OT How useless is tech support these days..

Page 2 of 4
Leon wrote:

So we could say, they are doing it so that the ink cartridges are not "commodotized"--improving the pricing perspective. Same game--follow the money.

Bill wrote:

they? Upgrade the unit, all of the parts incompatible with the old? They wouldn't, right?

On 4/30/2014 2:41 AM, Bill wrote:

LOL. Well, their screws/ink cartridges will work in conjunction with any model pocket hole jig/printer regardless of model. ;~)
Leon wrote:

obsolete screws will be able to keep your old ink cartridges company. ; )
I wouldn't worry, except I saw a "late night infomercial" of their joinery jig the other night. I found it interesting to listen to "how little" one needs (to have or know) to do woodworking. Just a circular saw, a drill, and their joinery jig... Of course, they have never been upfront of the fact that you don't really get the "whole" kit for $99... One will find, that just covers the first installment.

On 4/30/2014 2:27 AM, Bill wrote:

On 4/29/2014 9:55 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

problems. It will scan, copy and print. Does photos that look professional. I couldn't be happier. Also it is network and wireless though I haven't used it that way. Got it at Office Depot.
On 4/29/2014 9:55 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

We have a HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One that we have used hard for over 5 years with no problems. Started using it with Win XP now connected to Win 8.1 still no problems.
We bought a Canon MX459 wireless printer. Less than year old now, it works with my iPhone, and my wife's laptop, and tablet so far no problems with the MX459.
On 4/29/2014 10:09 AM, Neil Ward wrote:

I'm also in the market for a new printer and was looking for that supports Apple AirPrint. We use iPhones and iPads in the house, although the computers are Windows machines (7 and 8.1)
Have had good luck with Canon's thus far, and you can't beat the price of that one for an all-in-one. (detest FAX, but required for me as many of my sub's are still in the stone age).
Thanks for the heads up ... that one is now on my short list.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Thanks everybody for your input. I installed a HP printer for my wife and had a lot of problems getting it up and going. I spent hours with an Indian techie who had a heavy accent and kept reading the manual to me. I finally figured out the problem myself. Support was useless. The printer has worked just fine since then though. And she hardly uses it.
But I refuse to have anything to do with driver issues or bloatware. So, no HP.
I have had good luck with both brother and canon before. I will look around some more. Thanks again guys. Hearing some stories from others does add to a little clarity to the issue.
On 4/29/2014 10:47 AM, Swingman wrote:

FWIW, AirPrint for a little over 2 years now.
http://www.brother-usa.com/PressReleases/AirPrint%20Press%20Release%201%2017%2012_FINAL.pdf
"woodchucker" wrote in message
Don’t get me started... I could go on for days but I need to sleep!

I've got an old HP that I use the drivers from Windows Update for. It's a much better experience, as it just works. If you have the choice, install the drivers from Microsoft rather than the HP garbage.
Without the HP drivers, the printer actually used up the ink in the cartridge. The print got so light I had to change it. It was nice to use up all the available ink rather than having some piece of garbage software program tell me it thinks I'm out of ink.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

"Leon" wrote:

Two things.
Cold day in hell when I would pay $400 for a consumer grade printer and it goes without question you buy a NEW device to replace an out of warranty puter type device.
Over 20 years ago bought a Panasonic 4450I for about $1,200 as an alternate to an HP printer and worth every penny.
Printed 11-12 pages/minute for hours on end.
No longer necessary in today's market.
Lew
On 4/28/2014 11:35 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

That was inexpensive for what I was getting, so to speak. Legal sized all in one with 5 different color large inks. It's biggest issues was software, of course. HP had to help set it up the first time and it was boxed up ready to go back to the store at one time during the first 24 hours. Just out of warranty the scanner quit moving the light/reader across the platen and its days of scanning were over.

1986. Panasonic 9 pin dot matrix, followed by 21 pin same brand. Neither had a problem other than being noisy. Followed by a Canon BJ-300, black only bubble jet. Fast and was capable of printing very thin lines. Replaced because color was becoming common.
Then the HP crap, if you will recall the type that did not use tractor feed paper. As a result, all paper including HP brand paper did not feed straight and bordered prints always looked crooked. I put up with that for years until the last HP, which was the last. Using Lexmark now and was happy until the last year or so. Print heads dry out prematurely. Prints good otherwise. Looking to go laser next time.
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:37:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You're right about the scanner support in more ways than one. I had a really decent HP scanner and it was working great. I upgraded to Windows 7 and found that HP refused to put out a Win 7 driver for it. No work around for it anywhere. Sold the scanner for $25 and bought myself a good Canon scanner. I refuse to have anything more to do with HP.

You might want to have a look at Xerox when you go laser. I've got an old Xerox laser printer that uses solid ink instead of powdered toner. I was very impressed when I bought it a number of years ago and I'm still impressed with it.
One thing really nice about solid ink is that you can add it as needed to the printer even when it's running. Can't do that with toner cartridges.
http://www.office.xerox.com/product-resources/8570/DN/enus.html
There's cheaper laser printers, but none I've found that are as convenient.

Is Xerox still in business? ;~) I looked hard at a Xerox before getting the Lexmark.

I am not so much into buying a cheap printer as being able to afford refills. There is something wrong with the picture of ink refills being 80% of the price of simply buying another new printer. Laser might be another matter.
On 4/29/2014 10:21 AM, Leon wrote:

I used to refill my cartridges back in the day.
Buying a quart made sense. But now there are so many different brands, and getting accurate colors might be a little more difficult.
--
Jeff

On 4/29/2014 1:05 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I refilled back in the 90's. That worked fine and then the printer balked at using the cartridge and that was that.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in

[...]
I've had two Brother printers, ne in my office, one at home, for some years now (one is 4+ years old, and the other must be nearly 10) -- and have had only one problem of any significance, a software glitch that was fairly easily reset. Both are multi-function units (print, scan, copy, fax).
Over the years, I've also had several Epson printers, retiring them only when they became obsolete. When my son's Canon printer died two weeks after he went off to college (four years ago), we bought him an Epson to replace it. Total problem count for all the Epsons we've ever owned over all the years we've owned them: zero.
Obviously, I'd recommend either of those brands without hesitation.
The hardware from Useless Bastard is well-made, but their software is s**t: install an HP printer, and then spend the next hour UNinstalling all the useless crapware that comes along with the printer driver. On top of that, their drivers are poorly written: it's not unusual to see an HP printer driver using 50% of the CPU time when you're not even printing anything. And the support is about the worst I've ever experienced: apathetic, incompetent, and rude.
I have no comments on the quality of Epson's tech support -- I've never needed to use it.
The few times when I've had questions for Brother's tech support, they've been very pleasant and helpful.