OT How useless is tech support these days..

Page 3 of 4
On 4/29/2014 9:29 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

I do recall the last HP all in one that I bought increased boot tome to nearly 12 minutes, 6 years ago. That was up from about 4 minutes. HP suggested uninstalling their software and using Windows vs. boxing the unit back up and returning it to OfficeMax.
On 4/29/2014 10:29 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

feed. So much so they replaced it after trying to repair it and failing. They gave me a lower end model.. I was not happy. That printer was junk too, as it had problems feeding.
That's when I went and bought an HP for my son. That would be the last HP printer I would own. Years ago in the office HP was king. Not anymore.
My Canon has to be 8 or more years now. I use it on the network wired. I prefer wired for the printer. Now they all seem to be wireless. But I would disable and still go wired.
--
Jeff

That's actually not too different from my experience: the HP hardware is fairly well made, and problems are not frequent. But if you do have a problem... then God help you, trying to get competent technical support from those clowns.
That's why I call them Useless Bastard: because of their horrible tech support.
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in wrote:

Like I said... there's a reason that "Hewlett Packard" sounds like "Useless Bastard".
Doug Miller wrote:

barrel. I think they are one of the "most-hated" companies (there is a survey out there somewhere).
On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 14:33:26 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

I had a problem with an HP monitor. Called tech support and got a guy (in the US) with such a heavy Indian accent I only understood every tenth word. I asked him, politely, if we could continue via email. He essentially said I could shove it, and not very politely. So much for HP.
On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 09:55:54 -0400, Lee Michaels wrote:

I have 2 Brother lasers, a B&W and a color, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They support Windows, Apple, and Linux. I've printed 4500 pages on the B&W and I'm still using the toner that came with it. I've printed about 400 pages on the color one and it says it has 99% left of all the colors.
I know you're looking for a lower cost inkjet, but if you don't print on a regular basis you'll wind up replacing a lot of clogged cartridges - I know I did.
On 4/29/2014 11:21 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Which one/s are you using, Brother laser?
Larry Blanchard wrote:

"Chuck" wrote:

Have the same unit that I described in previous post.
Uncovered something useful when bringing unit on line.
HP provides software that resides in puter.
It also provides software that is resident to the printer.
After changing cartiridges, it is necessary to align and test print to place in service.
If you use the puter resident software, you have a 50-50 chance it will work.
If you use the printer resident software, works every time.
Found this out from an HP tech service supervisor who really knew her stuff.
Yes, female.
BTW, this was a 32 bit puter running XP and the printer was hard wired to the puter.
Lew
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in
*snip*

Printers don't necessarily have to be networkable to work on a network. I've got a QNAP box that is combination data storage (Network Attached Storage--great for backups) and print server. I still have to plug the printer in to the computer to scan, but I only scan once in a blue moon so it's not a big deal.
It's been a while since I set it up, but I remember having to plug the printer in to install the drivers then moving the cable back to the server. Then once the network printer was opened it was set as default and everything works perfectly.
It might be more than you want to get in to, but it might let you use a printer you may not have otherwise bought.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 14:09:03 -0500, Leon wrote:

The B&W is an HL5250DN (prints both sides). The color is an HL3070CW. Neither are current models, in fact I bought the color one refurbished. I suspect this one is as well:
http://www.brothermall.com/Printers/Model/hl3070cw/Specs
On 4/29/2014 7:22 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I suspected that you may have models that have been discontinued. ;~(
Thank you just the same, good to hear that Brother is still getting good reviews. I should be receiving my new print head and ink cartridges from Lexmark tomorrow. I still have almost 2 years of warranty left but this print head issue is becoming more trouble that it is worth.

The HP's hardware is excellent. The software is a nightmare and getting worse.

Brother had them ages ago. I used Canon printers for over 10 years, through the Pixmo 3000 and 6000 series. Each model got worse, untill the 6500 series when I quit using them ( half of the 35 I had in use either didn't make it through warranty or failed within a month after warranty.) I switched to OfficeJet Pro 8000 from HP. We've had a few print head failures and 2 have been damaged by operators pulling stuck paper out backwards.
Can't buy any more new ones, so I've been buying used on e-bay.

Anyone's "cheap" printers are junk - and Canon decided "cheap" was easier to sell than "good". At least HP still gives you a (limitted) choice.
On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:13:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

printer. I've been closely associated with 2 of them. Under moderate use, both got expensive real fast - and both had numerous memory failures, and both had the main boards replaced under warranty. Both have been scrapped for several years now.

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 09:55:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

with the HP- - - - - - -
On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 09:55:54 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

I have Officejet pro 8000 printers with hundreds of thousands of copies on them, without any issues.

then buy new ones, and refill them untill THEY run out. $4/oz for black, $8 per oz for colour.