OT How useless is tech support these days..

Don't let plastic scare you, My last HP was loaded with steel inside and the scanner locked up.

One of the trends that I see and looking at the refill sections at the store is the vast number of different cartridges that HP uses. They tend to go obsolete and or HP changes stiles continuously. Why are they constantly changing ink cartridges, you might ask yourself. I fear the reason is to make you upgrade as different cartridges are phased out.

Any more it is hard to get just a printer/scanner W/O FAX. The copier is a wonderful function along side the scanner.

I have never ever had an issue with Panasonic, if you can find one or Canon. I hear nothing but good about Brother and that may be my next brand or Canon again.

Reply to
Leon

Is Xerox still in business? ;~) I looked hard at a Xerox before getting the Lexmark.

I am not so much into buying a cheap printer as being able to afford refills. There is something wrong with the picture of ink refills being

80% of the price of simply buying another new printer. Laser might be another matter.
Reply to
Leon

I have an HP 3520. Have had it for over three years and have had no problems. It will scan, copy and print. Does photos that look professional. I couldn't be happier. Also it is network and wireless though I haven't used it that way. Got it at Office Depot.

Reply to
Chuck

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:535faf70$0 $1315$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

[...]

I've had two Brother printers, ne in my office, one at home, for some years now (one is 4+ years old, and the other must be nearly 10) -- and have had only one problem of any significance, a software glitch that was fairly easily reset. Both are multi-function units (print, scan, copy, fax).

Over the years, I've also had several Epson printers, retiring them only when they became obsolete. When my son's Canon printer died two weeks after he went off to college (four years ago), we bought him an Epson to replace it. Total problem count for all the Epsons we've ever owned over all the years we've owned them: zero.

Obviously, I'd recommend either of those brands without hesitation.

The hardware from Useless Bastard is well-made, but their software is s**t: install an HP printer, and then spend the next hour UNinstalling all the useless crapware that comes along with the printer driver. On top of that, their drivers are poorly written: it's not unusual to see an HP printer driver using 50% of the CPU time when you're not even printing anything. And the support is about the worst I've ever experienced: apathetic, incompetent, and rude.

I have no comments on the quality of Epson's tech support -- I've never needed to use it.

The few times when I've had questions for Brother's tech support, they've been very pleasant and helpful.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Swingman wrote in news:Le6dnVFGbPkYO8LOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's actually not too different from my experience: the HP hardware is fairly well made, and problems are not frequent. But if you do have a problem... then God help you, trying to get competent technical support from those clowns.

That's why I call them Useless Bastard: because of their horrible tech support.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Like I said... there's a reason that "Hewlett Packard" sounds like "Useless Bastard".

Reply to
Doug Miller

I do recall the last HP all in one that I bought increased boot tome to nearly 12 minutes, 6 years ago. That was up from about 4 minutes. HP suggested uninstalling their software and using Windows vs. boxing the unit back up and returning it to OfficeMax.

Reply to
Leon

We have a HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One that we have used hard for over 5 years with no problems. Started using it with Win XP now connected to Win 8.1 still no problems.

We bought a Canon MX459 wireless printer. Less than year old now, it works with my iPhone, and my wife's laptop, and tablet so far no problems with the MX459.

Reply to
Neil Ward

Exactly. Our HP AIO is a decent piece of hardware. The software is crap. The drivers seem to "disappear". Especially bad with a wireless network connection. It's visible and accessible on the network - just will not print or scan. A wired connection works somewhat better. Sometimes works fine for a month. Sometimes requires re-installation for every use. Sometimes scanning multiple pages is fine, other times the scanner gets "busy" and we cannot recover without rebooting both PC and printer. HP's support forum shows the same problems going back seven years with no resolutions.

Canon's Pixma series is looking pretty good.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

I'm also in the market for a new printer and was looking for that supports Apple AirPrint. We use iPhones and iPads in the house, although the computers are Windows machines (7 and 8.1)

Have had good luck with Canon's thus far, and you can't beat the price of that one for an all-in-one. (detest FAX, but required for me as many of my sub's are still in the stone age).

Thanks for the heads up ... that one is now on my short list.

Reply to
Swingman

I had a problem with an HP monitor. Called tech support and got a guy (in the US) with such a heavy Indian accent I only understood every tenth word. I asked him, politely, if we could continue via email. He essentially said I could shove it, and not very politely. So much for HP.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I will take a look at this one too.

Thanks everybody for your input. I installed a HP printer for my wife and had a lot of problems getting it up and going. I spent hours with an Indian techie who had a heavy accent and kept reading the manual to me. I finally figured out the problem myself. Support was useless. The printer has worked just fine since then though. And she hardly uses it.

But I refuse to have anything to do with driver issues or bloatware. So, no HP.

I have had good luck with both brother and canon before. I will look around some more. Thanks again guys. Hearing some stories from others does add to a little clarity to the issue.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I have 2 Brother lasers, a B&W and a color, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They support Windows, Apple, and Linux. I've printed 4500 pages on the B&W and I'm still using the toner that came with it. I've printed about 400 pages on the color one and it says it has 99% left of all the colors.

I know you're looking for a lower cost inkjet, but if you don't print on a regular basis you'll wind up replacing a lot of clogged cartridges - I know I did.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

------------------------------------------------------- Have the same unit that I described in previous post.

Uncovered something useful when bringing unit on line.

HP provides software that resides in puter.

It also provides software that is resident to the printer.

After changing cartiridges, it is necessary to align and test print to place in service.

If you use the puter resident software, you have a 50-50 chance it will work.

If you use the printer resident software, works every time.

Found this out from an HP tech service supervisor who really knew her stuff.

Yes, female.

BTW, this was a 32 bit puter running XP and the printer was hard wired to the puter.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I used to refill my cartridges back in the day.

Buying a quart made sense. But now there are so many different brands, and getting accurate colors might be a little more difficult.

Reply to
woodchucker

I've had the Pixma MX850 for years now. It's been great. No complaints. Even when I updated to win7 I was able to get drivers from Cannon.

I only wish that the scanners would autofeed small things like receipts. You only have so much glass for the flat scanner, so long receipts would be nice to autofeed which go until the end. They are too narrow. That's a request for a feature, not a complaint.

I keep all my more important reciepts on the computer now. Very handy.

Reply to
woodchucker

I had epsons .. I can say that I had nothing but problems with the paper feed. So much so they replaced it after trying to repair it and failing. They gave me a lower end model.. I was not happy. That printer was junk too, as it had problems feeding.

That's when I went and bought an HP for my son. That would be the last HP printer I would own. Years ago in the office HP was king. Not anymore.

My Canon has to be 8 or more years now. I use it on the network wired. I prefer wired for the printer. Now they all seem to be wireless. But I would disable and still go wired.

Reply to
woodchucker

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:535faf70$0$1315$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

*snip*

Printers don't necessarily have to be networkable to work on a network. I've got a QNAP box that is combination data storage (Network Attached Storage--great for backups) and print server. I still have to plug the printer in to the computer to scan, but I only scan once in a blue moon so it's not a big deal.

It's been a while since I set it up, but I remember having to plug the printer in to install the drivers then moving the cable back to the server. Then once the network printer was opened it was set as default and everything works perfectly.

It might be more than you want to get in to, but it might let you use a printer you may not have otherwise bought.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I refilled back in the 90's. That worked fine and then the printer balked at using the cartridge and that was that.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW, AirPrint for a little over 2 years now.

Leon