OT: How Well Is No Call List Working

Page 1 of 4
Just got my second call from a credit card companyi n 2 days. This time, they played a recording after I answered (part of the recording, anyway).
They're pushing some kind of credit card insurance.
I do NOT and never have had the cards they're pushing.
WTF gives? I thought this crap was illegal: last night, it was AT&T, I didn't get the name today, as I just roared "Piss off" and hung up. I'm in the middle of doing charts for a book, and that is enough to make me grouchy anyway.
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
You have to register your number on the do not call list. It may then take a couple of months for the list to get to the telemarketers. It has worked great here in NY State. We have had it for a few years now.
Frank Vitale responds:

I was among the first however many to register my numbers, but in 2 days I've received calls on both house phones. That's the Feds. I don't think WV gives a shit.
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
Charlie Self wrote:

AT&T is already in deep with the Feds for this forward your info to the Fed and let them take it from there. The CC companies may have done business with you in the past which allows them to continue to contact you until you tell them explicitly that they don't have legitimate access to you. Piss Off won't do, unfortunately. %-) Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote in message

My CC company used to call too. During one campaign they were agressively marketing something or other and calling quite frequently. My wife asked them politely TWICE. When I answered the THIRD call that week I told them any further calls would result in canceling our 2 CCs, and moving our checking/savings/CDs to another bank. That was about 2 years ago - no calls since (Kudos to Chase).
-Chris

On a related note, I noticed that around Nov-Dec of 2003 the number of junk emails (Spam) that I received decreased dramatically. My filter used to get about 40-50 each day, and another 10 or so would sneak past the filter to my inbox. Since that time the filter gets about 5 per day and maybe 1 or 2 more sneak by. I wonder if they were scaling back in advance of the Spam law that went into effect on 1/1?
-Chris
"Chris" wrote in message

Certainly not noticeable around here. Still catching some 350 - 400 per day on three accounts. We wrote a front-end for our mailer which goes through a list of RBL's and marks the subject line of matches with the characters "[SPAM]". That allows me to dump those in the Delete folder where they are automatically counted before being flushed on the way out ... we have seen nothing but a steady increase in spam despite misguided laws and anti-spam vigilantes.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

You mean the "I can spam bill?" Perfect example of government intervention making things worse instead of better. Clever SOB's keep finding ways to get around my filters (I'm gonna wind up kill-filing everybody on concentric but myself at the rate things are going). Eudora doesn't have the best filtering capability, but I had been keeping stuff in the in-box down to about 5 or six a day. The last several days it seems like about 20 or more are getting around the filters.
OT: Anybody have any advice on using regexp's in Eudora filters? I'd like to screen out html with embedded gif's
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:09:08 +0000, Mark & Juanita wrote:

I've been using spamassassin (spamd/spamc) with evolution, and noticed a similar pattern. At first, it was almost bullet proof, but more and more are getting through the last month or so. There are some extensions that can be integrated with spamassassin that I'll have to look into. I use PAN for a news reader, and it has it's own set of filtering capabilities that work well.
-Doug

You might try this filter:
Header <<Body>> matches regexp .*\.gif.*
Caution: this is completely UNtested. No warranty, express or implied, etc.
I think its also that they got bored of people replying angrily, if they replied at all. and they realized that the time when this was a good marketing tool ended a while ago, since less and less people are willing to even bother reading spam.
in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Chris at snipped-for-privacy@mybluelight.com wrote on 1/9/04 7:34 AM:

Living in Iowa, we are besieged with calls from every Democratic candidate there is - I generally get two a night. They are immune because of the politics. I've even replied to Howard Deans website per instructions in his emails to stop them, they simply disregarded and I'm getting as much from him as I get spam. Even if I did like him, (which I don't) it would be enough to go another direction because you can see what they think of us. It will all stop the day of the caucuses, then they will all be directed to New Hamshire.
Don

My regular phone line works great. Can't recall the last unsolicited phone. I never added my fax line and it has been getting three to five calls a day. I'm going to leave it as is, because: 1. I never answer it 2. While my fax line is ringing some other person is not being bothered. 3. I hope that at least every so slightly the caller is annoyed by the fax tones.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

I was going to get a policeman's whistle before the NC list. I may go back to that idea, but this crap of starting tapes for someone to listen to is insane. No sentient being will listen to an unsolicited telephone tape. Will they?
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
Charlie Self wrote:

Even if it was a real person on the other end a whistle wouldn't work. In the digital environment used by the phone companies high levels are "clamped" to a reasonable volume.
Charlie Self wrote:

Probably not a tape. Probably a computer voice mail thing. "If you want information about making your penis larger, press one now. If you want a free vacation to Wally World, press two now...."
I get a *lot* of those from poly-ticks. Um. Politicians.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

Yeah, that trick is even better than before no-call when the occasional idiot solication would ring, then when you answered the phone, would give the message, "please hold for a very important message". I don't like being put on hold when I call someplace with which I *need* to do business, and they think I'm going to hold for a @#$% *sales* call?

The taped messages have been illegal since the original TCPA was passed, circa 20 years ago.
Robert Bonomi responds:

Jeez, someone should have told the twits who called me and played, or started to play, a tape about every week after I moved into a city: they were pitching septic tank treatments, so it might no have penetrated.
Charlie Self If God had wanted me to touch my toes he would have put them higher on my body.