OT How can anyone take PETA seriousely?

I know, I know, this is a WW forum but it is ironic that an organization like this has any credibility at all, AND that any one takes them seriously

PETA is going after President Obama for swatting a fly.

Next up they will be going after the medical industry for trying to eradicate cancer.

Is there any wonder why we are where we are?

I suggest the government use 25% of that trillion dollar stimulus package to fund and require the classes listed below in every school, grades 7 through

  1. And everyone must pass all grades before graduating!

  1. "Friggin" Common Sense 101-601

  1. Personal Finance and Budgeting 101-601
  2. Understanding what borrowing money and carrying a balance on a credit card really costs you. 101-601

"All" politicians must take these classes and pass before receiving another pay check and returning to office.

Reply to
Leon

I believe in catch and release for flies, mosquitoes, ticks and other small pesky critters. It's bad though how many of them do not live through my catch, they seem crushed.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

The big PETA media thing in Seattle is that they are protesting the "fish throw" at the pike place public market. Apparently fish get their feeling hurt if hurled. What these morons don't understand is that the "fish hurl" was a solution to getting fish over a counter in a very crowed public market. In other words, the business would not do as well if they didn't do this. It isn't just a publicity thing. It is a practical thing that supports jobs and business.

Lee Michaels

We were at a pool party once and my oldest daughter swatted and killed a fly. One of the other guests started crying and ran in the house over the death of the fly. The rest of the guests just laughed at the peta lady. We later found out peta lady is also a pet communicator - WTF.

If putting mascara on bunny rabbits will cure my wife's cancer, I'll hold the bunny down.

Reply to
cm

I think the government should use some of the stimulus money to conduct a study to see if the common house fly is a threatened species. A will only cost a couple of billion dollars and it will keep a few PhD's busy for a dozen years or so.

I also think the only reason that the President could kill the fly is that it was overweight. Most likely caused by eating full strength mayonnaise off of some potato salad during a picnic last weekend. The government should require that all picnic foods be low fat, or at a minimum, the fat content be adequately displayed so flies can make a proper choice on whose picnic to disrupt.

I live next door to a animal loving, tree hugging, wack job. This behavior is the norm for them - trust me.

BTW - Did you ever want to ask Noah why he brought 2 mosquitoes on the ark to begin with?

Larry C

Reply to
Larry C

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

I used to wonder as you do now. Then I read "The True Believer" by Eric Hoffer.

Hoffer says people join mass movements to add meaning to their otherwise meaningless lives, that people mind their own business when it's worth minding; when it's not they take their mind off their own nothingness by minding other people's business.

Other gems:

  • A mass movement can exist without a god, but it will surely fail without a devil. The movement must have something to hate. In this case, people who kill flies (no one cares if flies die of natural causes - there's nobody to hate).
  • People join movements first, THEN adopt the putative goals of the group.
  • Membership in mass movements is interchangeable. Whether Fascism, ban-the-bra, down with nuclear power, or put modesty clothing on farm animals, the memberships overlap significantly.

Now, when I see a march for democracy in Iran or gays carrying "freedom to choose" banners, I merely shake my head.

Reply to
HeyBub

PETA is adept at using outrageous stunts to get publicity for itself. Once it has people's attention it then presents two faces. The first is more reasonable and convinces millions of people to donate millions of dollars to the organization so they can prevent animal cruelty blah blah. The second face, the one they don't promote so much, is moonbat crazy. PETA's goals include eliminating *all* use of animals by humans--food, companionship, clothing, medicine--everything. In PETA's world beloved pets are actually slaves, and PETA has been known to kill dogs and cats they have "liberated" from animal shelters rather than risk those animals again coming under human control. Yup, carpet-chewing crazy.

Reply to
DGDevin

Relate the following to your neighbor:

Adam & Eve were vegetarians.* It was only Noah and his descendants that God gave permission to eat meat.**

Now Adam & Eve started out in trouble. By the time of Noah, the world was so hoplessly depraved, corrupt, and wicked that God had to destroy it and start over!***

I don't KNOW that there's a connection between vegetarianism and debauchery, but I'm not willing to take the chance.

------ For those that want to look stuff up:

  • Gen 1:29, 2:16, 3:18
** Gen 9:3 *** Not that Noah was a gem. The Bible calls him "righteous in his generation," meaning he was merely the best of a bad lot.
Reply to
HeyBub

I support PETA...

People Eating Tasty Animals

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You just discovered their real objective.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'D TATOO HOPPY'S LITTLE ASS..

Reply to
Robatoy

I believe there is a newsgroup for that, but you need binary access.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

c/PETA/DNC/all

Reply to
keithw86

"Leon" wrote in news:GJmdnQU3gqUBoqfXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

PETA did put a researcher out of business who was using cats (the only viable model) for drug addicition research.

I am a supporter of People Eating Tasty Animals

Reply to
Han

I've always admired the argument that "If God didn't mean for man to eat animals, he wouldn'ta made 'em outa meat."

I understand that "vegetarian" was an North American indian word that means "lousy hunter".

;)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey wrote in news:4a3acfce$0$87067$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

I have the most respect for vegetarians. They are generally the most peaceloving people. It requires a lot of work to get a balanced diet, though, since some of our dietary requirements are almost exclusively meat-derived. Thus I also think many vegetarians who do not get a balanced diet are misguided, to say the least.

Reply to
Han

Maybe it was a tall tale, I'll never know, but my Dad told me that when he was a boy he was given a rifle and ONE cartridge and told, "Go get breakfast".

A case of get something or go hungry, you learn to shoot accurately in a hurry under those conditions.

All I know is I watched him "Bark" squirrels with a small single shot .22 until he was past 40 when he had to start wearing glasses and lost his "Eye".

SFWIW, When he started wearing glasses was the first time I was able to beat him shooting straight pool.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Did you guys see the show a year or two ago about PETA? I had to watch out of morbid curiosity! At one part they showed the president of PETA driving down the road, pulling over and stopping her car to get out and check out a dead pigeon!! A friggen pigeon, a rat with wings! The woman is certifiable! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Killing them is cruel. Some poor frog went to bed hungry last night, one fly short of a good meal. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski