in the middle of doing charts for a book, and that is enough to make me grouchy anyway.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

You have to register your number on the do not call list. It may then take a couple of months for the list to get to the telemarketers. It has worked great here in NY State. We have had it for a few years now.

Reply to
Frank J. Vitale

Don't you wish you could screen the call and forward it to BFE if you don't recognize it?

Reply to
Leon

Frank Vitale responds:

I was among the first however many to register my numbers, but in 2 days I've received calls on both house phones. That's the Feds. I don't think WV gives a shit.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Leon asks:

I was going to get a policeman's whistle before the NC list. I may go back to that idea, but this crap of starting tapes for someone to listen to is insane. No sentient being will listen to an unsolicited telephone tape. Will they?

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

I signed up for the Texas DNCL and haven't gotten a marketing call in a year ... it is so effective thus far I didn't bother with the national list.

Reply to
Swingman

Even if it was a real person on the other end a whistle wouldn't work. In the digital environment used by the phone companies high levels are "clamped" to a reasonable volume.

Nova

Could be you've had some dealings (however minimal) with the offending corporations in the recent past? One of the caveats we've got to be aware of is this little loophole for the bastards, as they can call you for the next 6 months, I believe. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I also have one of those Telezappers on my home phone. I get *VERY* few calls these days. Most of the ones I get are from places I've done business with before (newspaper, credit cards, carpet cleaning). When I ask them not to call, they happily comply. At least, so far.

Bear in mind there are still disreputable companies that will ignore the law and count on you not wanting to bother pursuing them about it.

Reply to
Saudade

Well, as I said, one caller identified herself as from AT&T's credit card division. I've never done business with them, and until now I didn't figure they were disreputable.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Have you done business with AT&T, like for long distance or local phone service? Maybe that gives them a loophole to call you.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

AT&T recently received a hefty fine for DNC violations and is appealing the fine. AT&T contracts out the job of telephone solicitations, and according to the company, it appears that some of the contractor's employees may be the culprits.

Nova

Same here in CT, only much longer.

I can't remember the last telemarketing call.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Remember the politicians made sure to exempt political calls. With the silly season getting underway I imagine things will start to pickup.

Stuart Johnson Red Oak, Texas

Reply to
Stuart Johnson

I get more than ever since putting my name on the list a couple of months ago. Once got 61 "out of area' calls in two days the week b4 Christmas.

Dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave

AT&T is already in deep with the Feds for this forward your info to the Fed and let them take it from there. The CC companies may have done business with you in the past which allows them to continue to contact you until you tell them explicitly that they don't have legitimate access to you. Piss Off won't do, unfortunately. %-) Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Plenty of loopholes (some appropriate) for charities, politicians and company's you've done business with in the past. Also plenty of disreputable contractors ignoring the lists.

IIRC - you had to say something akin to "We do not accept calls for solicitation. Put this number on your do-not-call list." rather than (the more cathartic) "Piss off!" :)

Also - those anectodal stories of people getting $$ from offenders are apparently true. If so inclined, put a notepad by the phone and start tracking the vitals. Maybe you can get some bux out'a them.

Personally - I opted for the RBOC's "No Solicitation" feature for our line. I chose it long before the DNC lists were being setup. The downside is $6/month. The upside? From 8-12 calls a month to zero, zilch, nada, zippo - not one in over 3 years.

Reply to
mttt

Thus the value of being informed versus merely angry. Those you do business with, and they will tell you as a CY(T)A, political and charitable are not covered. For others, you refer to the DNC enforcers.

Probably 95% of solicitati>

Reply to
George

Mike Iglesias asks:

Nope. Last contact was about 10 months ago when I canceled my AT&T cell phone because they wouldn't give me what I wanted. I think my wife has an AT&T card, but I'm not on that. We've got something called Verizon for local and long distance here.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Charlie, and all else...

Go to "

" and you'll find a COMPLAINT choice which is quite simple to use. They advise you should have had your number on the list for a minimum of 3 months. A form asks for your number, the number and name of the party who called (if known), the date, and the time of day. Maybe a couple more items, I don't recall.

Good luck, Lurker

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
lurker